MacVim.app - snapshot 40

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 28, 2008

      I have uploaded a new snapshot of MacVim.app to

      http://code.google.com/p/macvim/wiki/Snapshot

      Please, download and let me know if there are any obvious problems with it.

      I have finally fixed the bug which was causing Vim processes to leak
      when Quickstart was enabled (as reported in Issues 121 and 133).
      Apart from this I've made some changes to the toolbar code so that
      plugins (e.g. TVO) now display the right icons.

      More exciting perhaps are the new document icons. Nico Weber has
      written a program to automatically generate document icons and I must
      say I think the new icons look a lot better than the old ones already.
      We tried not to add an icon for every possible file type there is in
      order to avoid bloating the app bundle, but it is not hard to add
      icons for more file types yourself if you so wish.

      Two more contributions come from Kent Sibilev who have added clipboard
      support in non-GUI mode and from Jonathon Mah who added support for
      the 'guitabtooltip' option. Many thanks for these patches guys!

      Finally, here is the list of changes since snapshot 39:

      - Fix problems with Quickstart "leaking" Vim processes
      - 'imdisable' now on by default (i.e. IM is disabled by default)
      - Clipboard support in non-GUI mode (Kent Sibilev)
      - New document icons, more filetype associations (Nico Weber)
      - Add support for 'guitabtooltip' (hint: add the line "set gtl=%t
      gtt=%F" to your .gvimrc to make tabs display the name of the file and
      have the tooltip display the full path) (Jonathon Mah)
      - Look for toolbar icons in runtime path (plugins such as TVO now
      display toolbar icons properly)
      - Show dialog when clicking to close tab with modified buffers
      - Update documentation
      - Latest Vim source code and runtime files

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 28, 2008
        > I have uploaded a new snapshot of MacVim.app to
        >
        > http://code.google.com/p/macvim/wiki/Snapshot
        >
        > Please, download and let me know if there are any obvious problems
        > with it.

        Seems to work fine so far (smoke test, some basic usage, tested that
        Python files can now be associated with MacVim, tested pasteboard in
        terminal, tested guitabtooltip).

        Is the "Pasteboard in Terminal" patch dependent on MacVim? If not,
        could it be merged with the official vim distribution?

        Nico

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 28, 2008
          2008/12/28 Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...>:

          > Seems to work fine so far (smoke test, some basic usage, tested that
          > Python files can now be associated with MacVim, tested pasteboard in
          > terminal, tested guitabtooltip).

          Thanks.

          > Is the "Pasteboard in Terminal" patch dependent on MacVim? If not,
          > could it be merged with the official vim distribution?

          Not sure. From what I can tell it is not but I think that it requires
          that you compile with a GUI which is why I haven't "passed the patch
          on" to vim_dev. I was hoping that Kent (the author of the patch)
          would perhaps know better than me and take care of this. (?)

        • Kent Sibilev
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 28, 2008
            On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 2:41 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

            > 2008/12/28 Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...>:
            >
            >> Is the "Pasteboard in Terminal" patch dependent on MacVim? If not,
            >> could it be merged with the official vim distribution?
            >
            > Not sure. From what I can tell it is not but I think that it requires
            > that you compile with a GUI which is why I haven't "passed the patch
            > on" to vim_dev. I was hoping that Kent (the author of the patch)
            > would perhaps know better than me and take care of this. (?)

            I think this patch is MacVim specific. When vim is invoked in non-GUI
            mode, the clipboard is disabled by default. And all the patch does, it
            re-enables the clipboard by calling clip_init(TRUE) if FEAT_GUI_MACVIM
            feature is presented. I noticed that vim does the same thing, for
            example, in os_unix.c when it detects that xterm is available.

          • Brian McKee
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 29, 2008
              On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 12:20 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
              > I have uploaded a new snapshot of MacVim.app to
              >
              > http://code.google.com/p/macvim/wiki/Snapshot
              >
              > Please, download and let me know if there are any obvious problems with it.

              Hi Guys - thanks for all your work!

              Found an issue. Will try to explain coherently.

              OSX 10.4.11 on an Intel iMac

              I keep aliases to network shares in a 'Favourites' folder. Then I
              open files on a network share by starting in the Favourites folder,
              choosing the alias, and Finder mounts the share so I can browse to it
              without leaving the 'open file' window. This works on Cocoa
              applications, but not Carbon ones. (e.g. Textedit works, Excel v.X
              doesn't)

              It also works with MacVim stable 1.2

              It doesn't work with snapshot 40 or 39 - it just beachballs.

              Please let me know what other info I can provide that's helpful.

              Brian

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 30, 2008
                2008/12/29 Brian McKee <brian.mckee@...>:

                > Found an issue. Will try to explain coherently.
                >
                > OSX 10.4.11 on an Intel iMac
                >
                > I keep aliases to network shares in a 'Favourites' folder. Then I
                > open files on a network share by starting in the Favourites folder,
                > choosing the alias, and Finder mounts the share so I can browse to it
                > without leaving the 'open file' window. This works on Cocoa
                > applications, but not Carbon ones. (e.g. Textedit works, Excel v.X
                > doesn't)
                >
                > It also works with MacVim stable 1.2
                >
                > It doesn't work with snapshot 40 or 39 - it just beachballs.

                I have no access to network shares so cannot confirm (or debug) this.
                Can anybody else confirm (or debug, if possible) this bug?

              • Tom H
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 30, 2008
                  I am having some issues with network shares, as well. If I have a
                  remote server mounted in /Volumes and try to browse to it from
                  MacVim's open prompt, it won't show anything within the mounted folder
                  at first. If I click away from the folder to a different directory,
                  then return to it, it will then list the contents. Same with any
                  directories underneath it, as well.

                  On Dec 30, 10:53 am, "björn" <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
                  > 2008/12/29 Brian McKee <brian.mc...@...>:
                  >

                  > > Found an issue.  Will try to explain coherently.
                  >
                  > > OSX 10.4.11 on an Intel iMac
                  >
                  > > I keep aliases to network shares in a 'Favourites' folder.  Then I
                  > > open files on a network share by starting in the Favourites folder,
                  > > choosing the alias, and Finder mounts the share so I can browse to it
                  > > without leaving the 'open file' window.  This works on Cocoa
                  > > applications, but not Carbon ones.  (e.g. Textedit works, Excel v.X
                  > > doesn't)
                  >
                  > > It also works with MacVim stable 1.2
                  >
                  > > It doesn't work with snapshot 40 or 39 - it just beachballs.
                  >
                  > I have no access to network shares so cannot confirm (or debug) this.
                  > Can anybody else confirm (or debug, if possible) this bug?
                  >
                  > Björn

                • Brian McKee
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 31, 2008
                    On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 1:53 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

                    > I have no access to network shares so cannot confirm (or debug) this.
                    > Can anybody else confirm (or debug, if possible) this bug?

                    FWIW, any old samba or appletalk share has the same issue - so any
                    shared directory from whatever second computer you have lying around
                    should be able to reproduce it.

                    Brian

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 1, 2009
                      2008/12/31 Brian McKee <brian.mckee@...>:

                      > On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 1:53 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> I have no access to network shares so cannot confirm (or debug) this.
                      >> Can anybody else confirm (or debug, if possible) this bug?
                      >
                      > FWIW, any old samba or appletalk share has the same issue - so any
                      > shared directory from whatever second computer you have lying around
                      > should be able to reproduce it.

                      Ok, can somebody give me step-by-step instructions on how to enable
                      some kind of sharing on a Tiger machine and how I then connect to it
                      and reproduce the bug? That would help a lot.

                      Thanks,

                    • Brian McKee
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 2, 2009
                        On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 1:35 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
                        > 2008/12/31 Brian McKee <brian.mckee@...>:
                        >> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 1:53 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
                        >>> I have no access to network shares so cannot confirm (or debug) this.
                        >>> Can anybody else confirm (or debug, if possible) this bug?
                        >> FWIW, any old samba or appletalk share has the same issue - so any
                        >> shared directory from whatever second computer you have lying around
                        >> should be able to reproduce it.
                        > Ok, can somebody give me step-by-step instructions on how to enable
                        > some kind of sharing on a Tiger machine and how I then connect to it
                        > and reproduce the bug? That would help a lot.

                        Hi Bjorn

                        These instructions are a bit more complete than is really necessary,
                        but I wanted you to have same setup I do for consistency.

                        Assuming the machines are on the same LAN,

                        On the Tiger 'server' machine - go to System Preferences -> Sharing
                        and turn on the 'Personal File Sharing' tick box.

                        On the 'client' machine in Finder from the 'Go' menu choose Network
                        and you should see the 'server' listed there. Click 'connect' and
                        enter the username/password from the 'server' machine. That will
                        mount the remote share and put it in the Finder window side bar.

                        Now hit 'Shift-Cmd-G' and enter /Volumes as the path. The file share
                        will be on that list. Use Cmd-Option and drag the share to your
                        desktop to create an alias.

                        Unmount the network share by hitting the little eject in the sidebar
                        or dragging the share to the trash.
                        Prove it works by double clicking the alias to remount the volume.
                        Now unmount it again.

                        Try it in Textedit - start the program, hit Cmd-O and choose the
                        alias. Wait about one second and it will mount the network share and
                        show you the contents.

                        Now try MacVim...

                        Hopefully that was clear enough - let me know.
                        Brian

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 4, 2009
                          2009/1/2 Brian McKee <brian.mckee@...>:

                          > These instructions are a bit more complete than is really necessary,
                          > but I wanted you to have same setup I do for consistency.
                          > -snip-
                          > Try it in Textedit - start the program, hit Cmd-O and choose the
                          > alias. Wait about one second and it will mount the network share and
                          > show you the contents.
                          >
                          > Now try MacVim...

                          Brian, thank you for the easy to follow instructions.

                          Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the bug -- I can browse by clicking
                          the alias in the open dialog in MacVim without any problems. I made
                          sure to unmount the share first too. When I click the alias to the
                          (unmounted) share it brings up a dialog asking for my password. When
                          entered I can browse the network share just like any local folder.

                          Do you have any other ideas on how I may be able to reproduce this bug?

                        • Brian McKee
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 4, 2009
                            On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 11:06 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

                            > 2009/1/2 Brian McKee <brian.mckee@...>:
                            >> Try it in Textedit - start the program, hit Cmd-O and choose the
                            >> alias. Wait about one second and it will mount the network share and
                            >> show you the contents.
                            >>
                            >> Now try MacVim...
                            > Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the bug -- I can browse by clicking
                            > the alias in the open dialog in MacVim without any problems. I made
                            > sure to unmount the share first too. When I click the alias to the
                            > (unmounted) share it brings up a dialog asking for my password. When
                            > entered I can browse the network share just like any local folder.
                            >
                            > Do you have any other ideas on how I may be able to reproduce this bug?

                            Huh...

                            No, I don't have any thoughts other than are you going Leopard client
                            to Tiger server? I'm Tiger both ends....

                            I did recreate the bug a couple of times while writing those
                            instructions, and tested it again with stable which works fine.

                            I believe someone else noticed something similar - are you using
                            Leopard or Tiger?

                            Brian

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 4, 2009
                              2009/1/4 Brian McKee <brian.mckee@...>:
                              > On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 11:06 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> Do you have any other ideas on how I may be able to reproduce this bug?
                              >
                              > Huh...
                              >
                              > No, I don't have any thoughts other than are you going Leopard client
                              > to Tiger server? I'm Tiger both ends....

                              Yes, I am running Leopard client and Tiger server...

                              > I did recreate the bug a couple of times while writing those
                              > instructions, and tested it again with stable which works fine.

                              Ok. I'll try running Tiger client and Leopard server next to see if I
                              can reproduce the bug that way.

                            • wishi
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 5, 2009
                                Hi!

                                I must report errors, too. In a previous version of MacVim there was an
                                option that defined a faster alternative rendering for fonts.
                                I used that... but forgot what it did. Maybe that's a problem now?
                                The option disappeared.

                                In any case the newest snapshot produces a bunch of errors:

                                Binary:

                                sha1:
                                f8baf0172c3ea9121c5fbf1ab993b049cef34bff

                                MacVim-7_2-stable-1_2.tbz
                                from http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

                                System:

                                MacOS X 10.5.6 Intel C2D

                                Errors:

                                * No Mouse support in MacVim GUI for Textarea. Not even in visual mode.
                                * many rendering errors (pictures attached)

                                I didn't continue using it thatfor. Mouse-support for a GUI version is
                                essentially important ;).

                                Thanks,
                                wishi

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 5, 2009
                                  Hi wishi,

                                  2009/1/5 wishi <brouce@...>:
                                  > Hi!
                                  >
                                  > I must report errors, too. In a previous version of MacVim there was an
                                  > option that defined a faster alternative rendering for fonts.
                                  > I used that... but forgot what it did. Maybe that's a problem now?
                                  > The option disappeared.
                                  >
                                  > In any case the newest snapshot produces a bunch of errors:
                                  >
                                  > Binary:
                                  >
                                  > sha1:
                                  > f8baf0172c3ea9121c5fbf1ab993b049cef34bff
                                  >
                                  > MacVim-7_2-stable-1_2.tbz
                                  > from http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

                                  That's actually _not_ a snapshot -- it is the stable version which is
                                  much older and has less features. I think your problem most likely is
                                  that you used to run a snapshot with ATSUI enabled but this does not
                                  work very well with the stable build. Try downloading the snapshot
                                  instead and your problems should go away. You can download it from
                                  here:

                                  http://macvim.googlecode.com/files/MacVim-snapshot-40.tbz

                                • Tom H
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 5, 2009
                                    I'm using Leopard. The share I was browsing was on an Ubuntu server,
                                    mounted with macfusion (sshfs). I also tried mounting the share using
                                    samba (finder's "connect to server...") and it resulted in the same
                                    behavior.

                                    On Jan 4, 11:59 am, "Brian McKee" <brian.mc...@...> wrote:
                                    > On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 11:06 AM, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:

                                    > I believe someone else noticed something similar - are you using
                                    > Leopard or Tiger?
                                    >
                                    > Brian
                                  • Fredrik Bränström
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 9, 2009
                                      I'm having a problem with the latest snapshot. The auto-update doesn't
                                      work. It just stands there with a full progress bar, on "Extracting
                                      update..." after it has downloaded.
                                    • Johannes Beigel
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 9, 2009
                                        On 09.01.2009, at 16:20, Fredrik Bränström wrote:
                                        > I'm having a problem with the latest snapshot. The auto-update doesn't
                                        > work. It just stands there with a full progress bar, on "Extracting
                                        > update..." after it has downloaded.

                                        It's issue 144 in the bug tracker:

                                        http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=144

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jan 9, 2009
                                          2009/1/9 Fredrik Bränström <branstrom@...>:

                                          > I'm having a problem with the latest snapshot. The auto-update doesn't
                                          > work. It just stands there with a full progress bar, on "Extracting
                                          > update..." after it has downloaded.

                                          Thanks Fredrik, it has also been reported on the Issues pages:

                                          http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=144

                                          I have a patch for this under evaluation which I will push soon and a
                                          new snapshot will follow shortly thereafter.