1009Re: Filename encodings under Win32

    Oct 13, 2003
      Camillo Särs <ged@...> wrote:
      > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      [...]
      > > Why would 'termencoding' be "utf-8"? This won't work, unless you
      > > are
      > > using an xterm on MS-Windows.
      >
      > Yeah, but that's what you get if you just blindly do "set
      > encoding=utf-8". Took me a while to figure that one out. I need to
      > do "set termencoding=cp1252" first, or the "let &termencoding =
      > &encoding". Not exactly transparent to non-experts.

      Took me some figuring too. A few hours ago I uploaded my solution to
      vim-onlline (set_utf8.vim,
      http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=789 ). I hope it
      will make it transparent to non-experts. Yet I still believe that defaulting
      'termencoding' to the locale's charset would be better than leaving it
      empty -- and such a change wouldn't break the above-mentioned script, you're
      welcome to look at its source.

      > > The default 'termencoding' is empty, which means 'encoding' is used.
      > > There is no better default.
      >
      > On Windows, I'd say "detect active code page" is the right choice.
      >
      > > When you change 'encoding' you might have to change 'termencoding'
      > > as
      > > well, but this depends on your situation.
      >
      > As noted above, that's the unintuitive behavior I was getting at. A
      > windows user, knowing that unicode is the native charset, does a "set
      > encoding=utf-8" and expects things to work. They don't, but
      > depending on
      > the language, it may take a while before a non-ascii character is
      > entered.
      [...]

      Regards,