Re: history not saved

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2009
      2009/2/1 Bee:

      > The problem is after quitting MacVim, and starting again the commands
      > issued in the previous session are no longer there, ie NOT saved. The
      > terminal vim does save those commands in the file named .viminfo
      >
      > Using :history, q: or q/ with MacVim will show the items
      > in .viminfo but new commands issued in MacVim are not persistent
      > across sessions.

      This could be related to the Quickstart+viminfo issue Jonathon brought
      up in a previous post. Please disable Quickstart and see if that
      makes any difference (or let me know if you weren't using Quickstart
      to begin with).

    • Bee
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 2, 2009
        > Date: Sun, Feb 1 2009 11:16 am From: björn
        > 2009/2/1 Bee:
        >> The problem is after quitting MacVim, and starting again the commands
        >> issued in the previous session are no longer there, ie NOT saved. The
        >> terminal vim does save those commands in the file named .viminfo
        >>
        >> Using :history, q: or q/ with MacVim will show the items
        >> in .viminfo but new commands issued in MacVim are not persistent
        >> across sessions.
        >
        > This could be related to the Quickstart+viminfo issue Jonathon brought
        > up in a previous post. Please disable Quickstart and see if that
        > makes any difference (or let me know if you weren't using Quickstart
        > to begin with).

        I do not have Quickstart enabled.

        So that is not the problem, I tried all combinations of:
        [ ] Launch Vim processes in a login shell
        [ ] Use ATSUI renderer
        [ ] Enable Quickstart

        And history was not saved.

        Then I was inspired...

        I used :qa! to close all the files I was using as tests and THEN
        command+q to quit MacVim, restarted MacVim and there it was... a
        history of the commands issued in the last session.

        It seems command+q does not update .viminfo

        --
        Bill Muench
        Santa Cruz, California

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 2, 2009
          2009/2/2 Bee:

          > I used :qa! to close all the files I was using as tests and THEN
          > command+q to quit MacVim, restarted MacVim and there it was... a
          > history of the commands issued in the last session.
          >
          > It seems command+q does not update .viminfo

          Ok, I've found the problem and pushed a patch now. The fix will be in
          the next snapshot.

          Thanks for reporting this issue!

        • dex
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 19, 2009
            > by björn-11 Feb 02, 2009; 02:47pm:
            >
            > 2009/2/2 Bee:
            > > I used :qa! to close all the files I was using as tests and THEN
            > > command+q to quit MacVim, restarted MacVim and there it was... a
            > > history of the commands issued in the last session.
            > > It seems command+q does not update .viminfo
            >
            > Ok, I've found the problem and pushed a patch now. The fix will be in
            > the next snapshot.
            > Thanks for reporting this issue!
            > Björn

            Hi. I'm using the latest snapshot (42, vim ver 7.2.75) and I can
            confirm this issue still exists.

            -dex

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 20, 2009
              Hi Dex,

              2009/2/19 dex:

              >> by björn-11 Feb 02, 2009; 02:47pm:
              >>
              >> 2009/2/2 Bee:
              >> > I used :qa! to close all the files I was using as tests and THEN
              >> > command+q to quit MacVim, restarted MacVim and there it was... a
              >> > history of the commands issued in the last session.
              >> > It seems command+q does not update .viminfo
              >>
              >> Ok, I've found the problem and pushed a patch now. The fix will be in
              >> the next snapshot.
              >> Thanks for reporting this issue!
              >> Björn
              >
              > Hi. I'm using the latest snapshot (42, vim ver 7.2.75) and I can
              > confirm this issue still exists.

              I guess I should say which snapshot is the "next" at the time of
              typing. This particular bug was only fixed in snapshot 43 (released
              today).

            • Nico Weber
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 20, 2009
                >> 2009/2/2 Bee:
                >>> I used :qa! to close all the files I was using as tests and THEN
                >>> command+q to quit MacVim, restarted MacVim and there it was... a
                >>> history of the commands issued in the last session.
                >>> It seems command+q does not update .viminfo
                >>
                >> Ok, I've found the problem and pushed a patch now. The fix will be
                >> in
                >> the next snapshot.
                >> Thanks for reporting this issue!
                >> Björn
                >
                > Hi. I'm using the latest snapshot (42, vim ver 7.2.75) and I can
                > confirm this issue still exists.

                No snapshot with the fix has been released yet. 43 will probably come
                out this weekend, so you just have to wait a few more days.

                Nico
              • ahso
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 20, 2009

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 27, 2009
                    On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 5:03 PM, dex <djdexter@...> wrote:
                    > Hi.  I'm using the latest snapshot (42, vim ver 7.2.75) and I can
                    > confirm this issue still exists.

                    Never mind on this. I figured out the problem. For some reason, my
                    ~/.viminfo was set with root ownership instead of my user.

                  • Brian McKee
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 27, 2009
                      On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:05 AM, dex <djdexter@...> wrote:

                      > On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 5:03 PM, dex <djdexter@...> wrote:
                      >> Hi.  I'm using the latest snapshot (42, vim ver 7.2.75) and I can
                      >> confirm this issue still exists.
                      >
                      > Never mind on this.  I figured out the problem.  For some reason, my
                      > ~/.viminfo was set with root ownership instead of my user.

                      You did sudo vi somethingorother before you ever launched vi regularly IIRC.
                      I remember a couple of threads about this before, but that may have
                      been the Ubuntu mailing list.

                      Brian