Re: Feature request - visual 'textwidht' margin

  • Christoffer Klang
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 16, 2008
      Ben -- Thanks, lots of good tips there! I still find it a bit annoying
      that it's only a highlight on the characters that are close to, or
      over, the 80th column. I feel that that communicates a warning or
      error, rather than a guide, for where a good place to end the line is.
      Maybe I'm not making sense to anyone else?

      Björn -- The reason that I posted it in this forum instead was that I
      was thinking about a thin, one pixel line, rather than a column of ' |
      ' characters. But I think that you are right; it would make sense to
      have the feature available everywhere. Although I feel that a one
      pixel line is much nicer than a blocky column of characters ;)

      Anyway, thank you for your replies. I'll look into the vim source and
      see if I can make any sense out of it and post an update if i decide
      to fix anything.

      /Christoffer

      On Dec 15, 8:25 am, "björn" <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
      > Hi Christoffer,
      >
      > 2008/12/15 Christoffer Klang <christoffer.kl...@...>:
      >

      > > Sorry if this is at all an inappropriate way to submit feature
      > > requests. Please correct me if it is.
      >
      > No, this is an appropriate place to make feature requests.
      >
      > > I was wondering if it would be a lot of work to implement a vertical
      > > line that shows up at a certain column (usually  the 80th)? I'm
      > > talking about a feature that is often called 'visual print margin' in
      > > other editors.
      >
      > This seems like a feature which should be implemented in core Vim
      > since it could be used on other platforms as well.  You'd be better of
      > requesting something like this in core Vim in which case vim_dev is
      > the suitable list.  I don't know what kind of response you'd get there
      > though...you'd probably be better off implementing it yourself (and
      > core Vim is C only, so no need to know Cocoa).  Of course, the best
      > solution would be to write a plugin to take care of it...(maybe the
      > link Ben provided will be of use).
      >
      > Björn
    • kimo
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 17, 2008
        I like the way TextWrangler does this since it's more subtle than a
        line - the editor background is white and becomes gray after 80
        characters. The feature is under Preferences->Text Status Display-

        On Dec 16, 2:08 pm, Christoffer Klang <christoffer.kl...@...>
        wrote:
        > Ben -- Thanks, lots of good tips there! I still find it a bit annoying
        > that it's only a highlight on the characters that are close to, or
        > over, the 80th column. I feel that that communicates a warning or
        > error, rather than a guide, for where a good place to end the line is.
        > Maybe I'm not making sense to anyone else?
        >
        > Björn -- The reason that I posted it in this forum instead was that I
        > was thinking about a thin, one pixel line, rather than a column of ' |
        > ' characters. But I think that you are right; it would make sense to
        > have the feature available everywhere. Although I feel that a one
        > pixel line is much nicer than a blocky column of characters ;)
        >
        > Anyway, thank you for your replies. I'll look into the vim source and
        > see if I can make any sense out of it and post an update if i decide
        > to fix anything.
        >
        > /Christoffer
        >
        > On Dec 15, 8:25 am, "björn" <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Hi Christoffer,
        >
        > > 2008/12/15 Christoffer Klang <christoffer.kl...@...>:
        >
        > > > Sorry if this is at all an inappropriate way to submit feature
        > > > requests. Please correct me if it is.
        >
        > > No, this is an appropriate place to make feature requests.
        >
        > > > I was wondering if it would be a lot of work to implement a vertical
        > > > line that shows up at a certain column (usually  the 80th)? I'm
        > > > talking about a feature that is often called 'visual print margin' in
        > > > other editors.
        >
        > > This seems like a feature which should be implemented in core Vim
        > > since it could be used on other platforms as well.  You'd be better of
        > > requesting something like this in core Vim in which case vim_dev is
        > > the suitable list.  I don't know what kind of response you'd get there
        > > though...you'd probably be better off implementing it yourself (and
        > > core Vim is C only, so no need to know Cocoa).  Of course, the best
        > > solution would be to write a plugin to take care of it...(maybe the
        > > link Ben provided will be of use).
        >
        > > Björn
      • Nico Weber
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 17, 2008
          > Björn -- The reason that I posted it in this forum instead was that I
          > was thinking about a thin, one pixel line, rather than a column of ' |
          > ' characters. But I think that you are right; it would make sense to
          > have the feature available everywhere. Although I feel that a one
          > pixel line is much nicer than a blocky column of characters ;)
          >
          > Anyway, thank you for your replies. I'll look into the vim source and
          > see if I can make any sense out of it and post an update if i decide
          > to fix anything.

          You can "only" support all gvims. I believe there already is a
          draw_line() function that vim uses to draw the spell checking
          squiggles, you probably can just call that (make sure to test with
          multiple split windows, and with wrapping lines).

          Nico
        • Jean-Marie Gaillourdet
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 30, 2008
            Hi list,

            On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 10:24:58PM -0800, Christoffer Klang wrote:
            > Sorry if this is at all an inappropriate way to submit feature
            > requests. Please correct me if it is.
            >
            > I was wondering if it would be a lot of work to implement a vertical
            > line that shows up at a certain column (usually the 80th)? I'm
            > talking about a feature that is often called 'visual print margin' in
            > other editors.
            >
            > I find this visual cue to be very helpful when programming to avoid
            > having too wide lines, and would love to have it in Macvim. I know
            > that I can keep my eye on the current column in the statusbar, and the
            > trick to highlight the 81th char using search, but I feel that both of
            > these ways take away my focus and interrupts the workflow. The same is
            > definitely true for setting :tw=80 and letting the text wrap
            > automatically.
            IntelliJ Idea does provide such a line and I liked it very much, too.
            But I'd like to extend that feature request even more: IntelliJ uses
            such thin *horizontal* lines to separate methods in Java source. And
            that is IMHO a real killer feature as it helps to spot the building
            blocks immediately. I'd love to see such lines vim/gvim/macvim.

            If someone could point me into the right direction I'd be willing to
            implement it myself. Though I have never looked into the source of Vim
            so far.

            Best regards,
            Jean

          • Panos
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
              A line with a darkening background after the 80th char is a nice
              visual cue. It would be nice to have.

              +1 from moi :)