Re: On the integration of MacVim/vim-cocoa with core vim tree

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2008
      2008/11/29 Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...>:

      > OK, so we keep the Carbon code, but stop working on it. If someone
      > finds a problem, we'll ask him to try the Cocoa code. If he is on OS
      > 10.2 or 10.3 that won't be possible. I guess we are assuming there are
      > few people in this situation.

      I don't think anybody wants to work on the Carbon code, so this sound
      good to me. It will never be possible to build MacVim.app on 10.3 or
      earlier so I also agree that we need to keep it around.

      > This would also mean I remove Mac items from the todo list. Perhaps
      > moving to the Mac help files as "known problems".

      Which Mac help files though? os_mac.txt? That would be the natural
      candidate since it at the moment only contains things relating to the
      Carbon version. I created gui_mac.txt for all the MacVim.app related
      help (this file does not exist in the Carbon version).

      > Trying to include the Cocoa code into the main code every one or two
      > weeks looks pointless. I don't see what we gain with this. It's just
      > extra work.
      >
      > So, following this line of thought it would be better to keep the MacVim
      > and vim-cocoa available separatly. We can tell people where to download
      > it. I don't need to "bless" changes in that code, so it also saves me
      > time.

      I agree. I know I have advocated a "merge" in the past, but at this
      point in time I don't see any gain (only the obstacles you mentioned
      Bram).

      > A potential problem for this method is that I make changes in the main
      > code that make it difficult to merge back with the Mac version. It's
      > potential, because I haven't heard of such a problem happening yet. And
      > the two parts of the source code are nearly completely separate. Only
      > when I change the interface between the core and the various GUI
      > implementations there could be a problem. This will happen infrequently
      > and most likely will not be much work (e.g., changing tab page labels).

      During MacVim's entire lifetime I have never had any such problems so
      I am not too worried about this. Of course when something like this
      eventually _does_ happen I'll surely be taken entirely be surprise
      (but I can deal with it then)... ;-)