Re: tweaking the size of the tabs

  • Matt Tolton
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 9, 2008
      > Yes, it does seem to make more sense to have the tab labels truncate
      > from the left instead of on the right. Does anybody else care to
      > weigh in on this? I'll have to try it out myself for a bit to see if
      > left truncation is better than right truncation before I'd merge this
      > change.

      I agree that it makes more sense.

    • Sergio Acosta
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 9, 2008
        On Dec 9, 2008, at 1:55 PM, björn wrote:
        > Yes, it does seem to make more sense to have the tab labels truncate
        > from the left instead of on the right. Does anybody else care to
        > weigh in on this? I'll have to try it out myself for a bit to see if
        > left truncation is better than right truncation before I'd merge this
        > change.

        I also vote for the right truncation on the tab text.

        I know this is not a one size fits all solution, but I find myself
        editing files from the same directory more often than files from many
        different paths, and being able to see the filename or part of it
        would be more useful in my case.

      • scasware
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 9, 2008
          On Dec 9, 3:39 pm, Sergio Acosta <sergio.aco...@...> wrote:
          > I also vote for the right truncation on the tab text.

          Sorry, I meant *left* truncation. I would like to keep the right side
          of the path/filename visible.
        • Jonathon Mah
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 9, 2008
            On 2008-12-10, at 06:25, björn wrote:

            > Yes, it does seem to make more sense to have the tab labels truncate
            > from the left instead of on the right. Does anybody else care to
            > weigh in on this?

            Perhaps we need to make this a bit more complicated. It makes sense to
            truncate the left side of the path, but the start of the filename is
            generally the most important part. As a bit of a contrived example,
            consider two files open in the same directory (so no path bits are
            shown). With right-truncation of the filename, you'd see:

            employees_contr... | payroll_controll...

            But with left truncation, you'd likely see:

            ...s_controller.rb | ...ll_controller.rb

            So I think it might need some more smarts.

            Jonathon Mah
            me@...

          • Sergio Acosta
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 9, 2008
              On Dec 9, 2008, at 7:11 PM, Jonathon Mah wrote:

              > Perhaps we need to make this a bit more complicated. It makes sense to
              > truncate the left side of the path, but the start of the filename is
              > generally the most important part. As a bit of a contrived example,
              > consider two files open in the same directory (so no path bits are
              > shown). With right-truncation of the filename, you'd see:
              >
              > employees_contr... | payroll_controll...
              >
              > But with left truncation, you'd likely see:
              >
              > ...s_controller.rb | ...ll_controller.rb
              >
              > So I think it might need some more smarts.

              Consider how other editors handle tabs:

              Both TextMate, BBEdit (and even Microsoft Visual Studio) always show
              the full filename on the tab, no truncation, but also no directory
              components.

              That means:

              - You cannot see the path until you hover the mouse over the tab, and
              a tooltip is shown with the full file path.
              - The tab sizes are different for each tab, and they depend on the
              file name lenght, so the implementation could turn more complicated.

              I had never noticed how other programs did it, but now that I saw it,
              it seems a good solution. I wouldn't mind seeing only the filename and
              not the path on the tab.

              my 2 cents.

              sergio

            • Matt Tolton
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 10, 2008
                Actually I retract my vote for this. I just realized that I have my
                tab labels set to only show the filename. I don't think I'd be happy
                about seeing the end of the filename, rather than the beginning.
                Oops. :)

                On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 11:18 PM, Sergio Acosta <sergio.acosta@...> wrote:

                > On Dec 9, 2008, at 7:11 PM, Jonathon Mah wrote:
                >
                >> Perhaps we need to make this a bit more complicated. It makes sense to
                >> truncate the left side of the path, but the start of the filename is
                >> generally the most important part. As a bit of a contrived example,
                >> consider two files open in the same directory (so no path bits are
                >> shown). With right-truncation of the filename, you'd see:
                >>
                >> employees_contr... | payroll_controll...
                >>
                >> But with left truncation, you'd likely see:
                >>
                >> ...s_controller.rb | ...ll_controller.rb
                >>
                >> So I think it might need some more smarts.
                >
                > Consider how other editors handle tabs:
                >
                > Both TextMate, BBEdit (and even Microsoft Visual Studio) always show
                > the full filename on the tab, no truncation, but also no directory
                > components.
                >
                > That means:
                >
                > - You cannot see the path until you hover the mouse over the tab, and
                > a tooltip is shown with the full file path.
                > - The tab sizes are different for each tab, and they depend on the
                > file name lenght, so the implementation could turn more complicated.
                >
                > I had never noticed how other programs did it, but now that I saw it,
                > it seems a good solution. I wouldn't mind seeing only the filename and
                > not the path on the tab.
                >
                > my 2 cents.
                >
                > sergio

              • Jonathon Mah
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 11, 2008
                  On 2008-12-10, at 17:48, Sergio Acosta wrote:

                  > I had never noticed how other programs did it, but now that I saw it,
                  > it seems a good solution. I wouldn't mind seeing only the filename and
                  > not the path on the tab.

                  Seems reasonable. You motivated me enough to add support for
                  guitabtooltip, so this is possible. (Patch is attached.) With this
                  support, the following config will get what you described:

                  set guitablabel=%t
                  set guitabtooltip=%F

                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 11, 2008
                    2008/12/11 Jonathon Mah <me@...>:
                    > On 2008-12-10, at 17:48, Sergio Acosta wrote:
                    >
                    >> I had never noticed how other programs did it, but now that I saw it,
                    >> it seems a good solution. I wouldn't mind seeing only the filename and
                    >> not the path on the tab.
                    >
                    > Seems reasonable. You motivated me enough to add support for
                    > guitabtooltip, so this is possible. (Patch is attached.)

                    Thanks for the patch Jonathon. I started looking at it and ended up
                    cleaning it up a little bit:

                    1. I had done some dubious coding with the conversion to utf8 in that
                    I did not update the string size (or length) variable after conversion
                    (and obviously the byte size may change after conversion) so I changed
                    things around a bit (in MMBackend.m).

                    2. I moved the tooltips from being stored inside a dictionary into the
                    PSMTabBarCell class since it seemed cleaner.

                    Finally, after playing around with it I noticed that with this patch
                    the tooltips will always show -- even if the tooltip and tab label are
                    identical and the label fits inside the tab. (Before the patch a
                    tooltip would only appear if the tab was truncated [of course, there
                    was no support for 'guitabtooltip' then].) I find this a bit
                    annoying. Assuming you agree with me; do you think you can fix this?
                    (I guess you have to check if the tooltip and label are identical and
                    whether the label fits of not...which seems a bit contrived, but...)

                    Thanks,

                  • Jonathon Mah
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 30, 2008
                      Hi Björn,

                      Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

                      On 2008-12-12, at 06:45, björn wrote:

                      > 2. I moved the tooltips from being stored inside a dictionary into the
                      > PSMTabBarCell class since it seemed cleaner.

                      Yes, this is definitely better, and is what I should have done to
                      start with.

                      > Finally, after playing around with it I noticed that with this patch
                      > the tooltips will always show -- even if the tooltip and tab label are
                      > identical and the label fits inside the tab. (Before the patch a
                      > tooltip would only appear if the tab was truncated [of course, there
                      > was no support for 'guitabtooltip' then].) I find this a bit
                      > annoying. Assuming you agree with me; do you think you can fix this?

                      I don't think I agree here, but I would like to get some other
                      opinions. Personally, I think I could tell that a tab's label and
                      tooltip were the same quicker if they both appeared, instead of
                      needing to wait an extra second or two to be sure that the tooltip
                      wasn't going to show.

                      If you disagree, it's a simple matter of reusing code from
                      0229279b694dd8aff738642dd5ab8739577102b8.

                      Jonathon Mah
                      me@...

                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 30, 2008
                        2008/12/30 Jonathon Mah <me@...>:
                        >> Finally, after playing around with it I noticed that with this patch
                        >> the tooltips will always show -- even if the tooltip and tab label are
                        >> identical and the label fits inside the tab. (Before the patch a
                        >> tooltip would only appear if the tab was truncated [of course, there
                        >> was no support for 'guitabtooltip' then].) I find this a bit
                        >> annoying. Assuming you agree with me; do you think you can fix this?
                        >
                        > I don't think I agree here, but I would like to get some other
                        > opinions. Personally, I think I could tell that a tab's label and
                        > tooltip were the same quicker if they both appeared, instead of
                        > needing to wait an extra second or two to be sure that the tooltip
                        > wasn't going to show.

                        Yes, that makes sense. Lets just keep it the way it is.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 4, 2009
                          2008/12/9 Erick Tryzelaar <erick.tryzelaar@...>:
                          > On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 11:55 AM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
                          >>> First, I don't need the tab button so I disabled it.
                          >>
                          >> Ok, but I don't really see the need to have it disabled by default
                          >> since it hides itself when the tabline is filled up anyway. If
                          >> anybody else disagrees with me, then please speak up (it would be easy
                          >> enough to add a user default to disable this button if some people
                          >> prefer not to have this button).
                          >
                          > Oh sure, it was just something I wanted myself, I don't expect you you
                          > actually integrate this patch, it was more just to demonstrate the
                          > kind of functionality I was looking for. Having it be a user default
                          > would be exactly what I'd be looking for.

                          I have added a user default (MMShowAddTabButton) so that you can
                          toggle the "add tab" button. To disable it, enter the following
                          command in Terminal (it's not in snap 40 though, so you'd have to
                          build your own binary first):

                          defaults write org.vim.MacVim MMShowAddTabButton 0

                        • Fredrik Bränström
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 9, 2009
                            That doesn't work over here. OS X 10.5.6, MacVim s40. Tried both 0 and
                            false.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 9, 2009
                              2009/1/10 Fredrik Bränström <branstrom@...>:

                              > That doesn't work over here. OS X 10.5.6, MacVim s40. Tried both 0 and
                              > false.

                              You missed this part of my post:

                              >> (it's not in snap 40 though, so you'd have to
                              >> build your own binary first):

                              It will be included in snapshot 41.