Re: MacVim.app - snapshot 40

    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 1, 2009
      2008/12/31 Brian McKee <brian.mckee@...>:

      > On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 1:53 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
      >
      >> I have no access to network shares so cannot confirm (or debug) this.
      >> Can anybody else confirm (or debug, if possible) this bug?
      >
      > FWIW, any old samba or appletalk share has the same issue - so any
      > shared directory from whatever second computer you have lying around
      > should be able to reproduce it.

      Ok, can somebody give me step-by-step instructions on how to enable
      some kind of sharing on a Tiger machine and how I then connect to it
      and reproduce the bug? That would help a lot.

      Thanks,

    • Brian McKee
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 2, 2009
        On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 1:35 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
        > 2008/12/31 Brian McKee <brian.mckee@...>:
        >> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 1:53 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
        >>> I have no access to network shares so cannot confirm (or debug) this.
        >>> Can anybody else confirm (or debug, if possible) this bug?
        >> FWIW, any old samba or appletalk share has the same issue - so any
        >> shared directory from whatever second computer you have lying around
        >> should be able to reproduce it.
        > Ok, can somebody give me step-by-step instructions on how to enable
        > some kind of sharing on a Tiger machine and how I then connect to it
        > and reproduce the bug? That would help a lot.

        Hi Bjorn

        These instructions are a bit more complete than is really necessary,
        but I wanted you to have same setup I do for consistency.

        Assuming the machines are on the same LAN,

        On the Tiger 'server' machine - go to System Preferences -> Sharing
        and turn on the 'Personal File Sharing' tick box.

        On the 'client' machine in Finder from the 'Go' menu choose Network
        and you should see the 'server' listed there. Click 'connect' and
        enter the username/password from the 'server' machine. That will
        mount the remote share and put it in the Finder window side bar.

        Now hit 'Shift-Cmd-G' and enter /Volumes as the path. The file share
        will be on that list. Use Cmd-Option and drag the share to your
        desktop to create an alias.

        Unmount the network share by hitting the little eject in the sidebar
        or dragging the share to the trash.
        Prove it works by double clicking the alias to remount the volume.
        Now unmount it again.

        Try it in Textedit - start the program, hit Cmd-O and choose the
        alias. Wait about one second and it will mount the network share and
        show you the contents.

        Now try MacVim...

        Hopefully that was clear enough - let me know.
        Brian

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 4, 2009
          2009/1/2 Brian McKee <brian.mckee@...>:

          > These instructions are a bit more complete than is really necessary,
          > but I wanted you to have same setup I do for consistency.
          > -snip-
          > Try it in Textedit - start the program, hit Cmd-O and choose the
          > alias. Wait about one second and it will mount the network share and
          > show you the contents.
          >
          > Now try MacVim...

          Brian, thank you for the easy to follow instructions.

          Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the bug -- I can browse by clicking
          the alias in the open dialog in MacVim without any problems. I made
          sure to unmount the share first too. When I click the alias to the
          (unmounted) share it brings up a dialog asking for my password. When
          entered I can browse the network share just like any local folder.

          Do you have any other ideas on how I may be able to reproduce this bug?

        • Brian McKee
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 4, 2009
            On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 11:06 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

            > 2009/1/2 Brian McKee <brian.mckee@...>:
            >> Try it in Textedit - start the program, hit Cmd-O and choose the
            >> alias. Wait about one second and it will mount the network share and
            >> show you the contents.
            >>
            >> Now try MacVim...
            > Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the bug -- I can browse by clicking
            > the alias in the open dialog in MacVim without any problems. I made
            > sure to unmount the share first too. When I click the alias to the
            > (unmounted) share it brings up a dialog asking for my password. When
            > entered I can browse the network share just like any local folder.
            >
            > Do you have any other ideas on how I may be able to reproduce this bug?

            Huh...

            No, I don't have any thoughts other than are you going Leopard client
            to Tiger server? I'm Tiger both ends....

            I did recreate the bug a couple of times while writing those
            instructions, and tested it again with stable which works fine.

            I believe someone else noticed something similar - are you using
            Leopard or Tiger?

            Brian

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 4, 2009
              2009/1/4 Brian McKee <brian.mckee@...>:
              > On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 11:06 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Do you have any other ideas on how I may be able to reproduce this bug?
              >
              > Huh...
              >
              > No, I don't have any thoughts other than are you going Leopard client
              > to Tiger server? I'm Tiger both ends....

              Yes, I am running Leopard client and Tiger server...

              > I did recreate the bug a couple of times while writing those
              > instructions, and tested it again with stable which works fine.

              Ok. I'll try running Tiger client and Leopard server next to see if I
              can reproduce the bug that way.

            • wishi
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 5, 2009
                Hi!

                I must report errors, too. In a previous version of MacVim there was an
                option that defined a faster alternative rendering for fonts.
                I used that... but forgot what it did. Maybe that's a problem now?
                The option disappeared.

                In any case the newest snapshot produces a bunch of errors:

                Binary:

                sha1:
                f8baf0172c3ea9121c5fbf1ab993b049cef34bff

                MacVim-7_2-stable-1_2.tbz
                from http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

                System:

                MacOS X 10.5.6 Intel C2D

                Errors:

                * No Mouse support in MacVim GUI for Textarea. Not even in visual mode.
                * many rendering errors (pictures attached)

                I didn't continue using it thatfor. Mouse-support for a GUI version is
                essentially important ;).

                Thanks,
                wishi

                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 5, 2009
                  Hi wishi,

                  2009/1/5 wishi <brouce@...>:
                  > Hi!
                  >
                  > I must report errors, too. In a previous version of MacVim there was an
                  > option that defined a faster alternative rendering for fonts.
                  > I used that... but forgot what it did. Maybe that's a problem now?
                  > The option disappeared.
                  >
                  > In any case the newest snapshot produces a bunch of errors:
                  >
                  > Binary:
                  >
                  > sha1:
                  > f8baf0172c3ea9121c5fbf1ab993b049cef34bff
                  >
                  > MacVim-7_2-stable-1_2.tbz
                  > from http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

                  That's actually _not_ a snapshot -- it is the stable version which is
                  much older and has less features. I think your problem most likely is
                  that you used to run a snapshot with ATSUI enabled but this does not
                  work very well with the stable build. Try downloading the snapshot
                  instead and your problems should go away. You can download it from
                  here:

                  http://macvim.googlecode.com/files/MacVim-snapshot-40.tbz

                • Tom H
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 5, 2009
                    I'm using Leopard. The share I was browsing was on an Ubuntu server,
                    mounted with macfusion (sshfs). I also tried mounting the share using
                    samba (finder's "connect to server...") and it resulted in the same
                    behavior.

                    On Jan 4, 11:59 am, "Brian McKee" <brian.mc...@...> wrote:
                    > On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 11:06 AM, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:

                    > I believe someone else noticed something similar - are you using
                    > Leopard or Tiger?
                    >
                    > Brian
                  • Fredrik Bränström
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 9, 2009
                      I'm having a problem with the latest snapshot. The auto-update doesn't
                      work. It just stands there with a full progress bar, on "Extracting
                      update..." after it has downloaded.
                    • Johannes Beigel
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 9, 2009
                        On 09.01.2009, at 16:20, Fredrik Bränström wrote:
                        > I'm having a problem with the latest snapshot. The auto-update doesn't
                        > work. It just stands there with a full progress bar, on "Extracting
                        > update..." after it has downloaded.

                        It's issue 144 in the bug tracker:

                        http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=144

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 9, 2009
                          2009/1/9 Fredrik Bränström <branstrom@...>:

                          > I'm having a problem with the latest snapshot. The auto-update doesn't
                          > work. It just stands there with a full progress bar, on "Extracting
                          > update..." after it has downloaded.

                          Thanks Fredrik, it has also been reported on the Issues pages:

                          http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=144

                          I have a patch for this under evaluation which I will push soon and a
                          new snapshot will follow shortly thereafter.