Drawing speed

  • Nico Weber
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4, 2009

      I started profiling MacVim's drawing/regex code. I made the
      interesting discovery that 'cursorline' can have a large impact on
      drawing time. So if MacVim's draws very slowly for you, `:set
      nocursorline` might make it faster for you for now. That's probably a
      better workaround than a full `:syntax off`.

      Hope this helps someone,
      Nico

    • ntiozymandias
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 16, 2009
        Another neat way to make The Scottish Editor completely unusable (at
        least on my system) is to split the window vertically. I deal with
        this by using two separate windows side by side when I need to, but it
        would be nice if this became more manageable in full screen mode.

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 16, 2009
          2009/2/17 ntiozymandias:

          > Another neat way to make The Scottish Editor completely unusable (at
          > least on my system) is to split the window vertically. I deal with
          > this by using two separate windows side by side when I need to, but it
          > would be nice if this became more manageable in full screen mode.

          Are you using a snapshot or the stable version?

          The stable version does have problems with vertical splits but this
          was supposedly fixed in a later version. If you are using the latest
          snapshot, then some more info would be welcome: what type of file are
          you editing, how many rows/columns are on screen, have you tried
          moving .[g]vimrc out of the way, etc.?

        • Matt Tolton
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 23 11:29 AM
            Is there any way to make the cursorline drawing faster? This causes
            issues for me. :(

            On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 10:50 PM, Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I started profiling MacVim's drawing/regex code. I made the
            > interesting discovery that 'cursorline' can have a large impact on
            > drawing time. So if MacVim's draws very slowly for you, `:set
            > nocursorline` might make it faster for you for now. That's probably a
            > better workaround than a full `:syntax off`.
            >
            > Hope this helps someone,
            > Nico

          • Niklas Lindström
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 23 12:46 PM

              While I don't know if this speeds up rendering at all, I've found that
              having this in my .[g]vimrc::

              " Only use cursor line in active window
              set cursorline
              autocmd WinEnter * set cursorline
              autocmd WinLeave * set nocursorline

              has generally felt more usable than always having cursorline turned on
              (since I mainly use it as an explicit visual cue of "where I am").
              FWIW.

              Best regards,
              Niklas

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 23 1:50 PM
                2009/3/23 Matt Tolton:

                > Is there any way to make the cursorline drawing faster?  This causes
                > issues for me.  :(

                I have been aware of this issue for some time now but I have not
                managed to come up with a solution. The syntax highlighter simply
                uses a regexp to match the entire line and then highlight it that way
                (if I remember correctly). I was thinking it might be possible to
                instead mark the line and let the GUI handle marking the line in
                whatever way it pleases (that way we could have a prettier cursor line
                for example and we could optimize the drawing) but I decided this
                would be too much work.

                Maybe somebody (other than me) could look into this issue further (and
                come up with a better solution)?

              • Matt Tolton
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 23 5:05 PM
                  2009/3/23 Niklas Lindström <lindstream@...>:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > While I don't know if this speeds up rendering at all, I've found that
                  > having this in my .[g]vimrc::
                  >
                  >    " Only use cursor line in active window
                  >    set cursorline
                  >    autocmd WinEnter * set cursorline
                  >    autocmd WinLeave * set nocursorline

                  That's actually what I do. I guess my monitor is larger than normal
                  so the slowdown is more apparent.

                  > has generally felt more usable than always having cursorline turned on
                  > (since I mainly use it as an explicit visual cue of "where I am").
                  > FWIW.
                  >
                  > Best regards,
                  > Niklas
                  >

                  > On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Matt Tolton <matt@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Is there any way to make the cursorline drawing faster?  This causes
                  >> issues for me.  :(
                  >>
                  >> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 10:50 PM, Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:
                  >>>
                  >>> Hi,
                  >>>
                  >>> I started profiling MacVim's drawing/regex code. I made the
                  >>> interesting discovery that 'cursorline' can have a large impact on
                  >>> drawing time. So if MacVim's draws very slowly for you, `:set
                  >>> nocursorline` might make it faster for you for now. That's probably a
                  >>> better workaround than a full `:syntax off`.
                  >>>
                  >>> Hope this helps someone,
                  >>> Nico

                • Nico Weber
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 23 8:33 PM
                    > Maybe somebody (other than me) could look into this issue further (and
                    > come up with a better solution)?

                    We should apply for Summer of Code next year (hopefully not for this
                    issue ;-) ).

                    Nico

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 30 2:17 PM
                      2009/3/23 Matt Tolton:

                      > Is there any way to make the cursorline drawing faster?  This causes
                      > issues for me.  :(

                      Have you tried the Core Text enabled binary I posted a link to in
                      another post? I'd be interested to know if you experience any
                      improvement. I doubt it will make a massive difference since the
                      bottleneck in this case is the Vim regexp code but it would still be
                      interesting to know what you think.

                    • Matt Tolton
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 30 2:51 PM
                        I haven't tried it yet. I'll try to do it sometime in the next day or two.