2425Re: Keymap problem, toggle back to default keymap doesn't work for /search

  • Kenneth Reid Beesley
    Dec 12, 2007
      Tony,

      Yes, when I do

      :set keymap=myownkeymap

      the name of the new keymap is displayed in the statusline. And this
      custom keymap works
      exactly as expected while its name is displayed, mapping my keystrokes
      into
      strange Deseret Alphabet characters whose glyphs appear perfectly on the
      screen. (Nice.) When I then invoke Ctrl-^, the name
      of the custom keymap disappears (leaving me back with the default
      keymap) and
      when I insert text, the usual Roman letters appear. Just as expected.

      I naturally expected that the current keymap, when I escaped to Normal
      mode,
      would be the current keymap when typing a /search string. It wasn't.

      But when I looked into 'iminsert', as you suggested, I see that there
      is also
      'imsearch', which "Specifies whether :lmap or an IM is to be used when
      entering a search pattern". The legal values of imsearch are

      -1 : the value of iminsert is used
      0: :lmap is off and IM is off
      1: :lmap is ON and IM is off
      2: :lmap is off and IM is ON

      I'm not exactly sure what "lmap" and "IM" mean in this context, I
      suspect that for the
      behavior that I expected one should simply set imsearch to -1. Maybe

      :set imsearch=-1

      <hack>...</hack>

      I tried it, and now when I escape to Normal mode, the current INSERT
      keymap is
      also used in Normal mode /searches (unless you explicitly do a Ctrl-^
      to change
      it). THAT's the behavior that I expected.

      Thanks,

      Ken