2537Re: devanagari vim and word

    Oct 12, 2008
      On 12/10/08 10:37, miten wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I read that vim supports unicode editing so tried to enter utf-8
      > characters using ctrl-v u followed by 4 digit hex code like
      > 093f
      > 092e
      > 0947
      > 0924
      > 0928
      >
      > all on one line. Of course the display was garbled but I assume thats
      > how it looks on console. I am on win xp with vim version as below.
      >
      > Before insert mode in command mode I have tried setting encoding and
      > fileencoding to utf8.
      >
      > After saving file I try opening in Microsoft Word it correctly prompts
      > me to pick file format but utf-8 and others dont render the text as
      > appropriate. I have Devanagari MT for IBM installed with MS Word so
      > it should let me edit using devanagari font.
      >
      > Any idea what I need to do ?
      >
      > Below is detail of my vim version.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Miten Mehta
      > miten.mehta@...
      > imiten@...

      Many Windows programs, when told that a certain file is Unicode, assume
      UTF-16 unless the file includes a BOM. So I recommend not only

      :set enc=utf-8
      :set fencs=ucs-bom,utf-8,default,latin1
      :set fenc=
      but also
      :set bomb
      or at least
      :setglobal bomb

      Also, you should set 'termencoding' to whatever 'encoding' was set to at
      Vim startup, before you changed it to UTF-8.

      There is a Massachusetts law requiring all dogs to have their hind legs
      tied during the month of April.