Re: taglist and Exuberant Ctags

  • Andy Todd
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2009
      You are confusing a couple of different things here, let's see if we can
      simplify.

      Tokyo Dan wrote:
      > I just dropped the MacVim 7.2 into my OS X 10.5 Applications folder.
      >
      > 1. What is the "mvim" and what do I do with it?

      mvim is a convenient script for launching MacVim from the command line.
      If you only ever use the dock or the finder you shouldn't need it.

      If you want to launch MacVim from within a terminal (or iTerm) window
      then macvim is one of doing so. There have been a couple of recent
      threads on this list about mvim, have a look at this one;

      http://groups.google.com/group/vim_mac/browse_thread/thread/7a48f09e4c0d1fc9#

      > 2. Does MacVim have a plugin folder where I can install "taglist.vim"?
      >
      > According to the taglist.txt help file:
      >
      > "unzip the files to the $HOME/.vim or the $HOME/vimfiles or the
      > $VIM/vimfiles directory"
      >
      > I don't have any of these directories.

      Open a terminal window, and type the following commands (the '$' is the
      prompt, don't type that);

      $ cd
      $ mkdir .vim
      $ unzip <your taglist.zip file location> .vim/

      > 3. How do I install and configure Exuberant Ctags for use with MacVim?

      The taglist plugin relies on Exuberant Ctags to work properly. Your Mac
      will have gnu ctags installed but this is known to cause issues with the
      Taglist plugin.

      You can find Exuberant Ctags here - http://ctags.sourceforge.net - and
      can install it from source from that site or you can install it using
      one of the Mac package managers such as Macports (http://macports.org/)
      or Fink (http://www.finkproject.org).

      You then need to tell the Taglist plugin where to find Exuberant Ctags
      by adding a line something like this to your .vimrc file;

      let Tlist_Ctags_Cmd='/opt/local/bin/ctags'

      Regards,
      Andy
      --
      From the desk of Andrew J Todd esq - http://www.halfcooked.com/