vim + python for OSX

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2003
      Second attempt: Peter "RD" Cucka sent me an updated patch for compiling
      with python support, and I got the python library from Fink, so I have just
      updated the binary at

      http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/

      This time I remembered to update the link!

      I made a mininal test of the python support: both

      :python print 3+5

      and

      :python print range(7)

      gave the expected results. I did not un-install python and test again, so I am
      not sure that it will work on stock OS X systems, but (1) it should and (2)
      maybe someone else will test that for me.

      There are a few new official patches, but I did not apply them, so this is
      still vim6.2.011.tar.bz2 .

      TODO: Post the extra files needed for compilation on the web site.

      --Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2003
        Rain Dog wrote:

        > The error was mine: it didn't occur to me that Fink might install
        > both dynamic and static versions of libpython. The linker normally
        > prefers dynamic libraries when they're available.

        [snip]

        > Incidentally, libperl was also dynamically linked in your latest binary.
        > Something like the above ought to work for Perl as well, but I'll have
        > to leave that to someone more familiar with Perl than I).

        OK, I guess I had it backwards. Now that I have statically linked with
        libpython, the binary is substantially larger. This should work on other
        systems (with or without a copy of the library, or with a different version of
        python installed). The problem is linking dynamically.

        Obviously, I am out of my depth here, but doesn't the .app structure
        provide a way to produce a portable, dynamically linked binary? Isn't that what
        the Resources/ directory is for? If this is right, what are the pros and cons
        of dynamically linked libraries?

        Are there any volunteers for fixing the perl support?

        --Benji Fisher