2306Re: Solution for the problem of gvimext in UTF-8 locale

  • MURAOKA Taro
    Jul 30, 2007
      Hi Bram.

      I see 3 items to think in your reply:
      1. Should vim continue to use iconv.dll?
      2. Is the newer libintl.dll portable?
      3. Can we modify gettext to use Windows native converter?
      I'll answer one by one.

      = 1. Should vim continue to use iconv.dll? =

      YES. Count of encodings which Windows support is different depends on
      edition or installed other modules. Ex:Vista has large number of
      encodings support, but 2000 has fewer. So it may become hard to
      warrant
      and provide enough number of encodings to real users who need encoding
      conversion.

      = 2. Is the newer libintl.dll portable? =

      YES. I have tried to compile a newer gettext (0.14.2) by MSVC 7.1.
      And it have succeeded.

      = 3. Can we modify gettext to use Windows native converter? =

      YES. It will be a work to implement another iconv implementation by
      using Windows native encoding converter. And vim will become a
      important example at the moment, to creating a patch.
      BUT, I think it is not easy to be applied the patch by the gettext
      maintainer. If it isn't applied, we must maintain and release
      branched gettext codes.
      --
      MURAOKA Taro <KoRoN.KaoriYa@...>