Re: why does vim change the file type?

  • Eugene Lee
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
      On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 11:20:35AM -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:
      :
      : Bodhi wrote:
      : >
      : >This has nothing to do with "carbonization", rather it has a bit to do
      : >with resource forks.
      : >
      : >Unless I have missed something fairly obvious, the command line version
      : >of Vim doesn't write resource forks.

      Correct. However, regarding the subject, the Mac file type information
      is stored in the file TYPE field of the HFS+ structure, and not in the
      resource fork.

      : Perhaps the second item from the FAQ at
      :
      : http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#FAQ
      :
      : will help here. (I think the same advice applies for any version of
      : vim and Mac OS.)

      Sounds like a winner to me. :-)

      --
      Eugene Lee
    • Dany St-Amant
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
        Le mercredi, 4 jun 2003, à 12:38 Canada/Eastern, Eugene Lee a écrit :

        > On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 11:20:35AM -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:
        > :
        > : Bodhi wrote:
        > : >
        > : >This has nothing to do with "carbonization", rather it has a bit to
        > do
        > : >with resource forks.
        > : >
        > : >Unless I have missed something fairly obvious, the command line
        > version
        > : >of Vim doesn't write resource forks.
        >
        > Correct. However, regarding the subject, the Mac file type information
        > is stored in the file TYPE field of the HFS+ structure, and not in the
        > resource fork.

        This problem should not be seen on the MACOS_CLASSIC version (even
        the carbonized one). I created a generic function
        mch_copy_file_attribute()
        [which is now also used by the Windows version] to copy the resource
        fork
        and finder attribute from the original file. In don't remember why I
        remove
        the called from the MACOS_X version, but I'll take a look at it on the
        weekend.
        As for the plain UNIX version or X (as in Motif, Athena, ...), I don't
        know if there's
        some HFS function within Darwin which can be used.

        > : Perhaps the second item from the FAQ at
        > :
        > : http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#FAQ
        > :
        > : will help here. (I think the same advice applies for any version of
        > : vim and Mac OS.)
        >
        > Sounds like a winner to me. :-)

        Dany