Re: link errors: vim 6.2f on Mac OS X

  • MURAOKA Taro
    Message 1 of 19 , May 28, 2003
      Thanks for patches.
      I'll include all, and propose those files again after 6.2 released.

      > o infplist.diff patches infplist.xml to set CFBundleSignature
      > to "VIM!" (instead of its current, default value of "????")

      Thanks.

      > o Make_osx.diff applies the following patches:
      > - makes ICONV default to "no" (because os_macosx.c doesn't
      > seem to compile with ICONV enabled)

      I have a set of patches to enable and fix few bugs about ICONV.
      I'll send those to list, later.

      > - adds a target that builds the Contents/Resources/gvim.rsrc
      > file, which is needed for some of Vim.app's dialog boxes
      > [Benji: It looks like your latest binary suffers from the
      > inputdialog() crash because it lacks this file.]
      > - changes the creator code in Contents/PkgInfo to "VIM!"
      > - adds Python support, currently disabled (because if_python.c
      > appears to be incompatible (?) with Python 2.2).

      Thanks lot!

      > Finally, unrelated to the above, os_mac_h.diff patches os_mac.h
      > to prevent gcc from printing lots of "warning: trigraph ??' ignored"
      > messages. (The patch replaces #define UNKNOWN_CREATOR '????' with
      > #define UNKNOWN_CREATOR '\?\?\?\?'.)

      It seems good for me. But I'm afraid this change may cause trouble for
      Classic Mac user when compile, may not?
      ----
      MURAOKA Taro <koron@...>
    • MURAOKA Taro
      Message 2 of 19 , May 28, 2003
        > 1. I think there is still a "6.0" in infplist.xml . I changed it by hand to
        > "6.2f". IIUC, this file is processed by Make_osx.mak, so it should be possible
        > to do this automatically. Can anyone fix this?

        Do you say about CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion? This 6.0 doesn't mean
        Vim's version. It represents the version of this file format, and
        shouldn't be changed. This is documented in here.
        http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn2013.html
        ----
        MURAOKA Taro <koron@...>
      • Rain Dog
        Message 3 of 19 , May 28, 2003
          On Wednesday, May 28, 2003, at 08:50 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

          > Rain Dog wrote:
          >> o Make_osx.diff applies the following patches:
          >> - adds a target that builds the Contents/Resources/gvim.rsrc
          >> file...
          >
          > The .rsrc file is distributed as a .hqx file. Can we add a rule for
          > this?

          I looked once but couldn't find a command-line tool (that ships with
          OSX)
          that processes BinHex files. StuffIt Expander would work ("open -a
          StuffIt\ Expander os_mac.rsr.hqx"), but I'm not sure we want to be
          invoking
          it from a makefile.

          >> - adds Python support, currently disabled (because if_python.c
          >> appears to be incompatible (?) with Python 2.2).
          >
          > This does not work for me. I'll send you the error messages later

          [Later that day...]
          Thanks for the info! I think I've now fixed the problems with my
          earlier
          patch, as well as the if_python.c issues. However,

          Patrick Curtain wrote:
          > Any reason we don't compile with python support? The mac is shipping
          > with it, fully supported.... does it pose difficulties that prevent
          > including it everywhere?

          Well, it appears that Apple neglected to ship a libpython library.
          Unless that has changed in 10.2.6, which I haven't yet installed,
          there can be no Python support in Vim, unfortunately, without custom
          installation (via Fink, for example).

          On Wednesday, May 28, 2003, at 10:26 AM, MURAOKA Taro wrote:

          >> Finally, unrelated to the above, os_mac_h.diff patches os_mac.h
          >> to prevent gcc from printing lots of "warning: trigraph ??' ignored"
          >> messages. (The patch replaces #define UNKNOWN_CREATOR '????' with
          >> #define UNKNOWN_CREATOR '\?\?\?\?'.)
          >
          > It seems good for me. But I'm afraid this change may cause trouble for
          > Classic Mac user when compile, may not?

          Hopefully, an OS 9 user can answer that question, but I'm pretty sure
          that \? (backslash question-mark) is the ANSI C escape code for a
          question mark, so I think it should be safe.

          Peter
          Message 4 of 19 , May 29, 2003
            Rain Dog wrote:
            > On Wednesday, May 28, 2003, at 08:50 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:
            >
            >> The .rsrc file is distributed as a .hqx file. Can we add a rule for
            >> this?
            >
            > I looked once but couldn't find a command-line tool (that ships with OSX)
            > that processes BinHex files. StuffIt Expander would work ("open -a
            > StuffIt\ Expander os_mac.rsr.hqx"), but I'm not sure we want to be invoking
            > it from a makefile.

            I just "open os_mac.rsr.hqx". SE starts up, does its stuff (or unstuff ;)
            and quits. Why not do it from the makefile?

            >>> - adds Python support, currently disabled (because if_python.c
            >>> appears to be incompatible (?) with Python 2.2).
            >>
            >> This does not work for me. I'll send you the error messages later
            >
            > [Later that day...]
            > Thanks for the info! I think I've now fixed the problems with my earlier
            > patch, as well as the if_python.c issues. However,

            Glad to help!

            > Well, it appears that Apple neglected to ship a libpython library.
            > Unless that has changed in 10.2.6, which I haven't yet installed,
            > there can be no Python support in Vim, unfortunately, without custom
            > installation (via Fink, for example).

            I have installed 10.2.6, and do not seem to have python installed under
            /sw. Where do I look to see if libpython is installed?

            --Benji Fisher
            Message 5 of 19 , May 29, 2003
              MURAOKA Taro wrote:
              >>1. I think there is still a "6.0" in infplist.xml . I changed it by hand to
              >>"6.2f". IIUC, this file is processed by Make_osx.mak, so it should be possible
              >>to do this automatically. Can anyone fix this?
              >

              > Do you say about CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion? This 6.0 doesn't mean
              > Vim's version. It represents the version of this file format, and
              > shouldn't be changed. This is documented in here.
              > http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn2013.html

              I guess I goofed. Thanks for correcting me.

              --Benji Fisher
            • Emily Jackson
              Message 6 of 19 , May 29, 2003
                On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 08:36 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

                > I just "open os_mac.rsr.hqx". SE starts up, does its stuff (or
                > unstuff ;) and quits. Why not do it from the makefile?

                Mac OS X launch services are so unpredictable, Expander *may* not start
                up using just "open filename". (The first time I tried to build Vim,
                "open os_mac.rsr.hqx" caused MacLink Plus to start up, not StuffIt
                Expander.) "open -a StuffIt\ Expander" would be much safer.

                Emily
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
                  Rain Dog wrote:
                  > Patrick Curtain wrote:
                  >
                  >> Any reason we don't compile with python support? The mac is shipping
                  >> with it, fully supported.... does it pose difficulties that prevent
                  >> including it everywhere?
                  >
                  > Well, it appears that Apple neglected to ship a libpython library.
                  > Unless that has changed in 10.2.6, which I haven't yet installed,
                  > there can be no Python support in Vim, unfortunately, without custom
                  > installation (via Fink, for example).

                  Is libpython required at run-time or only at link-time? I could install
                  python from Fink, but I do not want to distribute a binary that fails to start
                  up on standard OS X systems.

                  --Benji Fisher
                • Rain Dog
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
                    On Monday, June 2, 2003, at 06:16 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

                    > Rain Dog wrote:
                    >> Patrick Curtain wrote:
                    >>> Any reason we don't compile with python support?
                    >> it appears that Apple neglected to ship a libpython library.
                    >
                    > Is libpython required at run-time or only at link-time? I could
                    > install python from Fink, but I do not want to distribute a binary
                    > that fails to start up on standard OS X systems.

                    It's statically linked, so that should work. Just make sure you build
                    a version of libpython.a that's compatible with the runtime files (see
                    /usr/lib/python2.2/) that ship with OSX. I think OSX's Python is v2.2,
                    and Fink's is v2.2.2, which I guess is OK.

                    Peter