vim + python for OSX

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5, 2003
      Peter "RD" Cucka sent me an updated patch for compiling with python
      support, and I got the python library from Fink, so I have just updated the
      binary at

      http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/

      I made a mininal test of the python support: both

      :python print 3+5

      and

      :python print range(7)

      gave the expected results. I did not un-install python and test again, so I am
      not sure that it will work on stock OS X systems, but (1) it should and (2)
      maybe someone else will test that for me.

      There are a few new official patches, but I did not apply them, so this is
      still vim6.2.011.tar.bz2 .

      TODO: Post the extra files needed for compilation on the web site.

      --Benji Fisher
    • Jim Tittsler
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2003
        On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 10:32:51PM -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:
        > gave the expected results. I did not un-install python and test again, so
        > I am not sure that it will work on stock OS X systems, but (1) it should
        > and (2) maybe someone else will test that for me.

        FWIW, I use the Python 2.3b Framework (which puts the framework
        build in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework) and
        the Vim.app in vim6.2.011.tar.bz2 fails to start for me.

        http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython.html
      • Rain Dog
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5, 2003
          On Thursday, June 5, 2003, at 08:07 PM, Jim Tittsler wrote:

          > FWIW, I use the Python 2.3b Framework (which puts the framework
          > build in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework) and
          > the Vim.app in vim6.2.011.tar.bz2 fails to start for me.

          It fails for me, too. "otool -L Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim"
          reveals that libpython isn't statically linked:

          Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim:
          /sw/lib/python2.2/config/libpython2.2.dylib (compatibility
          version 2.2.0, current version 2.2.2)

          Peter
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 5, 2003
            Jim Tittsler wrote:
            > On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 10:32:51PM -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:
            >
            >>gave the expected results. I did not un-install python and test again, so
            >>I am not sure that it will work on stock OS X systems, but (1) it should
            >>and (2) maybe someone else will test that for me.
            >

            > FWIW, I use the Python 2.3b Framework (which puts the framework
            > build in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework) and
            > the Vim.app in vim6.2.011.tar.bz2 fails to start for me.
            >
            > http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython.html

            Thanks for testing (not to mention working on MacPython). This looks like
            the same situation we have with Perl: anyone who has a version different from
            mine cannot use the Vim.app that I compile (statically linked with the libraries
            on my system). I will try to keep up with Apple's Software Updates, and anyone
            who has more recent versions (and wants to use them with vim) will have to
            compile on their own. If there is enough demand, I will post one version of
            Vim.app with +python +perl and another without.

            If anyone knows of a better solution, I would love to hear it.

            --Benji Fisher
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 5, 2003
              Rain Dog wrote:
              > On Thursday, June 5, 2003, at 08:07 PM, Jim Tittsler wrote:
              >
              >> FWIW, I use the Python 2.3b Framework (which puts the framework
              >> build in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework) and
              >> the Vim.app in vim6.2.011.tar.bz2 fails to start for me.
              >

              > It fails for me, too. "otool -L Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim"
              > reveals that libpython isn't statically linked:
              >
              > Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim:
              > /sw/lib/python2.2/config/libpython2.2.dylib (compatibility
              > version 2.2.0, current version 2.2.2)

              Ugh. Any idea what I did wrong?

              --Benji Fisher
            • Patrick Curtain
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 5, 2003
                Heya!

                On Thursday, June 5, 2003, at 07:32 PM, Benji Fisher wrote:

                > Peter "RD" Cucka sent me an updated patch for compiling with
                > python support, and I got the python library from Fink, so I have just
                > updated the binary at
                >
                > http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/

                I looked and wasn't sure which version to download (which link). I
                tried what seemed the most likely, vim6.2f.beta.tar.bz2 but checking
                the :version listing, it showed '-python'.

                Is there another link I should be picking?

                The other clue was the filename: vim6.2.011.tar.bz2, but that wasn't
                one of the links.

                Thanks for working on it, Benji!

                Blessings!
                --p
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 6, 2003
                  Second attempt: Peter "RD" Cucka sent me an updated patch for compiling
                  with python support, and I got the python library from Fink, so I have just
                  updated the binary at

                  http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/

                  This time I remembered to update the link!

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 6, 2003
                    Rain Dog wrote:

                    > The error was mine: it didn't occur to me that Fink might install
                    > both dynamic and static versions of libpython. The linker normally
                    > prefers dynamic libraries when they're available.

                    [snip]

                    > Incidentally, libperl was also dynamically linked in your latest binary.
                    > Something like the above ought to work for Perl as well, but I'll have
                    > to leave that to someone more familiar with Perl than I).

                    OK, I guess I had it backwards. Now that I have statically linked with
                    libpython, the binary is substantially larger. This should work on other
                    systems (with or without a copy of the library, or with a different version of
                    python installed). The problem is linking dynamically.

                    Obviously, I am out of my depth here, but doesn't the .app structure
                    provide a way to produce a portable, dynamically linked binary? Isn't that what
                    the Resources/ directory is for? If this is right, what are the pros and cons
                    of dynamically linked libraries?

                    Are there any volunteers for fixing the perl support?

                    --Benji Fisher