Re: install help, please

  • Nico Weber
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 19, 2009
      > just out of curiousity, does this do the exact same thing?
      > i mean, in one case you're making a symbolic link and in the other an
      > alias.

      No, it's not the exact same thing. The symbolic link is an actual file
      in your file system (it's visible if you do `ls /usr/local/bin` for
      example), while the `alias` command tells your shell that it should
      insert the long form each time it sees the short form.

      But for all practical purposes I can think of, both ways have the same
      effect.

      Nico