Re: why does vim change the file type?

  • Dany St-Amant
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
      Le mercredi, 4 jun 2003, à 12:38 Canada/Eastern, Eugene Lee a écrit :

      > On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 11:20:35AM -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:
      > :
      > : Bodhi wrote:
      > : >
      > : >This has nothing to do with "carbonization", rather it has a bit to
      > do
      > : >with resource forks.
      > : >
      > : >Unless I have missed something fairly obvious, the command line
      > version
      > : >of Vim doesn't write resource forks.
      >
      > Correct. However, regarding the subject, the Mac file type information
      > is stored in the file TYPE field of the HFS+ structure, and not in the
      > resource fork.

      This problem should not be seen on the MACOS_CLASSIC version (even
      the carbonized one). I created a generic function
      mch_copy_file_attribute()
      [which is now also used by the Windows version] to copy the resource
      fork
      and finder attribute from the original file. In don't remember why I
      remove
      the called from the MACOS_X version, but I'll take a look at it on the
      weekend.
      As for the plain UNIX version or X (as in Motif, Athena, ...), I don't
      know if there's
      some HFS function within Darwin which can be used.

      > : Perhaps the second item from the FAQ at
      > :
      > : http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#FAQ
      > :
      > : will help here. (I think the same advice applies for any version of
      > : vim and Mac OS.)
      >
      > Sounds like a winner to me. :-)

      Dany