Re: Patch for new document icons

  • Keith Hubbard
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 23, 2008
      On Dec 23, 2008, at 1:13 PM, björn wrote:
      > Thanks Keith, that seems to work fine. One question though: why did
      > you remove the part which restored the MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET
      > variable? If later on some other build stage is added after the "make
      > icons script" it might be built for the wrong os version...(?)

      No need, I was just simplifying... each Run Script build phase runs
      in a separate shell, so changes to the environment don't affect
      anything once the script ends. (See the note at the beginning of
      the Run Script Build Phase docs: http://tinyurl.com/8tezsv.)

      Keith

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 23, 2008
        2008/12/23 Keith Hubbard <keith.hubbard@...>:

        > On Dec 23, 2008, at 1:13 PM, björn wrote:
        >> Thanks Keith, that seems to work fine. One question though: why did
        >> you remove the part which restored the MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET
        >> variable? If later on some other build stage is added after the "make
        >> icons script" it might be built for the wrong os version...(?)
        >
        > No need, I was just simplifying... each Run Script build phase runs
        > in a separate shell, so changes to the environment don't affect
        > anything once the script ends. (See the note at the beginning of
        > the Run Script Build Phase docs: http://tinyurl.com/8tezsv.)

        Ah! Thanks for that piece of information (I'm too lazy to read all
        that Xcode documentation!).

        Will merge and push this stuff soon.

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 23, 2008
          2008/12/23 Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...>:

          >> P.S. The edges of the 16x16 icons look fuzzy when displayed as proxy
          >> icons in the windows title...I think there is an alternative "empty
          >> document" icon which has sharper edges. (?)
          >
          > don't worry about that. As soon as this is checked in, I'll send you a
          > patch with a much improved document icon generation script that
          > produces sharp 16x16 document icons and readable text in 32x32.

          Great! I've checked everything in now so please try it out and send
          me a patch when its ready.

          Thanks,

        • Nico Weber
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 24, 2008
            >> don't worry about that. As soon as this is checked in, I'll send
            >> you a
            >> patch with a much improved document icon generation script that
            >> produces sharp 16x16 document icons and readable text in 32x32.
            >
            > Great! I've checked everything in now so please try it out and send
            > me a patch when its ready.

            The attached patch re-renders the text at each size, and even makes
            icon generation a bit faster.

            I will do some more tweaks to this (and clean up the code), but the
            attached version can be merged: It produces better-looking icons and
            it is faster.

            Nico

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 24, 2008
              2008/12/24 Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...>:

              > The attached patch re-renders the text at each size, and even makes
              > icon generation a bit faster.
              >
              > I will do some more tweaks to this (and clean up the code), but the
              > attached version can be merged: It produces better-looking icons and
              > it is faster.

              Nice! One small thing before I'd merge this though: it generates
              temporary files and leaves them in the app bundle. Can you make sure
              the script deletes these when done?

              Thanks,

            • Nico Weber
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 24, 2008
                >> The attached patch re-renders the text at each size, and even makes
                >> icon generation a bit faster.
                >>
                >> I will do some more tweaks to this (and clean up the code), but the
                >> attached version can be merged: It produces better-looking icons and
                >> it is faster.
                >
                > Nice! One small thing before I'd merge this though: it generates
                > temporary files and leaves them in the app bundle. Can you make sure
                > the script deletes these when done?

                Duh.