2584Re: Combining diacritical marks display as separate character

  • Kenneth Reid Beesley
      On 12 Mar 2009, at 07:51, Sven Siegmund wrote:

      > Hello, thanks for the details,
      >
      > On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Tony Mechelynck
      > <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
      >> Current versions of gvim can display (by default) two combining
      >> characters on any spacing character, which is usually enough for
      >> Arabic,
      >
      > Yep, two combining marks are enough for me.
      >
      >> Which exact version and patchlevel of gvim are you using? You might
      >> want
      >> to copy the first handful of lines from the output of
      >> ":version" (until
      >> the line with "Features included (+) or not (-)") -- see
      >> ":help :redir"
      >> about how to capture that kind of output. Also, when you type
      >
      > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2 (2008 Aug 9, compiled Aug 9 2008 18:46:22)
      > MS-Windows 32-bit GUI version with OLE support
      > Compiled by Bram@KIBAALE
      > Big version with GUI.
      >
      >> :echo has('multi_byte')
      > 1
      >
      >> Also, what is your _full_ 'guifont' setting? If it ends in cANSI, I
      >> think you're in trouble -- cDEFAULT is usually better IMHO.
      >
      > "unicode encoding:
      > set enc=utf-8
      >
      > "set gui font
      > set guifont=DejaVu_Sans_Mono:h11:cDEFAULT
      >
      > set nocompatible
      > source $VIMRUNTIME/vimrc_example.vim
      >
      > I explored the problem further. There is something wrong with gvim
      > interpreting deadkeys of the Windows-Keyboard layout. I could not type
      > "n" with combined circumflex because I tried to map the combining
      > circumflex on a dead key of my windows keyboard layout. When I map the
      > combining circumflex to another key it works and it gets displayed
      > well in gvim.
      >
      > I will explore the problems of remapping the dead keys of the windows
      > keyboard layout later. So far I could not google anything about this
      > issue in gvim in Windows.
      >
      > S.

      I'm using MacVim Snapshot 43, with DejaVu Sans Mono, and the handling
      of Unicode, including the rendering of letters with combining
      diacritical marks, is surprisingly good.

      n+0x0302

      displays perfectly for me, with a circumflex placed nicely above the
      'n'. I sometimes work with orthographies for Native American
      languages, which sometimes require two combining diacritics on the
      same letter, and MacVim again does well. This is one of the (several)
      reasons that I made the painful move from emacs to vim.

      Ken

      Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.
      P.O. Box 540475
      North Salt Lake, UT