[vim-mac] Re: MacVim Official Website

  • Sven Guckes
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 24, 2000
      * Bob Batson <bob@...> [000224 02:07]:
      > What's the URL of the official website for "VIM for macintosh"?

      http://www.vim.org/macs.html
      and http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~i0080108/macvim.html
      and http://www3.sympatico.ca/dany.stamant/vim

      The first is *the* official one (vim.org address).
      Dany StAmant was the main contributor for some time
      and now Axel Kielhorn has done a lot recently.

      I suppose we should combine our efforts...

      Sven

      --
      Sven Guckes guckes@... | vim-mac@...: Maillist for "Vim on MacOS"
      VIMMAC Info on current development: http://www.vim.org/macs.html
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 24, 2000
        Perhaps this is a good time to ask something that
        has confused me ... are the Vim's that one can
        download from

        <http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~i0080108/macvim.html>
        <http://www3.sympatico.ca/dany.stamant/vim>

        entirely different ports of Vim to the Mac? Or different
        versions of the same port? Or what, exactly? They both
        have the same creator code, so they at least are _pretending_
        to be the same application. (If they are not, what are the
        relative merits of the version 5.5.38 available from Axel,
        versus the 5.6 available from Daniel St. Amant?)

        David

        <http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~dac/>
      • Bob Batson
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 24, 2000
          On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Sven Guckes wrote:

          > * Bob Batson <bob@...> [000224 02:07]:
          > > What's the URL of the official website for "VIM for macintosh"?

          [snip]

          Bob Batson L 39 12 14 N 94 33 16 W
          bob@... Kansas City
          TCS - Mystic Fire Priest USDA zone 5b
        • H. Eckert
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 25, 2000
            Quoting david craig (dac@...):
            > <http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~i0080108/macvim.html>
            > <http://www3.sympatico.ca/dany.stamant/vim>
            >
            > entirely different ports of Vim to the Mac? Or different
            > versions of the same port? Or what, exactly? They both

            Different versions from the same port. There is just on main
            port but several people working on it and putting snapshots of
            their corresponding current version on the net.

            Greetings,
            Ripley
            --
            H. Eckert, 10777 Berlin, Germany, http://www.in-berlin.de/User/nostromo/
            ISO 8859-1: Ä=Ae, Ö=Oe, Ü=Ue, ä=ae, ö=oe, ü=ue, ß=sz.
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 25, 2000
              Thanks for clarifying; it's appreciated. A question
              I meant to ask in my first post: Do the version numbers
              of the respective applications have anything to do
              with one another? I suppose that the presumption would
              be that the application version number refers to that
              of the port, then? (To say it another way, would versions
              5.6 of these two implementations of VIM have, in theory,
              an essential parity in VIM features, differing primarily
              in how the authors went about implementing them, and
              perhaps what goodies above and beyond VIM itself the
              authors throw in?)

              Amazing how I can be so baffled by something so simple :-)

              David

              On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, H. Eckert wrote:

              > Quoting david craig (dac@...):
              > > <http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~i0080108/macvim.html>
              > > <http://www3.sympatico.ca/dany.stamant/vim>
              > >
              > > entirely different ports of Vim to the Mac? Or different
              > > versions of the same port? Or what, exactly? They both
              >
              > Different versions from the same port. There is just on main
              > port but several people working on it and putting snapshots of
              > their corresponding current version on the net.
              >

              > Greetings,
              > Ripley
              > --
              > H. Eckert, 10777 Berlin, Germany, http://www.in-berlin.de/User/nostromo/
              > ISO 8859-1: Ä=Ae, Ö=Oe, Ü=Ue, ä=ae, ö=oe, ü=ue, ß=sz.
              > "(Technobabbel)" (Jetrel) - "Müssen wir uns diesen Schwachsinn wirklich
              > anhören?" (Neelix)

              David

              <http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~dac/>
            • Axel Kielhorn
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 26, 2000
                At 11:06 Uhr +0900 2000-02-26, david craig wrote:
                >Thanks for clarifying; it's appreciated. A question
                >I meant to ask in my first post: Do the version numbers
                >of the respective applications have anything to do
                >with one another?

                Yes.

                >I suppose that the presumption would
                >be that the application version number refers to that
                >of the port, then?

                Right

                >(To say it another way, would versions
                >5.6 of these two implementations of VIM have, in theory,
                >an essential parity in VIM features, differing primarily
                >in how the authors went about implementing them, and
                >perhaps what goodies above and beyond VIM itself the
                >authors throw in?)

                Correct.

                MacVim on my page was compiled before 5.6 was available and I left my
                compiler just after putting it on my homepage. In the meantime Dany took
                the 5.6 release, fixed some bugs and released it on his page.

                When I'm back in Germany I will download 5.6 release (+patches) and Dany's
                patches and build a new version which I will put on my homepage.

                The main differences are:
                Dany's version is FAT, I have separate binaries for 68k and PPC
                My 68k version has syntax disabled, don't know about Dany's.
                My version is compiled with CWPro2 Dany's with CW9 (IIRC).

                The rule of thump is:
                Whoever has time puts a binary on his page.

                Axel

                who would be surprised to see this on the list, becuase I'm writing from a
                different address than my subscribe address.

                --
                Adults get far more pleasure from adultery
                than children do from infancy