Re: Untitled window on re-activation

  • Michael Wookey
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 2, 2009
      >> Is it just me or MacVim doesn't open an untitled window on re-
      >> activation anymore? (even though the option to do so is activated in
      >> the preferences). I noticed this a couple of builds ago, not quite
      >> sure when it started. On launch the untitled window opens normally.
      >>
      >> I'm using snapshot 42, with Tiger (10.4.11).
      >
      > I don't see the problem myself, but I'll keep an eye on it. Has
      > anybody else come across this problem?

      Yes, I see the same behaviour on one machine but it works fine on
      another. Where it works, I built MacVim myself. Where it doesn't,
      I'm using the official pre-built snapshot 42. I'm not suggesting a
      correlation, just an observation. Both machines are Intel with
      10.5.6.

      [... trying a build ...]

      I just built MacVim on the machine where it doesn't work and the "new
      window on activation" still doesn't work. This suggests some other
      setting must be causing the failure.

      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 4, 2009
        2009/2/3 Michael Wookey:

        > Yes, I see the same behaviour on one machine but it works fine on
        > another. Where it works, I built MacVim myself. Where it doesn't,
        > I'm using the official pre-built snapshot 42. I'm not suggesting a
        > correlation, just an observation. Both machines are Intel with
        > 10.5.6.
        >
        > [... trying a build ...]
        >
        > I just built MacVim on the machine where it doesn't work and the "new
        > window on activation" still doesn't work. This suggests some other
        > setting must be causing the failure.

        Michael, thanks for confirming the problem.

        Are you using identical .[g]vimrc files on both machines? Does the
        problem persist if these (and the .vim folder) are moved out of the
        way? Is the problem intermittent or does it fail to open a new window
        _every_ time MacVim is reactivated? (Tiago: can you answer these
        questions as well please.)

      • Tiago Taveira
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 4, 2009
          On Feb 4, 2:29 pm, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
          > Are you using identical .[g]vimrc files on both machines?  Does the
          > problem persist if these (and the .vim folder) are moved out of the
          > way?  Is the problem intermittent or does it fail to open a new window
          > _every_ time MacVim is reactivated?  (Tiago: can you answer these
          > questions as well please.)

          The problem still persists after moving .vimrc/.gvimrc/.vim, and it
          always fails to open a new window.
          If there's something else I could try to track it down, feel free to
          ask :)

          Tiago
        • Michael Wookey
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 5, 2009
            >> Yes, I see the same behaviour on one machine but it works fine on
            >> another. Where it works, I built MacVim myself. Where it doesn't,
            >> I'm using the official pre-built snapshot 42. I'm not suggesting a
            >> correlation, just an observation. Both machines are Intel with
            >> 10.5.6.
            >>
            >> [... trying a build ...]
            >>
            >> I just built MacVim on the machine where it doesn't work and the "new
            >> window on activation" still doesn't work. This suggests some other
            >> setting must be causing the failure.
            >
            > Michael, thanks for confirming the problem.
            >
            > Are you using identical .[g]vimrc files on both machines? Does the
            > problem persist if these (and the .vim folder) are moved out of the
            > way? Is the problem intermittent or does it fail to open a new window
            > _every_ time MacVim is reactivated? (Tiago: can you answer these
            > questions as well please.)

            Yes, my configuration is identical across all machines that I use. I
            use git to hold my configuration/dotfiles and the repo is hosted on
            Amazon S3; so all my machines are easily synchronised.

            Unfortunately, the problem still occurs (each and every time) even
            when ~/.[g]vimrc and ~/.vim are removed. Something else appears
            responsible for this problem.

            Personally, this bug doesn't bother me so much. I tend to keep a
            single vim window up all the time... and it never closes.

          • Tobia Conforto
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 11, 2009
              I noticed this bug as well. It's not an essential feaure to me, so I
              didn't think of reporting it and just started hitting Cmd-N to open
              the first window after reactivation, just as I would do to open the
              second and third windows in any case.

              björn wrote:
              > Does the problem persist if .[g]vimrc files (and the .vim folder)
              > are moved out of the way?

              Yes.

              > Is the problem intermittent or does it fail to open a new window
              > _every_ time MacVim is reactivated?

              Every time.

              In fact, the behaviour is so consistent that I was able to do a quick
              test on past snapshots (freshly dowloaded) and repeat the test a few
              times. I'm positive the bug was introduced in snapshot 41 (meaning
              that 40 works, 41 and 42 don't.)

              This is an Intel 10.5.6 with loads of input managers, plugins,
              logitech control panels and other random hacks installed ;-P I'll
              disable the ones I can find and let you know if it makes any difference.

              If there's any patch you'd like me to test, feel free to send it my way.

              -Tobia
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 11, 2009
                2009/2/11 Tobia Conforto:

                > I noticed this bug as well. It's not an essential feaure to me, so I
                > didn't think of reporting it and just started hitting Cmd-N to open
                > the first window after reactivation, just as I would do to open the
                > second and third windows in any case.
                >
                > björn wrote:
                >> Does the problem persist if .[g]vimrc files (and the .vim folder)
                >> are moved out of the way?
                >
                > Yes.
                >
                >> Is the problem intermittent or does it fail to open a new window
                >> _every_ time MacVim is reactivated?
                >
                > Every time.
                >
                > In fact, the behaviour is so consistent that I was able to do a quick
                > test on past snapshots (freshly dowloaded) and repeat the test a few
                > times. I'm positive the bug was introduced in snapshot 41 (meaning
                > that 40 works, 41 and 42 don't.)

                If it is that consistent then it would be great if somebody could do a
                bisection with Git to find the exact commit where it happened. I had
                a look at the commits between 40 and 41 but I can't "guess" which one
                might be the offending commit. Does anybody with this problem know
                how to do this and have time? (I still can't reproduce reliably but
                it has happened once or twice.)

                Thanks,

              • Keith Hubbard
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 11, 2009
                  björn wrote:
                  > If it is that consistent then it would be great if somebody could do a
                  > bisection with Git to find the exact commit where it happened. I had
                  > a look at the commits between 40 and 41 but I can't "guess" which one
                  > might be the offending commit. Does anybody with this problem know
                  > how to do this and have time? (I still can't reproduce reliably but
                  > it has happened once or twice.)

                  It looks like this is the culprit:

                  662aa32b399c1149daa1cd3a2b5bccc8e75f589a is first bad commit
                  commit 662aa32b399c1149daa1cd3a2b5bccc8e75f589a
                  Author: Bjorn Winckler <bjorn.winckler@...>
                  Date: Wed Jan 7 20:19:44 2009 +0100

                  Prune unnecessary code, clarify comment

                  :040000 040000 0e451b9611fb96374a76c4319e86aa0d56fdc19e
                  d36cd9b7ad35c238218df462a9233614e4a0d480 M src

                  662aa32b399c1149daa1cd3a2b5bccc8e75f589a

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 11, 2009
                    2009/2/11 Keith Hubbard:

                    > björn wrote:
                    >> If it is that consistent then it would be great if somebody could do a
                    >> bisection with Git to find the exact commit where it happened. I had
                    >> a look at the commits between 40 and 41 but I can't "guess" which one
                    >> might be the offending commit. Does anybody with this problem know
                    >> how to do this and have time? (I still can't reproduce reliably but
                    >> it has happened once or twice.)
                    >>

                    > It looks like this is the culprit:
                    >
                    > 662aa32b399c1149daa1cd3a2b5bccc8e75f589a is first bad commit
                    > commit 662aa32b399c1149daa1cd3a2b5bccc8e75f589a
                    > Author: Bjorn Winckler <bjorn.winckler@...>
                    > Date: Wed Jan 7 20:19:44 2009 +0100
                    >
                    > Prune unnecessary code, clarify comment

                    Thanks Keith, that gives me somewhere to start looking. I don't see
                    that this commit is directly to blame...there seems to be some other
                    problem related to detection of "untitled windows" and launching
                    processes so I'll have to dig deeper. It is weird too...right now I
                    have one instance of MacVim open where reactivation fails every time,
                    but when I build a new version and run it from Xcode then I cannot for
                    the life of me reproduce the bug. Hmmm...I should be able to figure
                    it out now though.

                    Thanks,

                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 11, 2009
                      2009/2/12 björn:
                      > It is weird too...right now I
                      > have one instance of MacVim open where reactivation fails every time,
                      > but when I build a new version and run it from Xcode then I cannot for
                      > the life of me reproduce the bug. Hmmm...I should be able to figure
                      > it out now though.

                      Aaah. If MacVim is started from the command line then the bug appears
                      (i.e. Cmd-q if MacVim is open, then type 'mvim' in Terminal), if it is
                      started from Finder it does not. This is why I could never see the
                      bug when I was trying to debug in Xcode! Can somebody confirm this?

                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 11, 2009
                        2009/2/12 björn:
                        > 2009/2/12 björn:
                        >> It is weird too...right now I
                        >> have one instance of MacVim open where reactivation fails every time,
                        >> but when I build a new version and run it from Xcode then I cannot for
                        >> the life of me reproduce the bug. Hmmm...I should be able to figure
                        >> it out now though.
                        >
                        > Aaah. If MacVim is started from the command line then the bug appears
                        > (i.e. Cmd-q if MacVim is open, then type 'mvim' in Terminal), if it is
                        > started from Finder it does not. This is why I could never see the
                        > bug when I was trying to debug in Xcode! Can somebody confirm this?

                        The attached patch fixes the problem I've noticed on my machine. I'd
                        appreciate if I could get some confirmation that it works since I'm
                        not sure if there is more than one bug.

                        Thanks!

                      • Keith Hubbard
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 11, 2009
                          björn wrote:
                          > The attached patch fixes the problem I've noticed on my machine. I'd
                          > appreciate if I could get some confirmation that it works since I'm
                          > not sure if there is more than one bug.

                          I think there are multiple bugs -- your patch did not fix the problem on
                          my machine.

                          I did more experimenting, and I only see the problem when Quickstart is
                          enabled. I've been testing by launching MacVim.app using open ("open
                          build/Release/MacVim.app"). I'm also pretty confident that commit
                          662aa32 introduced the problem.

                          Keith

                        • Tobia Conforto
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 12, 2009
                            Keith Hubbard wrote:
                            > I did more experimenting, and I only see the problem when Quickstart
                            > is
                            > enabled.

                            I can confirm this.
                            Also, I see the problem independent of the way I start MacVim.

                            I'll try to do some Git testing later, if I have time.

                            Tobia

                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 12, 2009
                              2009/2/12 Keith Hubbard:

                              > björn wrote:
                              >> The attached patch fixes the problem I've noticed on my machine. I'd
                              >> appreciate if I could get some confirmation that it works since I'm
                              >> not sure if there is more than one bug.
                              >>
                              > I think there are multiple bugs -- your patch did not fix the problem on
                              > my machine.
                              >
                              > I did more experimenting, and I only see the problem when Quickstart is
                              > enabled. I've been testing by launching MacVim.app using open ("open
                              > build/Release/MacVim.app"). I'm also pretty confident that commit
                              > 662aa32 introduced the problem.

                              Ok, I can also reproduce this reliably now. The key is indeed to turn
                              on Quickstart -- as soon as this is done the reactivation doesn't
                              work, even if Quickstart is disabled again. If I restart without
                              Quickstart reactivation works.

                              So there are (at least) two bugs. It should be simple to fix this now
                              that I can reproduce it...I'll post again as soon as I have a patch
                              ready.

                              /Björn

                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 13, 2009
                                2009/2/12 björn:
                                > 2009/2/12 Keith Hubbard:
                                >>
                                >> björn wrote:
                                >>> The attached patch fixes the problem I've noticed on my machine. I'd
                                >>> appreciate if I could get some confirmation that it works since I'm
                                >>> not sure if there is more than one bug.
                                >>>
                                >> I think there are multiple bugs -- your patch did not fix the problem on
                                >> my machine.
                                >>
                                >> I did more experimenting, and I only see the problem when Quickstart is
                                >> enabled. I've been testing by launching MacVim.app using open ("open
                                >> build/Release/MacVim.app"). I'm also pretty confident that commit
                                >> 662aa32 introduced the problem.
                                >
                                > Ok, I can also reproduce this reliably now. The key is indeed to turn
                                > on Quickstart -- as soon as this is done the reactivation doesn't
                                > work, even if Quickstart is disabled again. If I restart without
                                > Quickstart reactivation works.
                                >
                                > So there are (at least) two bugs. It should be simple to fix this now
                                > that I can reproduce it...I'll post again as soon as I have a patch
                                > ready.

                                Well, I ended up reverting the commit Keith pointed at. In itself
                                that commit seemed fine but there are some nasty side-effects when
                                quickstart is enabled. At first I thought it would be best to rewrite
                                the affected code to clarify what's going on but decided that it is
                                easier to just revert that commit and comment the behaviour better.
                                I'm not very satisfied with this situation, but I might refactor later
                                if I get the time.

                                Thanks to everybody who reported the problem and in particular to
                                Keith for finding the offending commit. Some confirmation that things
                                work again would be nice, but I am pretty confident that all is well
                                now.

                              • Tiago Taveira
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 23, 2009
                                  On Feb 13, 2009, at 9:48 PM, björn wrote:
                                  > Some confirmation that things work again
                                  > would be nice, but I am pretty confident
                                  > that all is well now.
                                  >
                                  > Björn

                                  Works nicely :)
                                  Thanks for fixing it!