Re: Request: Text Rendering as in SubEthaEdit

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 4, 2009
      2009/1/4 Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...>:

      > To me, the difference is not just character spacing: in the screen
      > fonts-enabled screenshot, the characters seem to be more aligned with
      > pixel lines and are thus often less "colorful" (they are colored at
      > all because of os x's subpixel antialiasing). For example, see the
      > left edge of the "U" in line 3 or the "E" in line 5.

      I can't really see that much of a difference apart from the spacing.
      The fact that the character spacing changes seems to make the most
      difference. To test what it would look like in MacVim I did the
      following:

      a. disable screen fonts
      b. disable fixed character advances

      The result were these

      (1) http://bjorn.winckler.googlepages.com/NO-ScreenFonts.png
      (2) http://bjorn.winckler.googlepages.com/ScreenFonts.png
      (3) http://bjorn.winckler.googlepages.com/ScreenFonts-VariableCharWidth.png

      In (1) I've used the default settings with "gfn=DejaVuSansMono:h9".
      Then I disabled screen fonts in (2), and finally I disabled both
      screen fonts as well as fixed character advances in (3).

      I can't see any difference between (1) and (2). Note that (3) fails
      to fit the window because the character advances are not what MacVim
      thinks they should be. There isn't much to do about this
      unfortunately (because all of Vim is built around the assumption that
      every character has the same width), so this style of rendering won't
      work even though it may look more pleasing.

      To conclude, (with the above font) disabling screen fonts seem to make
      no difference (to me at least) -- the big difference is seen when
      Cocoa is allowed to use variable character advances.