Re: Patch for new document icons

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 23, 2008
      2008/12/22 Keith Hubbard <keith.hubbard@...>:
      > On Dec 22, 2008, at 3:51 PM, björn wrote:
      >>
      >> When you say "no icons were made" you mean that it just created the
      >> MacVim-generic.icns with lots of symlinks to it, or did something else
      >> entirely happen?
      >
      > It made the MacVim-generic.icns icon with lots of symlinks. I
      > didn't realize the generic icon was made and not just checked in.

      Ok, good to know that it works as it is supposed to.

      >> I'm aware of this shortcoming -- I don't know how to automatically
      >> remove the icons on "xcodebuild clean". Does anybody else know?
      >
      > I've never had any luck getting Xcode to run script phases when
      > cleaning. The only option I know of is to put all the generated
      > files into Xcode's build directories -- those do get wiped.
      >
      > I've attached a patch which builds the icons directly into the
      > Resources directory instead of copying them in if you like the idea.

      Thanks Keith, that seems to work fine. One question though: why did
      you remove the part which restored the MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET
      variable? If later on some other build stage is added after the "make
      icons script" it might be built for the wrong os version...(?)

    • Keith Hubbard
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 23, 2008
        On Dec 23, 2008, at 1:13 PM, björn wrote:
        > Thanks Keith, that seems to work fine. One question though: why did
        > you remove the part which restored the MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET
        > variable? If later on some other build stage is added after the "make
        > icons script" it might be built for the wrong os version...(?)

        No need, I was just simplifying... each Run Script build phase runs
        in a separate shell, so changes to the environment don't affect
        anything once the script ends. (See the note at the beginning of
        the Run Script Build Phase docs: http://tinyurl.com/8tezsv.)

        Keith

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 23, 2008
          2008/12/23 Keith Hubbard <keith.hubbard@...>:

          > On Dec 23, 2008, at 1:13 PM, björn wrote:
          >> Thanks Keith, that seems to work fine. One question though: why did
          >> you remove the part which restored the MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET
          >> variable? If later on some other build stage is added after the "make
          >> icons script" it might be built for the wrong os version...(?)
          >
          > No need, I was just simplifying... each Run Script build phase runs
          > in a separate shell, so changes to the environment don't affect
          > anything once the script ends. (See the note at the beginning of
          > the Run Script Build Phase docs: http://tinyurl.com/8tezsv.)

          Ah! Thanks for that piece of information (I'm too lazy to read all
          that Xcode documentation!).

          Will merge and push this stuff soon.

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 23, 2008
            2008/12/23 Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...>:

            >> P.S. The edges of the 16x16 icons look fuzzy when displayed as proxy
            >> icons in the windows title...I think there is an alternative "empty
            >> document" icon which has sharper edges. (?)
            >
            > don't worry about that. As soon as this is checked in, I'll send you a
            > patch with a much improved document icon generation script that
            > produces sharp 16x16 document icons and readable text in 32x32.

            Great! I've checked everything in now so please try it out and send
            me a patch when its ready.

            Thanks,

          • Nico Weber
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 24, 2008
              >> don't worry about that. As soon as this is checked in, I'll send
              >> you a
              >> patch with a much improved document icon generation script that
              >> produces sharp 16x16 document icons and readable text in 32x32.
              >
              > Great! I've checked everything in now so please try it out and send
              > me a patch when its ready.

              The attached patch re-renders the text at each size, and even makes
              icon generation a bit faster.

              I will do some more tweaks to this (and clean up the code), but the
              attached version can be merged: It produces better-looking icons and
              it is faster.

              Nico

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 24, 2008
                2008/12/24 Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...>:

                > The attached patch re-renders the text at each size, and even makes
                > icon generation a bit faster.
                >
                > I will do some more tweaks to this (and clean up the code), but the
                > attached version can be merged: It produces better-looking icons and
                > it is faster.

                Nice! One small thing before I'd merge this though: it generates
                temporary files and leaves them in the app bundle. Can you make sure
                the script deletes these when done?

                Thanks,

              • Nico Weber
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 24, 2008
                  >> The attached patch re-renders the text at each size, and even makes
                  >> icon generation a bit faster.
                  >>
                  >> I will do some more tweaks to this (and clean up the code), but the
                  >> attached version can be merged: It produces better-looking icons and
                  >> it is faster.
                  >
                  > Nice! One small thing before I'd merge this though: it generates
                  > temporary files and leaves them in the app bundle. Can you make sure
                  > the script deletes these when done?

                  Duh.