2546Re: Pan-unicode font for gvim on windows?

    Nov 13 1:32 PM
      On 13/11/08 07:11, zod wrote:
      > I'd like to use a unicode font that includes both simplified Chinese
      > and latin. The only font that I have found that does this in gvim on
      > Windows is NSimSun. And that has the ugliest latin of all time. So
      > what are the other fonts that will display both in gvim?
      > It is my understanding that gvim only uses fixed-width fonts. I have
      > tried Andale Mono and it would not display chinese chars in gvim (only
      > those damn rectangles) -- even though Andale Mono does display Chinese
      > chars in other apps like photoshop. No idea why that didn't work.
      > Anyway, right now whenever I want to mix Chinese and latin, I have to
      > switch the font like so:
      > "Change fonts for chinese
      > map<F12>c :set guifont=NSimSun<CR>
      > map!<F12>c<C-O>:set guifont=NSimSun<CR>
      > So can someone give me a list of other fonts that display both chinese
      > and latin in gvim other than NSimSun? Or is there another way to go
      > about this? Can you mix fonts in the same buffer in gvim somehow?
      > Thanks

      Ifound once a font which had glyphs for all Unicode codepoints (in the
      BMP, U+0020 to U+FFFD, which admittedly is not _all_ Unicode) but it was
      ugly (I don't remember its name). I've gone back to looking for fonts
      according to what I'm displaying: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono for
      alphabetic scripts, fallback on Courier New for abjads not correctly
      displayed in Bitstream Vera, some CJK font for East-Asian scripts, etc.

      With my current GTK2 GUI (where 'guifontset' is unknown and I leave
      'guifontwide' empty), when a glyph isn't found, gvim will try to find a
      glyph for the same codepoint in another font of the same size. This
      sometimes leads to weird-looking glyphs (sans-serif glyphs used to
      complete a serif font, a single bold glyph in a line of thin ones...)
      but since it is done glyph-by-glyph, I less often have to look far and
      wide for a font containing glyphs for everything in my editfile.

      Nevertheless, when I edit my homepage
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/ where there are Latin,
      Cyrillic, Arabic, hanzi/kanji glyphs and even one hiragana all on the
      same page, I still change guifonts according to which part of the text I
      am editing at any given time.

      Best regards,
      43rd Law of Computing:
      Anything that can go wr
      fortune: Segmentation violation -- Core dumped