Re: link errors: vim 6.2f on Mac OS X

    Message 1 of 19 , May 29, 2003
      Rain Dog wrote:
      > On Wednesday, May 28, 2003, at 08:50 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:
      >
      >> The .rsrc file is distributed as a .hqx file. Can we add a rule for
      >> this?
      >
      > I looked once but couldn't find a command-line tool (that ships with OSX)
      > that processes BinHex files. StuffIt Expander would work ("open -a
      > StuffIt\ Expander os_mac.rsr.hqx"), but I'm not sure we want to be invoking
      > it from a makefile.

      I just "open os_mac.rsr.hqx". SE starts up, does its stuff (or unstuff ;)
      and quits. Why not do it from the makefile?

      >>> - adds Python support, currently disabled (because if_python.c
      >>> appears to be incompatible (?) with Python 2.2).
      >>
      >> This does not work for me. I'll send you the error messages later
      >
      > [Later that day...]
      > Thanks for the info! I think I've now fixed the problems with my earlier
      > patch, as well as the if_python.c issues. However,

      Glad to help!

      > Well, it appears that Apple neglected to ship a libpython library.
      > Unless that has changed in 10.2.6, which I haven't yet installed,
      > there can be no Python support in Vim, unfortunately, without custom
      > installation (via Fink, for example).

      I have installed 10.2.6, and do not seem to have python installed under
      /sw. Where do I look to see if libpython is installed?

      --Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 19 , May 29, 2003
        MURAOKA Taro wrote:
        >>1. I think there is still a "6.0" in infplist.xml . I changed it by hand to
        >>"6.2f". IIUC, this file is processed by Make_osx.mak, so it should be possible
        >>to do this automatically. Can anyone fix this?
        >

        > Do you say about CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion? This 6.0 doesn't mean
        > Vim's version. It represents the version of this file format, and
        > shouldn't be changed. This is documented in here.
        > http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn2013.html

        I guess I goofed. Thanks for correcting me.

        --Benji Fisher
      • Emily Jackson
        Message 3 of 19 , May 29, 2003
          On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 08:36 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

          > I just "open os_mac.rsr.hqx". SE starts up, does its stuff (or
          > unstuff ;) and quits. Why not do it from the makefile?

          Mac OS X launch services are so unpredictable, Expander *may* not start
          up using just "open filename". (The first time I tried to build Vim,
          "open os_mac.rsr.hqx" caused MacLink Plus to start up, not StuffIt
          Expander.) "open -a StuffIt\ Expander" would be much safer.

          Emily
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
            Rain Dog wrote:
            > Patrick Curtain wrote:
            >
            >> Any reason we don't compile with python support? The mac is shipping
            >> with it, fully supported.... does it pose difficulties that prevent
            >> including it everywhere?
            >
            > Well, it appears that Apple neglected to ship a libpython library.
            > Unless that has changed in 10.2.6, which I haven't yet installed,
            > there can be no Python support in Vim, unfortunately, without custom
            > installation (via Fink, for example).

            Is libpython required at run-time or only at link-time? I could install
            python from Fink, but I do not want to distribute a binary that fails to start
            up on standard OS X systems.

            --Benji Fisher
          • Rain Dog
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
              On Monday, June 2, 2003, at 06:16 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

              > Rain Dog wrote:
              >> Patrick Curtain wrote:
              >>> Any reason we don't compile with python support?
              >> it appears that Apple neglected to ship a libpython library.
              >
              > Is libpython required at run-time or only at link-time? I could
              > install python from Fink, but I do not want to distribute a binary
              > that fails to start up on standard OS X systems.

              It's statically linked, so that should work. Just make sure you build
              a version of libpython.a that's compatible with the runtime files (see
              /usr/lib/python2.2/) that ship with OSX. I think OSX's Python is v2.2,
              and Fink's is v2.2.2, which I guess is OK.

              Peter