Re: cpu utilization

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 23, 2009
      Hi George,

      2009/1/23 George V. Reilly:
      > I noticed that MacVim was showing up in the top 5 processes on the CPU
      > section of iStat Menus, with anywhere from 1.7 to 5% CPU utilization. This
      > is while MacVim was idle and another application was in the foreground.

      This does not happen to me -- while in the background MacVim takes up
      0% CPU, so I'm not sure what is happening on your machine.

      One "problem" I do know about is that if you move the mouse around on
      top of a focussed MacVim window it will starting eating CPU cycles in
      the range you mentioned. This is because MacVim is forced to handle
      "mouse moved" messages.

      A possible scenario is that there is some bug in MacVim where it still
      handles mouse moved messages even while in the background and that's
      what you could be seeing. This is mere conjecture -- I've not seen
      any hints of such a bug myself. Try moving the mouse around a bit
      with windows focussed as well as unfocussed and see if that makes any
      difference.