2388Re: Vim on OS X, (no)macatsui problem

  • Kenneth Beesley
    Oct 15, 2007
      Hi Bjôrn,

      Many thanks for the message.

      Yeah, the term Character is a technical term in Unicode, and each
      Unicode character has a code point value that ranges from 0x0 to
      0x10FFFF.

      In the original vision of Unicode, code point values ranged from 0x0
      to 0xFFFF, allowing just 64k distinct characters. This old limited
      range
      is now known as the Basic Multilingual Plane (BMP). The current
      vision of Unicode, now 10 years old, allows about a million characters,
      and the characters with code point values beyond 0xFFFF are known
      as supplementary characters.

      Many software applications still haven't caught up with supplementary
      characters. They're still stuck in the BMP.

      In Java, there is a type called "char" that has 16 bits and so can
      represent any code point value in the BMP, 0x0 to 0xFFFF. It is
      important
      not to confuse "char" with the Unicode notion of Character. In Java,
      to store a supplementary Unicode character, two "chars" are used, in a
      coding system known as UTF-16. It sounds like MacVim has a similar
      storage system, and that the length-in-chars is being confused with
      the length-in-Unicode-characters.

      Best wishes,

      Ken