Mac-style scrollbars

  • Jonathon Mah
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2009

      I'm just wanting to gauge interest in "Mac-style" scrollbars, where
      each Vim window has a scrollbar on its right and/or bottom edges
      (instead of the extreme edges of the Mac window enclosing it). I
      couldn't see anything in the archives about it. Is this something that
      people would find useful, or is sticking to the Vim way preferred?

      Jonathon Mah
      me@...

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2009
        Hi Jonathan,

        On 10.01.2009, at 13:11, Jonathon Mah wrote:

        > I'm just wanting to gauge interest in "Mac-style" scrollbars, where
        > each Vim window has a scrollbar on its right and/or bottom edges
        > (instead of the extreme edges of the Mac window enclosing it). I
        > couldn't see anything in the archives about it. Is this something that
        > people would find useful, or is sticking to the Vim way preferred?

        i think Mac-style scrollbars are nicer, but I don't care a lot about it.

        I guess it's very hard to add this, though, as vim's window layout is
        character-based, and the size of a character changes when you hit ⌘=,
        while the size of a scroll bar does not change. So you would probably
        have to change vim's window layout code, and that sounds like more
        effort than it's worth.

        Nico
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 11, 2009
          2009/1/11 Nico Weber:

          > On 10.01.2009, at 13:11, Jonathon Mah wrote:
          >
          >> I'm just wanting to gauge interest in "Mac-style" scrollbars, where
          >> each Vim window has a scrollbar on its right and/or bottom edges
          >> (instead of the extreme edges of the Mac window enclosing it). I
          >> couldn't see anything in the archives about it. Is this something that
          >> people would find useful, or is sticking to the Vim way preferred?
          >
          > i think Mac-style scrollbars are nicer, but I don't care a lot about it.
          >
          > I guess it's very hard to add this, though, as vim's window layout is
          > character-based, and the size of a character changes when you hit ⌘=,
          > while the size of a scroll bar does not change. So you would probably
          > have to change vim's window layout code, and that sounds like more
          > effort than it's worth.

          I second this opinion: it would be a lot of work to implement and
          then once you get there I see very little chance of this patch being
          accepted into the Vim mainline. I'm sure there are more useful things
          to work on.