Re: vim + python for OSX

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2003
      Rain Dog wrote:

      > The error was mine: it didn't occur to me that Fink might install
      > both dynamic and static versions of libpython. The linker normally
      > prefers dynamic libraries when they're available.

      [snip]

      > Incidentally, libperl was also dynamically linked in your latest binary.
      > Something like the above ought to work for Perl as well, but I'll have
      > to leave that to someone more familiar with Perl than I).

      OK, I guess I had it backwards. Now that I have statically linked with
      libpython, the binary is substantially larger. This should work on other
      systems (with or without a copy of the library, or with a different version of
      python installed). The problem is linking dynamically.

      Obviously, I am out of my depth here, but doesn't the .app structure
      provide a way to produce a portable, dynamically linked binary? Isn't that what
      the Resources/ directory is for? If this is right, what are the pros and cons
      of dynamically linked libraries?

      Are there any volunteers for fixing the perl support?

      --Benji Fisher