2361Re: Vim on OS X, (no)macatsui problem

  • Nico Weber
    Oct 5, 2007
      Hi Ken,

      > Vim on OS X, (no)macatsui problem
      >
      > Background: running gvum 7.1.135 on OS X version 10.4.10
      >
      > Using font DejaVuAgainSansMono.jjt, which is DejaVuSansMono.jjt
      > expanded with Deseret Alphabet (supplementary area) glyphs.
      >
      > In .gvimrc, if I specify
      >
      > set nomacatsui anti guifont=DejaVuAgain\ Sans\ Mono:h14
      >
      > then gvim renders Roman glyphs, from the Basic Multilingual Plane,
      > well,
      > but the Deseret glyphs (from the supplementary area) are rendered as
      > sequences of Roman glyphs and spaces. Completely garbled
      >

      > If I change .gvimrc to
      >
      > set macatsui anti guifont=DejaVuAgain\ Sans\ Mono:h14
      >
      > (i.e. if I specify macatsui rather than nomacatsui, and this is the
      > only change)
      > then I see Roman and Deseret glyphs rendered as expected, but all the
      > glyphs
      > look scraggly on the screen.
      >
      > Can anyone explain to me what is happening here and how I might get
      > sharp renderings of both BMP and supplementary glyphs?

      I don't expect this to work at all without 'macatsui'. My experience
      is that vim assigns not enough horizontal space to supparea glyphs
      (is that what "scraggly" means). This is because vim needs a
      monospaced font for correct display, and the supparea glyphs are too
      wide for the monospaced width of the current font (this can happen
      because the font is not monospaced for all glyphs or because some
      glyphs are subsitituted from other fonts, because they are missing in
      the current font). This also does happen for some BMP glyphs (U+0E5B
      ๛ for example, and many others).

      One way that _might_ work is to get MacVim ( http://code.google.com/p/
      macvim/ ), set its MMCellWidthMultiplier user default to something a
      bit larger than 1 (do `defaults write org.vim.MacVim
      MMCellWidthMultiplier 1.3`, see http://code.google.com/p/macvim/wiki/
      UserDefaults for more information) and use that. This widens up all
      glyphs, but perhaps it's good enough.

      I don't know if it's possible at all to have a monospaced font that
      works for all writing systems. The Right Thing is probably to make
      vim work with variable width fonts, but I guess that's very very
      complicated and won't happen :-\

      Nico