2540Re: Real displayed width of a character

  • Mansing
    Oct 24, 2008
      Wow!  For ages, I knew not to ask this question.  Now with
      :set ambiwidth=double
      my Chinese /open/ quotation mark ( “ code=0x201c ) is displayed correctly --without colliding with the next character.  Strange that, the /close/ quotation mark ( ” code=0x201d ) has always been displayed well regardless of the ambiwidth setting?!

      mt 081025

      Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      On 24/10/08 16:22, Jehan Pagès wrote:

      Hi all,

      I have a question about "displayed width" (and not encoding length!) of
      a character. How does vim "decide" the width of a character, in term of
      number of columns? . . .

      Jehan

      . . .

      Ambiguous-width characters are treated as fullwidth or halfwidth
      depending on the setting of the global 'ambiwidth' option.

      . . .