Re: history not saved

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 31, 2009
      2009/1/29 Bee:

      > MacVim Snapshot 42
      > MacOS 10.4.11
      >
      > When I quit MacVim the restart, the history has not been saved.
      >
      > If I use a cli vim, history IS saved and shows up later in MacVim.
      >
      > What am I missing? Is it a preference? They both use the same .vimrc.

      Can you specify exactly what you mean by "the history" and how to tell
      whether it has been "saved" or not? Sorry if I'm being obtuse, but
      I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about. :?

    • Bee
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2009
        > Date: Sat, Jan 31 2009 10:16 am
        > 2009/1/29 Bee:
        >> MacVim Snapshot 42
        >> MacOS 10.4.11
        >>
        >> When I quit MacVim the restart, the history has not been saved.
        >>
        >> If I use a cli vim, history IS saved and shows up later in MacVim.
        >>
        >> What am I missing? Is it a preference? They both use the same .vimrc.
        >
        > Can you specify exactly what you mean by "the history" and how to tell
        > whether it has been "saved" or not? Sorry if I'm being obtuse, but
        > I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about. :?

        command line history

        See VIM REFERENCE MANUAL > cmdline.txt
        --or--
        :help :history
        :help q\:
        :help q\/

        When using MacVim or terminal vim, I can use up-arrow to recall
        previous commands. Also :history, q: or q/ will open a window showing
        the previous commands. All this works in MacVim or terminal vim in
        the current session.

        The problem is after quitting MacVim, and starting again the commands
        issued in the previous session are no longer there, ie NOT saved. The
        terminal vim does save those commands in the file named .viminfo

        Using :history, q: or q/ with MacVim will show the items
        in .viminfo but new commands issued in MacVim are not persistent
        across sessions.

        --
        Bill

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2009
          2009/2/1 Bee:

          > The problem is after quitting MacVim, and starting again the commands
          > issued in the previous session are no longer there, ie NOT saved. The
          > terminal vim does save those commands in the file named .viminfo
          >
          > Using :history, q: or q/ with MacVim will show the items
          > in .viminfo but new commands issued in MacVim are not persistent
          > across sessions.

          This could be related to the Quickstart+viminfo issue Jonathon brought
          up in a previous post. Please disable Quickstart and see if that
          makes any difference (or let me know if you weren't using Quickstart
          to begin with).

        • Bee
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 2, 2009
            > Date: Sun, Feb 1 2009 11:16 am From: björn
            > 2009/2/1 Bee:
            >> The problem is after quitting MacVim, and starting again the commands
            >> issued in the previous session are no longer there, ie NOT saved. The
            >> terminal vim does save those commands in the file named .viminfo
            >>
            >> Using :history, q: or q/ with MacVim will show the items
            >> in .viminfo but new commands issued in MacVim are not persistent
            >> across sessions.
            >
            > This could be related to the Quickstart+viminfo issue Jonathon brought
            > up in a previous post. Please disable Quickstart and see if that
            > makes any difference (or let me know if you weren't using Quickstart
            > to begin with).

            I do not have Quickstart enabled.

            So that is not the problem, I tried all combinations of:
            [ ] Launch Vim processes in a login shell
            [ ] Use ATSUI renderer
            [ ] Enable Quickstart

            And history was not saved.

            Then I was inspired...

            I used :qa! to close all the files I was using as tests and THEN
            command+q to quit MacVim, restarted MacVim and there it was... a
            history of the commands issued in the last session.

            It seems command+q does not update .viminfo

            --
            Bill Muench
            Santa Cruz, California

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 2, 2009
              2009/2/2 Bee:

              > I used :qa! to close all the files I was using as tests and THEN
              > command+q to quit MacVim, restarted MacVim and there it was... a
              > history of the commands issued in the last session.
              >
              > It seems command+q does not update .viminfo

              Ok, I've found the problem and pushed a patch now. The fix will be in
              the next snapshot.

              Thanks for reporting this issue!

            • dex
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 19, 2009
                > by björn-11 Feb 02, 2009; 02:47pm:
                >
                > 2009/2/2 Bee:
                > > I used :qa! to close all the files I was using as tests and THEN
                > > command+q to quit MacVim, restarted MacVim and there it was... a
                > > history of the commands issued in the last session.
                > > It seems command+q does not update .viminfo
                >
                > Ok, I've found the problem and pushed a patch now. The fix will be in
                > the next snapshot.
                > Thanks for reporting this issue!
                > Björn

                Hi. I'm using the latest snapshot (42, vim ver 7.2.75) and I can
                confirm this issue still exists.

                -dex

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 20, 2009
                  Hi Dex,

                  2009/2/19 dex:

                  >> by björn-11 Feb 02, 2009; 02:47pm:
                  >>
                  >> 2009/2/2 Bee:
                  >> > I used :qa! to close all the files I was using as tests and THEN
                  >> > command+q to quit MacVim, restarted MacVim and there it was... a
                  >> > history of the commands issued in the last session.
                  >> > It seems command+q does not update .viminfo
                  >>
                  >> Ok, I've found the problem and pushed a patch now. The fix will be in
                  >> the next snapshot.
                  >> Thanks for reporting this issue!
                  >> Björn
                  >
                  > Hi. I'm using the latest snapshot (42, vim ver 7.2.75) and I can
                  > confirm this issue still exists.

                  I guess I should say which snapshot is the "next" at the time of
                  typing. This particular bug was only fixed in snapshot 43 (released
                  today).

                • Nico Weber
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 20, 2009
                    >> 2009/2/2 Bee:
                    >>> I used :qa! to close all the files I was using as tests and THEN
                    >>> command+q to quit MacVim, restarted MacVim and there it was... a
                    >>> history of the commands issued in the last session.
                    >>> It seems command+q does not update .viminfo
                    >>
                    >> Ok, I've found the problem and pushed a patch now. The fix will be
                    >> in
                    >> the next snapshot.
                    >> Thanks for reporting this issue!
                    >> Björn
                    >
                    > Hi. I'm using the latest snapshot (42, vim ver 7.2.75) and I can
                    > confirm this issue still exists.

                    No snapshot with the fix has been released yet. 43 will probably come
                    out this weekend, so you just have to wait a few more days.

                    Nico
                  • ahso
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 20, 2009

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 27, 2009
                        On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 5:03 PM, dex <djdexter@...> wrote:
                        > Hi.  I'm using the latest snapshot (42, vim ver 7.2.75) and I can
                        > confirm this issue still exists.

                        Never mind on this. I figured out the problem. For some reason, my
                        ~/.viminfo was set with root ownership instead of my user.

                      • Brian McKee
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 27, 2009
                          On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:05 AM, dex <djdexter@...> wrote:

                          > On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 5:03 PM, dex <djdexter@...> wrote:
                          >> Hi.  I'm using the latest snapshot (42, vim ver 7.2.75) and I can
                          >> confirm this issue still exists.
                          >
                          > Never mind on this.  I figured out the problem.  For some reason, my
                          > ~/.viminfo was set with root ownership instead of my user.

                          You did sudo vi somethingorother before you ever launched vi regularly IIRC.
                          I remember a couple of threads about this before, but that may have
                          been the Ubuntu mailing list.

                          Brian