2304Re: Solution for the problem of gvimext in UTF-8 locale

  • Rainux
    Jul 30, 2007
      I have received this message before you resend it :p
      But seems my reply to it haven't delivered.

      I think Vim always need libiconv (iconv.dll or libiconv.dll) when
      compiled with ICONV=yes, and I just remember Vim 6.3 can not handle
      ucs-2le files correctly without libiconv in some environment, but
      seems now both 6.3 and 7.1 can works correctly without libiconv on my
      Windows XP Professional (Simplified Chinese version), I just be

      > [this message was stuck in my outbox for a few weeks, sorry]
      > Rainux wrote:
      > > When using gvimext in UTF-8 locale, e.g. zh_CN.UTF-8, it can not
      > > display the context menu item correctly, simply because the
      > > libintl.dll in official dist is built with MS VC, so it can not
      > > automatically convert the output message to the current code page of
      > > Windows.
      > >
      > > To solve this problem, just replace the linbintl.dll by the one on
      > > GnuWin32 page (http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/libintl.htm).
      > >
      > > Hope this can be done officially, thanks. :p
      > I'm very careful with replacing things like this. The page you refer to
      > mentions requiring libiconv too. I would prefer a solution that uses
      > the native Win32 conversion, so that you don't need yet another .dll.
      > I think libiconv.dll is quite big.
      > --
      > Back up my hard drive? I can't find the reverse switch!
      > \\\ download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org ///

      Best Regards