2392Re: cjk char width is a little wider

    Oct 16, 2007
      Kornelis wrote:
      > On Oct 15, 8:41 pm, Kenneth Beesley <krbees...@...> wrote:
      >> When you set both guifont and guifontwide,
      >> when does vim use one, and when the other?
      >>
      >> Ken
      >>

      > It uses the guifont for the characters that are not wide and the
      > guifontwide
      > for those that are. Actually quite convinient, since you can select
      > your best
      > latin font and best Asian font at the same time. But you can also
      > choose
      > the same font for both (but not always - depends on the font).
      >
      > If you set only guifont on Linux Pango/Xft will choose a wide font to
      > match,
      > but for reasons unknown to me some combinations mess up the character
      > spacing of the Asian font in gvim upto now. Therefore explicitly
      > setting
      > guifontwide as well works better for me.
      >
      > Best results are to be expected with a monospaced font for the latin
      > font.
      >
      > Kornelis

      The wide glyphs should be exactly twice the width of, and the same height as,
      the narrow glyphs, regardless of whether or not you use the 'guifontwide' option.

      Not setting 'guifontwide' (and selecting some East-Asian 'guifont' when
      editing a file containing CJK text) works best for me on gvim with GTK2 GUI.
      That way, proper size relations between wide and narrow glyphs are ensured by
      the construction of the font itself.

      58. You turn on your computer and turn off your wife.