2452Re: how can I ogonki-fy on Wind*ws?

    Mar 12, 2008
      Joseph Schiller wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I love Vim's language support, but I am puzzled how
      > can I ogonkify on Wind*ws platform as well as I can on
      > Linux? For example, to enter extended latin-1
      > characters in edit mode I use [CTRL+SHIFT+CODE]
      > combinations as follows:
      >
      > [CTRL+SHIFT+<...>]:Ą<104>;ą<105>;Ć<106>;ć<107>;Ę<118>;ę<119>;
      > Ł<141>;ł<142>;Ń<143>;ń<144>;Ó<D3>;ó<F3>;Ś<15A>;ś<15B>;Ż<17B>;
      > ż<17C>;Ź<179>;ź<17A>
      >
      > The<number> in angle brackets corresponds to 2 or 3
      > key combinations, and there are others for other
      > languages.
      >
      > This shortcut works on gVim 7.0.35 built on SuSE 10.0
      > with GTK+ 1.8.4 with +multi_byte and does not work on
      > gVim 6.3 built on Damn Small Linux 3.5 normal version
      > with GTK GUI with -multi_byte running on WinXP inside
      > an emulator. It does not work in gVim 7.1 on
      > MS-Wind*ws 32 bit with OLE support with
      > +multi_byte_ime/dyn. Apparently the key is +multi_byte
      > option.
      >
      > Inside the typical MS enabled apps we can use ALT+CODE
      > using 4 digit combo when entered from the number
      > keypad, such as MS Word. I've searched in the Vim
      > documentation and tried google, but could not find any
      > answers.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Joe

      Note: the present reply is in UTF-8

      On Windows, +multi_byte is usually part of +multi_byte_ime/dyn. You can
      check it by

      :echo has("multi_byte")

      (similarly for any other feature): the answer will be nonzero if and
      only if the feature is present.

      In Vim (and especially in gvim, which isn't bound by what your text
      console can show), you can enter a character by its decimal or hex
      value, but there is even better: digraphs. You use them by hitting
      Ctrl-K in Insert mode, followed by two keys which define the "special
      character" you want to enter. Since the ogonek corresponds (in Vim
      digraphs) to a semicolon, you use
      ^KA; for Ą
      ^Ka; for ą
      ^KE; for Ę
      ^Ke; for ę
      etc.
      Similarly, the acute accent is represented by an apostrophe, so you type
      ^KC' for Ć
      ^Kc' for ć
      ^KO' for Ó
      ^Ko' for ó
      etc.
      and, for other diacritics:
      ^KL/ for Ł
      ^Kl/ for ł
      etc.

      These are so practical that whenever I want to use in an email (or in a
      type-in field on a web page) a character which isn't on my keyboard (or
      maybe it is, but I don't know where) I enter it in gvim and transfer it
      over the clipboard. I used this method for the Polish letters above, in
      particular. (On this Linux system, my Belgian keyboard can make many
      "special" letters by means of at least five "dead keys", but if it can
      make ogonki and barred L's I don't know how.)

      See
      :help i_CTRL-V_digit
      :help digraph.txt
      :help digraphs-default
      :digraphs

      Welcome thy neighbor into thy fallout shelter. He'll come in handy if
      you run out of food.
      -- Dean McLaughlin.