Re: link errors: vim 6.2f on Mac OS X

    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
      Rain Dog wrote:
      > Patrick Curtain wrote:
      >
      >> Any reason we don't compile with python support? The mac is shipping
      >> with it, fully supported.... does it pose difficulties that prevent
      >> including it everywhere?
      >
      > Well, it appears that Apple neglected to ship a libpython library.
      > Unless that has changed in 10.2.6, which I haven't yet installed,
      > there can be no Python support in Vim, unfortunately, without custom
      > installation (via Fink, for example).

      Is libpython required at run-time or only at link-time? I could install
      python from Fink, but I do not want to distribute a binary that fails to start
      up on standard OS X systems.

      --Benji Fisher
    • Rain Dog
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
        On Monday, June 2, 2003, at 06:16 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

        > Rain Dog wrote:
        >> Patrick Curtain wrote:
        >>> Any reason we don't compile with python support?
        >> it appears that Apple neglected to ship a libpython library.
        >
        > Is libpython required at run-time or only at link-time? I could
        > install python from Fink, but I do not want to distribute a binary
        > that fails to start up on standard OS X systems.

        It's statically linked, so that should work. Just make sure you build
        a version of libpython.a that's compatible with the runtime files (see
        /usr/lib/python2.2/) that ship with OSX. I think OSX's Python is v2.2,
        and Fink's is v2.2.2, which I guess is OK.

        Peter