2006Re: gvim crash when using UTF-8 locale and paste text from Windows clipboard

    Jul 22, 2005
      Rainux wrote (about a month ago):

      > Thanks for your help.
      >
      > I've read more help text, and done more test, I found:
      > 1. "termencoding" is never used in Win32 GUI version.
      > 2. "fileencoding" is the encoding for file, do not have relative to this case.
      > 3. When set $LANG to a UTF-8 locale, e.g. "zh-CN.UTF-8", set the
      > "encoding" to anything or let empty, then gvim will crash while paste
      > LITTLE LONG text form Windows clipboard.
      > 4. When not set $LANG, $LANG actually be "zh_CN" (the default locale I
      > use), set the "encoding" to "utf-8" or "cp936" (the code page I use),
      > gvim works fine. But, if "encoding" is "utf-8", the messages gvim
      > displayed is not correctly, because the message text gvim selected is
      > encoded in "cp936" (because the $LANG is "zh_CN", not "zh_CN.UTF-8".).
      >
      > I need set "encoding" to "utf-8", because this will let vim detect the
      > file encoding and convert it correctly. When use "cp936", the file
      > encoded in "cp950"(big5) and "ucs-2le" will not be detected and
      > converted.

      On my system I can't use the zh_CN locale, thus I can't even try to
      reproduce this problem.

      Could you at least specify the output of ":version", so that we can see
      what Vim version you are using?

      You might want to try a recent Vim, like what Tony Mechelynck makes
      available, see http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/.

      --
      A hamburger walks into a bar, and the bartender says: "I'm sorry,
      but we don't serve food here."