Re: Anybody tried the new Macbook/MBP?

  • Jonathon Mah
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2008
      On 2008-12-02, at 16:11, Rick wrote:

      > (Now that I've found Pathfinder my only beef with the Mac OS is 1)
      > I can't stand how many applications, including some Mac specfic
      > ones, like Safari will not maximize to full screen when the maximize
      > button is hit

      (I don't understand why so many people like to maximize windows. The
      message part of my Mail window is 400 pixels wide, and my compose
      window is about the same. Most websites with hard-widths have them set
      at 700-800 pixels, and fluid-width pages are terrible to read at much
      greater. It's impossible to visually scan wide text. So why waste 55%
      of my display on a web page's background? (I'm on 1440x900.))

      > 2) It's silly that you can only drag one corner to resize windows.
      > (Finder also sucked the big one compared to linux file managers, but
      > pathfinder makes up for it.)

      (I use <http://www.atomicbird.com/mondomouse>, there are others.)

      Jonathon Mah
      me@...

    • Rick
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008

        On 2008-12-02, at 16:11, Rick wrote:

        (I don't understand why so many people like to maximize windows. The
        message part of my Mail window is 400 pixels wide, and my compose
        window is about the same. Most websites with hard-widths have them set
        at 700-800 pixels, and fluid-width pages are terrible to read at much
        greater. It's impossible to visually scan wide text. So why waste 55%
        of my display on a web page's background? (I'm on 1440x900.))

        Plenty of web sites "DO" take advantage of the extra real estate. Also, you might have a side bar or bottom bar in firefox which takes up more width.

        My question would be 'What good is the unused real-estate?' Not only does it look stupid having some background app showing off to the side, what good does it do not maximized? I don't think people use that extra app showing off to the side to click on it to get back to where they were (That's just a silly way to manage apps, since if you want to get back to the browser, you won't get back to it by following the same practice, so why try to get to the app 'behind' your browser by clicking off to the side. The point is the shrunk space is just wasted.). I could see if you wanted two windows open and you were doing work in one while looking at the other, but typically a 3/4 opened safari or web browser simply does nothing for you. You're just stuck with looking at 'junk' sticl off in the unused space.

        I can see you occasionally wanting that extra 45% space (I use it sometimes like I said when I need to view windows side by side), but that unused space shouldn't be the 'norm' to display- or at least have maximize default to really maximizing then everyone gets what they want. (Yes I know about the javascript resize for browsers and I use that bookmarklet.)

      • David Morel
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
          Le 2 déc. 08 à 06:55, Jonathon Mah a écrit :

          > On 2008-12-02, at 16:11, Rick wrote:
          >
          >> (Now that I've found Pathfinder my only beef with the Mac OS is 1)
          >> I can't stand how many applications, including some Mac specfic
          >> ones, like Safari will not maximize to full screen when the maximize
          >> button is hit
          >
          > (I don't understand why so many people like to maximize windows. The
          > message part of my Mail window is 400 pixels wide, and my compose
          > window is about the same. Most websites with hard-widths have them set
          > at 700-800 pixels, and fluid-width pages are terrible to read at much
          > greater. It's impossible to visually scan wide text. So why waste 55%
          > of my display on a web page's background? (I'm on 1440x900.))

          simply because people don't use their display the way you do doesn't
          mean there is no other way. I don't switch between applications the way
          my wife does, but I quit trying to tell her the Best Way(r) because it
          just doesn't work. I just try not to look at the screen while she uses
          the mouse :-) And judging people's efficiency and productivity based on
          assumptions gives you the same results as for optimizing software
          without
          benchmarking first: crap.

          David
        • Brian Wolven
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
            On Dec 2, 12:41 am, Rick <ric...@...> wrote:
            > On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 1:59 PM, 703designs <thomasmal...@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I really wish that Apple gave us more choice in this respect...I may
            > > end up running Linux on a ThinkPad (T) plus Windows virtualized for PS
            > > and Illustrator. But I hate to have to leave Mac OS, and one killer
            > > feature for Macs is font support.
            >
            > I've tried numerous times to stick to using Linux and always wind up feeling
            > so much better when I switch back to OSX. Something just feels right when
            > using my Mac. I can't even always put my finger on it, since I typically
            > manage to get most things working how I like using Ubuntu or SuSE, it's just
            > never the same though as how things 'feel' when using my mbp. OSX with
            > Pathfinder installed (a must have finder replacement if you ask mehttp://cocoatech.com/)
            > is the closest thing to a perfect OS. (Now that I've
            > found Pathfinder my only beef with the Mac OS is  1) I can't stand how many
            > applications, including some Mac specfic ones, like Safari will not maximize
            > to full screen when the maximize button is hit and 2) It's silly that you
            > can only drag one corner to resize windows. (Finder also sucked the big one
            > compared to linux file managers, but pathfinder makes up for it.)

            I also use MondoMouse for resizing (and moving) windows from any
            corner. For maximizing I just use an applescript and bind it to a
            hotkey. Most apps play nice with that approach - although I haven't
            got an intelligent approach for handling multiple monitors as of yet
            (i.e., maximize only to the monitor the window is on...).

          • Tobia Conforto
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
              Brian Wolven wrote:
              > I also use MondoMouse for resizing (and moving) windows from any
              > corner. For maximizing I just use an applescript and bind it to a
              > hotkey. Most apps play nice with that approach - although I haven't
              > got an intelligent approach for handling multiple monitors as of yet
              > (i.e., maximize only to the monitor the window is on...)

              While we're on a OT thread :-) does anybody know a way to send the
              current window to the back? Meaning behind all other windows. It's
              the opposite of clicking on it, which will bring it to the front.

              Some modifier + mouse click would be best, but a hotkey will do as well.

              Tobia

            • Zeba
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 3, 2008
                For resizing you can also use Afloat (http://www.macupdate.com/
                info.php/id/22237/afloat), which is even free.

                On Dec 2, 4:20 pm, Brian Wolven <brian.wol...@...> wrote:
                > On Dec 2, 12:41 am, Rick <ric...@...> wrote:
                >

                > > On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 1:59 PM, 703designs <thomasmal...@...> wrote:
                >
                > > > I really wish that Apple gave us more choice in this respect...I may
                > > > end up running Linux on a ThinkPad (T) plus Windows virtualized for PS
                > > > and Illustrator. But I hate to have to leave Mac OS, and one killer
                > > > feature for Macs is font support.
                >
                > > I've tried numerous times to stick to using Linux and always wind up feeling
                > > so much better when I switch back to OSX. Something just feels right when
                > > using my Mac. I can't even always put my finger on it, since I typically
                > > manage to get most things working how I like using Ubuntu or SuSE, it's just
                > > never the same though as how things 'feel' when using my mbp. OSX with
                > > Pathfinder installed (a must have finder replacement if you ask mehttp://cocoatech.com/)
                > > is the closest thing to a perfect OS. (Now that I've
                > > found Pathfinder my only beef with the Mac OS is  1) I can't stand how many
                > > applications, including some Mac specfic ones, like Safari will not maximize
                > > to full screen when the maximize button is hit and 2) It's silly that you
                > > can only drag one corner to resize windows. (Finder also sucked the big one
                > > compared to linux file managers, but pathfinder makes up for it.)
                >
                > I also use MondoMouse for resizing (and moving) windows from any
                > corner.  For maximizing I just use an applescript and bind it to a
                > hotkey. Most apps play nice with that approach - although I haven't
                > got an intelligent approach for handling multiple monitors as of yet
                > (i.e., maximize only to the monitor the window is on...).
              • 703designs
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 4, 2008
                  Never looked into it. Apple + ` is pretty close though.

                  Thomas