2305Re: Solution for the problem of gvimext in UTF-8 locale

    Jul 30, 2007
      Taro Muraoka wrote:

      > Vim loads libintl.dll dynamically, so we can try multiple
      > implementations of libintl.dll easily.
      >
      > In attached patch, it try to load libintl2.dll (which requres
      > libiconv.dll too) first, when it was failed, try to load libintl.dll
      > (not require libiconv.dll). After applied this patch, we would
      > distribute libintl2.dll and libiconv.dll separately from vim as an
      > "option".

      The libiconv.dll is big. I noticed one that is almost 1 Mbyte. While
      Win32 has native support for encoding conversions, thus mostly there is
      no reason to use libiconv.dll. Conversions not natively supported are
      likely to have problems anyway.

      The libintl.dll that's included with the big self-installing Vim is a
      bit old. I hesitate to replace it, because it should work with all
      different compilers.

      Is the problem that the ports of GNU gettext to Win32 have not been
      modified to use the Win32 API?

      56. You leave the modem speaker on after connecting because you think it
      sounds like the ocean wind...the perfect soundtrack for "surfing the net".