Re: MacVim: move tab bar to bottom?

  • alexanderkahn
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 21, 2009

      I think iTerm, and possibly Adium, allow the user to choose where the
      tabs live.

      Alex

      On Jan 21, 1:38 am, Nico Weber <nicolaswe...@...> wrote:
      > Hi Jay,
      >
      > On 20.01.2009, at 16:22, Jay wrote:
      >
      > > I searched the wiki and help, but I don't see anything mentioned on
      > > this - is it possible to move the tab bar to the bottom of the window
      > > instead of the top? I would prefer the tab bar on the bottom but I
      > > can't seem to find any way to do this.
      >
      > This not currently possible, and I doubt it will be possible soon.
      >
      > This sounds like a surprising suggestion to me :-P I don't know any
      > other programs that do this. Out of curiosity, can you give a few
      > examples of programs that do this?
      >
      > Nico

    • Jay
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 21, 2009
        On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 7:51 AM, alexanderkahn <alexanderkahn@...> wrote:
        > I think iTerm, and possibly Adium, allow the user to choose where the
        > tabs live.

        Alex - you're right, I'd forgotten about Adium. I use Adium every day
        and can confirm, the tabs are at the bottom :-)

        -Jay

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 23, 2009
          2009/1/21 Jay:

          > Ah, bummer, I was hoping it was just a non-obvious option. Any
          > technical reason you don't think it will be added, or is it just a
          > design philosophy question? If there's no technical hurdle to it I
          > might be tempted to try adding it to my pile of programming side
          > projects to see if I can patch MacVim for it.

          Unfortunately I think this is a pretty non-trivial change but you are
          of course welcome to try (can't guarantee I'd merge such a patch
          though)...

          Anyway, it is not something I'd like to do myself due to the amount of
          effort it would require not to mention I'd prefer to keep things
          simple (and I'm guessing not too many people would care for this
          option?).

        • Jay
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 23, 2009
            On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 12:37 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
            > Unfortunately I think this is a pretty non-trivial change but you are
            > of course welcome to try (can't guarantee I'd merge such a patch
            > though)...
            >
            > Anyway, it is not something I'd like to do myself due to the amount of
            > effort it would require not to mention I'd prefer to keep things
            > simple (and I'm guessing not too many people would care for this
            > option?).

            Fair enough, I guess for now I'll just live with the tab bar on the
            top. Thanks for the reply!

            -Jay