  • Marty Brandon
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 20, 2008
      I really appreciate the work that has been done on MacVim. It's
      terrific!

      I've recently found what I think is a minor bug. Normally, I would
      try to save views on a file automatically with these lines in
      my .vimrc:

      au BufWinLeave *.* mkview
      au BufRead *.* loadview

      This works fine running the Vim executable inside Terminal. However,
      when mvim is used to open a file, any folds stored in the view
      definition file are not displayed. Moreover, inspecting the view
      definition file shows that the fold definitions have been stripped
      out. The stripping occurs as the data file is read. I confirmed this
      by grepping the view definition file at each stage (opening, closing,
      etc.).

      Managing the views manually works as expected. The steps 'open a
      file, create a fold, :mkview, close, reopen, :loadview' work fine in
      the Terminal or in the GUI or mixing between the two. Only when the
      GUI tries to read a view definition automatically does the behavior
      occur.

      Didn't know where else to document this behavior.

      Marty

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 11, 2009
        Hi Marty,

        2008/12/20 Marty Brandon:

        > I really appreciate the work that has been done on MacVim. It's
        > terrific!
        >
        > I've recently found what I think is a minor bug. Normally, I would
        > try to save views on a file automatically with these lines in
        > my .vimrc:
        >
        > au BufWinLeave *.* mkview
        > au BufRead *.* loadview
        >
        > This works fine running the Vim executable inside Terminal. However,
        > when mvim is used to open a file, any folds stored in the view
        > definition file are not displayed. Moreover, inspecting the view
        > definition file shows that the fold definitions have been stripped
        > out. The stripping occurs as the data file is read. I confirmed this
        > by grepping the view definition file at each stage (opening, closing,
        > etc.).
        >
        > Managing the views manually works as expected. The steps 'open a
        > file, create a fold, :mkview, close, reopen, :loadview' work fine in
        > the Terminal or in the GUI or mixing between the two. Only when the
        > GUI tries to read a view definition automatically does the behavior
        > occur.

        It seems I forgot to reply to this message...sorry about that.
        Anyway, I don't understand what the problem is (and from the lack of
        replies I guess I'm not the only one). Can you provide a minimal set
        of step-by-step instructions of what it is you are doing, what the
        expected outcome is, as well as what the actual outcome is?