Document Icons

    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 30, 2008
      Nico, I had a look at the document icon script and have some comments:

      I had two problems getting the script to work (mostly my fault, but anyway):

      1. If the vim-noshadow-512.png file is missing the following is logged

      Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "make_icons.py", line 159, in <module>
      main()
      File "make_icons.py", line 148, in main
      createIcon(TMPFILE, NSString.stringWithString_(text))
      File "make_icons.py", line 108, in createIcon
      icon.drawInRect_fromRect_operation_fraction_(
      AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute
      'drawInRect_fromRect_operation_fraction_'

      ...it would probably be nicer with a "File missing" warning. It took
      me a while to figure out what the problem was (despite you having
      stated this clearly in your post...yes, I can be a bit slow). ;-)

      2. The "LucidaSans-Demi" does not exist on my system. Again, if the
      font is missing you get an unhelpful message:

      2008-11-30 16:03:35.751 Python[615:613] *** -[NSNull
      screenFontWithRenderingMode:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance
      0xa0018020
      Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "make_icons.py", line 159, in <module>
      main()
      File "make_icons.py", line 148, in main
      createIcon(TMPFILE, NSString.stringWithString_(text))
      File "make_icons.py", line 111, in createIcon
      text.drawInRect_withAttributes_( ((0.5, 23.5), (511, 120)), attribs)
      ValueError: NSInvalidArgumentException - *** -[NSNull
      screenFontWithRenderingMode:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance
      0xa0018020

      I tried using "LucidaGrande" instead (the only Lucida variant on my
      system) and then everything works. Is there a big difference between
      these two fonts?

      When I saw this line

      BACKGROUND = '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/' + \
      'Contents/Resources/GenericDocumentIcon.icns' # might require leopard?

      I started up Tiger -- that icon does exist on Tiger as well...so no
      problems there.

      Anyway, all in all my concern is that there may be more problems
      lurking and I worry that adding the icon making a separate build step
      would cause problems when trying to build MacVim. We should be able
      to iron out these problems but before I add this to the repo I think
      we need to ensure that it will build on a "clean" Tiger/Leopard
      install. It might be sufficient for me to just make a patch and send
      it out asking people to try it out before I merge.

      Finally, I really think we need to do something about the smaller
      sized icons: they are completely illegible. I have attached the icon
      for ".h" files to illustrate this point. This is the simplest icon
      but even it is impossible to make out what it is supposed to be (even
      at 32x32). I'm not sure exactly what to do about this, but one
      suggestion is to make the file extension text cover the entire
      document at 32x32 and lower. The MacVim icon could perhaps be toned
      down or, in the case of 16x16, completely removed?

      The problem with smaller icons is particularly important since they
      are often the icons you see in Finder (at least if you use list/column
      view in Finder) and since they are also displayed as proxy icons.

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 30, 2008

        On 30.11.2008, at 07:17, björn wrote:

        > 2. The "LucidaSans-Demi" does not exist on my system. Again, if the
        > font is missing you get an unhelpful message:

        Bummer. The attached version uses Lucida Grande, which is a system
        font. Its font metrics are a bit different, hence I had to change some
        rects, but it looks very similar to Lucida Grande now (modulo the
        digit glyphs, but we don't use those). It also adds some more helpful
        error messages.

        > When I saw this line
        >
        > BACKGROUND = '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/' + \
        > 'Contents/Resources/GenericDocumentIcon.icns' # might require
        > leopard?
        >
        > I started up Tiger -- that icon does exist on Tiger as well...so no
        > problems there.

        But on Tiger it's probably not a 512x512 icon.

        > Finally, I really think we need to do something about the smaller
        > sized icons: they are completely illegible. I have attached the icon
        > for ".h" files to illustrate this point. This is the simplest icon
        > but even it is impossible to make out what it is supposed to be (even
        > at 32x32). I'm not sure exactly what to do about this, but one
        > suggestion is to make the file extension text cover the entire
        > document at 32x32 and lower. The MacVim icon could perhaps be toned
        > down or, in the case of 16x16, completely removed?

        I'm doing some experiments with re-rendering the text for each icon
        size instead of using the downsampled 512 variant, this yields
        readable text at 32x32 (haven't tried with 16x16 yet). But let's get
        the current version merged first.

        Nico

      • Nico Weber
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 30, 2008
          > Bummer. The attached version uses Lucida Grande, which is a system
          > font. Its font metrics are a bit different, hence I had to change some
          > rects, but it looks very similar to Lucida Grande now (modulo the
          > digit glyphs, but we don't use those). It also adds some more helpful
          > error messages.

          This attached version even works if doc-bm-generic.icns does not exist
          when the script is started :-P

        • Nico Weber
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 30, 2008

            > Finally, I really think we need to do something about the smaller
            > sized icons: they are completely illegible.

            I modified my script to re-render the text at sizes 128, 32 and 16.
            The text on the 32x32 variants is pretty legible, the 16x16 text not
            so much. Preview's icons don't have legible extensions at 16x16
            either, though. I tried omitting the "text" on the 16x16 variant and
            instead make the vim icon a bit bigger, but that didn't look much
            better.

            I've attached both an icns that contains rescaled versions of the 512
            variants for 128, 32, and 16, as well as an icns that contains re-
            rendered 512, 128, 32, and 16 variants (double-click the images to
            open them in Preview and look at the different variants there). I'm
            pretty happy with the re-rendered icns.

            Comments?

            Nico

          • Tobia Conforto
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 1, 2008
              björn wrote:
              > Finally, I really think we need to do something about the smaller
              > sized icons: they are completely illegible.

              I believe this is an important point.

              If you look at XCode's documen icons at 16x16 (screenshot below, to
              the left) you will see that you can tell at a glance whether the file
              is .C source code, .H header, or anything else of import. The large
              (relatively to the icon size) and colored text, "C" or "H", helps a lot.

              Larger icons can still use the Preview paradigm (blank paper + app
              icon + type text below) but IMHO the smaller icons should follow what
              XCode does.

              If we want people to be able to tell the files that are associated
              with Vim from those associated with XCode, we can come up with a
              different graphical hint, such as a colored border--this is just the
              first idea that came to my mind:

            • Andrew Long
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 1, 2008
                On 1 Dec 2008, at 11:07, Tobia Conforto wrote:

                > björn wrote:
                >> Finally, I really think we need to do something about the smaller
                >> sized icons: they are completely illegible.
                >
                > I believe this is an important point.

                <snip/>
                > If we want people to be able to tell the files that are associated
                > with Vim from those associated with XCode, we can come up with a
                > different graphical hint, such as a colored border--this is just the
                > first idea that came to my mind:

                I'm not szo sure that it's important. What's important to me is that the
                file is a C source file, or a BASH script, or a SQL script. I can make a
                choice about which application to open them with, once I know what the
                file type IS

                Regards, Andy

                --
                Andrew Long
                andrew dot long at mac dot com

              • Tobia Conforto
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 1, 2008
                  Andrew Long wrote:
                  >> If we want people to be able to tell the files that are associated
                  >> with Vim from those associated with XCode, we can come up with a
                  >> different graphical hint, such as a colored border
                  >
                  > I'm not szo sure that it's important. What's important to me is that
                  > the file is a C source file, or a BASH script, or a SQL script. I
                  > can make a choice about which application to open them with, once I
                  > know what the file type IS

                  Absolutely.
                  Maybe it wasn't clear from my post, butI agree that the file type
                  comes first.
                  XCode-like colors (C is blue, H is red...) help with that.

                  Tobia

                • Nico Weber
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 1, 2008
                    > > Finally, I really think we need to do something about the smaller
                    > > sized icons: they are completely illegible.
                    >
                    > I believe this is an important point.
                    >
                    > If you look at XCode's documen icons at 16x16 (screenshot below, to
                    > the left) you will see that you can tell at a glance whether the file
                    > is .C source code, .H header, or anything else of import.  The large
                    > (relatively to the icon size) and colored text, "C" or "H", helps a lot.

                    I agree XCode's 16x16 icons are nice. The main reason why I didn't try
                    to go with 16x16 icons similar to them is that I couldn't come up with
                    a way to handle longer extensions (e.g. "html").

                    > Larger icons can still use the Preview paradigm (blank paper + app
                    > icon + type text below) but IMHO the smaller icons should follow what
                    > XCode does.

                    It's not just the "Preview paradigm": Lots of other apps do this, too.
                    Examples include Safari, CSSEdit, Instruments, Pages, Keynote,
                    QuickTime Player, iCal, Coda, etc. Some of those programs leave the
                    extension text out in the 16x16 variant and include only the icon
                    (Instruments, CSSEdit).

                    I think the 32x32 variant is still legible, so we're only talking
                    about 16x16 here.

                    XCode's approach works fine with 1-char extensions (h, c), ok with 2-
                    char extensions (mm, rb, ...), not-so-great with three chars (e.g.
                    expfile.icns in the XCode bundle), not-at-all with 4-char extensions
                    (nasmfile.icns).

                    > If we want people to be able to tell the files that are associated
                    > with Vim from those associated with XCode, we can come up with a
                    > different graphical hint, such as a colored border--this is just the
                    > first idea that came to my mind:

                    Perhaps we could also put the green square behind the letters (with a
                    very low contrast). But: It's different from all other apps, and I
                    need a good suggestion how to handle document types with a long
                    extension that don't have an obvious shorter version ("Python" can
                    become "Py" without problems, but what about, say, "html", "xhtml",
                    "dylan", "fscript", "applescript").

                    Nico
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 2, 2008
                      2008/12/1 Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...>:

                      > I think the 32x32 variant is still legible, so we're only talking
                      > about 16x16 here.

                      I like the newer 32x32 icons too...I find it easy to read the "VIM"
                      written on them.

                      > XCode's approach works fine with 1-char extensions (h, c), ok with 2-
                      > char extensions (mm, rb, ...), not-so-great with three chars (e.g.
                      > expfile.icns in the XCode bundle), not-at-all with 4-char extensions
                      > (nasmfile.icns).
                      >
                      >> If we want people to be able to tell the files that are associated
                      >> with Vim from those associated with XCode, we can come up with a
                      >> different graphical hint, such as a colored border--this is just the
                      >> first idea that came to my mind:
                      >
                      > Perhaps we could also put the green square behind the letters (with a
                      > very low contrast). But: It's different from all other apps, and I
                      > need a good suggestion how to handle document types with a long
                      > extension that don't have an obvious shorter version ("Python" can
                      > become "Py" without problems, but what about, say, "html", "xhtml",
                      > "dylan", "fscript", "applescript").

                      I can't think of any way to deal with the 16x16 icons in a consistent
                      way so I suggest we simply put the green diamond (without the "V") on
                      the 16x16 icon and leave out the extension. (Even the "V" is hard to
                      distinguish at 16x16 which is why I think we should leave it out.)

                      The one-letter (and maybe two-letter) extensions could have icons
                      similar to the XCode ones, but as for the rest I think there is not
                      much we can do. Maybe we can experiment with this more later on?

                    • Nico Weber
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 2, 2008
                        > The one-letter (and maybe two-letter) extensions could have icons
                        > similar to the XCode ones, but as for the rest I think there is not
                        > much we can do.  Maybe we can experiment with this more later on?

                        Sounds good. Let's get the original, blurry version merged first.
                        After that, I'll prepare a patch for the "nice 32x32" version, and
                        when that is merged, I'll see if I have come up with nice 16x16 until
                        then.

                        Nico
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 12, 2008
                          2008/12/2 Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...>:

                          >> The one-letter (and maybe two-letter) extensions could have icons
                          >> similar to the XCode ones, but as for the rest I think there is not
                          >> much we can do. Maybe we can experiment with this more later on?
                          >
                          > Sounds good. Let's get the original, blurry version merged first.
                          > After that, I'll prepare a patch for the "nice 32x32" version, and
                          > when that is merged, I'll see if I have come up with nice 16x16 until
                          > then.

                          Nico,

                          I've been trying to get the icon making stuff to work on Tiger and it
                          is not entirely unproblematic.

                          Problems with gettng 'makeicns' to compile:

                          1. makeicns.m won't compile because of:
                          i) use of Obj-C 2.0 iterators in getBitmapImageRepOfSize() (only one spot)
                          ii) kIconServices512PixelDataARGB is not defined (can be found in
                          IconFamily.m)
                          2. can't link makeicns because Intel versions of libraries not present
                          on PPC machines (ok if "-arch i386 is removed from the Makefile)

                          I did get the program to compile&link after fixing those two things
                          (that was the easy part).

                          Problems with make_icons.py:

                          1. I get this: "ImportError: No Module named Foundation". It seems
                          that the Foundation module is 10.5 only...is there any way to work
                          around this?

                          I'm not very familiary with Python so I couldn't get this step to work at all.

                          There is also a problem with 512 icons: the generic document icon does
                          not come in 512x512 on Tiger (only 128x128 as you suspected) and I
                          don't think the "IconFamily.m" module handles 512 icons on Tiger
                          either (see line 390).

                          It would be great if you could work around these issues on Tiger (by
                          only making 128 icons unless compiled on Leopard). If you can't then
                          I guess we'll have to add the .icns files to the repo. (?)

                        • Nico Weber
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 12, 2008
                            > I've been trying to get the icon making stuff to work on Tiger and it
                            > is not entirely unproblematic.

                            > Problems with make_icons.py:
                            >
                            > 1. I get this: "ImportError: No Module named Foundation".  It seems
                            > that the Foundation module is 10.5 only...is there any way to work
                            > around this?

                            Snap, Tiger doesn't support pyobjc.

                            > It would be great if you could work around these issues on Tiger (by
                            > only making 128 icons unless compiled on Leopard).  If you can't then
                            > I guess we'll have to add the .icns files to the repo. (?)

                            I don't think this is a good idea: Every time we change the generation
                            script, the repo grows a few MB. And every contributor has a local
                            copy of the repo. What if I simply change the script to create
                            symlinks to the MacVim icon when it runs on Tiger? Then people
                            building on Tiger will have somewhat useless document icons, but that
                            sounds like the lesser of two evil.

                            Nico
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
                              2008/12/13 Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...>:

                              >> It would be great if you could work around these issues on Tiger (by
                              >> only making 128 icons unless compiled on Leopard). If you can't then
                              >> I guess we'll have to add the .icns files to the repo. (?)
                              >
                              > I don't think this is a good idea: Every time we change the generation
                              > script, the repo grows a few MB. And every contributor has a local
                              > copy of the repo.

                              Yeah, I'd like to avoid this too.

                              >What if I simply change the script to create
                              > symlinks to the MacVim icon when it runs on Tiger? Then people
                              > building on Tiger will have somewhat useless document icons, but that
                              > sounds like the lesser of two evil.

                              If there is nothing that you can use instead of pyobjc then I guess
                              this is an ok compromise (anybody using Tiger who has an objection to
                              this, please speak up). I can also put an archive with all the
                              document icons on the project web page so that anybody on Tiger can
                              download them manually if they so wish.

                              The most important thing is that MacVim will build on Tiger without any hiccups.

                            • Ben Schmidt
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
                                >> What if I simply change the script to create
                                >> symlinks to the MacVim icon when it runs on Tiger? Then people
                                >> building on Tiger will have somewhat useless document icons, but that
                                >> sounds like the lesser of two evil.
                                >
                                > If there is nothing that you can use instead of pyobjc then I guess
                                > this is an ok compromise (anybody using Tiger who has an objection to
                                > this, please speak up).

                                Could we keep one generic MacVim document icon in the repo and link to
                                that, just so they look like documents, not applications? Or is that
                                what you meant?

                                Even if there is something that can be used instead of PyObjC, then this
                                seems like a good step to take until/unless someone has time and
                                inclination to implement in something else.

                                > I can also put an archive with all the
                                > document icons on the project web page so that anybody on Tiger can
                                > download them manually if they so wish.

                                Sounds good.

                                Ben.

                              • Steven Michalske
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
                                  On Dec 13, 2008, at 3:28 AM, björn wrote:

                                  >>> It would be great if you could work around these issues on Tiger (by
                                  >>> only making 128 icons unless compiled on Leopard). If you can't
                                  >>> then
                                  >>> I guess we'll have to add the .icns files to the repo. (?)
                                  >>
                                  >> I don't think this is a good idea: Every time we change the
                                  >> generation
                                  >> script, the repo grows a few MB. And every contributor has a local
                                  >> copy of the repo.
                                  >
                                  > Yeah, I'd like to avoid this too.

                                  use a git subproject?
                                  then it could link to the latest copy and would not require a growing
                                  repo.

                                  use a download?
                                  compiled resources don't always need to be in a source control
                                  repository.

                                • Nico Weber
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 14, 2008
                                    >>> What if I simply change the script to create
                                    >>> symlinks to the MacVim icon when it runs on Tiger? Then people
                                    >>> building on Tiger will have somewhat useless document icons, but
                                    >>> that
                                    >>> sounds like the lesser of two evil.
                                    >>
                                    >> If there is nothing that you can use instead of pyobjc then I guess
                                    >> this is an ok compromise (anybody using Tiger who has an objection to
                                    >> this, please speak up).
                                    >
                                    > Could we keep one generic MacVim document icon in the repo and link to
                                    > that, just so they look like documents, not applications? Or is that
                                    > what you meant?
                                    >
                                    > Even if there is something that can be used instead of PyObjC, then
                                    > this
                                    > seems like a good step to take until/unless someone has time and
                                    > inclination to implement in something else.

                                    The appended version uses the generic document icon on Tiger.

                                    Nico

                                  • Nico Weber
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 14, 2008
                                      >> I can also put an archive with all the
                                      >> document icons on the project web page so that anybody on Tiger can
                                      >> download them manually if they so wish.

                                      Since they are included with MacVim anyways, that doesn't seem
                                      necessary and means more work for you.

                                      Nico

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 15, 2008
                                        2008/12/15 Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...>:

                                        > The appended version uses the generic document icon on Tiger.

                                        Thanks, I can confirm that it works. It is a bit of a shame that
                                        building on Tiger gives you a blank (i.e. without the Vim diamond on
                                        top) generic document icon though...

                                        The remaining problem is to get makeicns to build with the rest of the
                                        project. It is not possible to simply call the makefile because
                                        linking fails if you pass "-arch i386" on PPC/Tiger. The best
                                        solution would be to build natively under the Debug/Release
                                        configurations and build universal (if possible) under the Universal
                                        configuration. Does anybody have any ideas of how to do this? (I
                                        don't much enjoy figuring these sort of things out myself I'm afraid.)

                                      • Nico Weber
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 15, 2008
                                          > The remaining problem is to get makeicns to build with the rest of the
                                          > project. It is not possible to simply call the makefile because
                                          > linking fails if you pass "-arch i386" on PPC/Tiger.

                                          What about simply leaving away the -arch flags in the Makefile?
                                          makeicns is only used during build-time, so it's ok if it's built only
                                          for the architecture of the mac running the build.

                                          Nico

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 15, 2008
                                            2008/12/16 Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...>:

                                            >> The remaining problem is to get makeicns to build with the rest of the
                                            >> project. It is not possible to simply call the makefile because
                                            >> linking fails if you pass "-arch i386" on PPC/Tiger.
                                            >
                                            > What about simply leaving away the -arch flags in the Makefile?
                                            > makeicns is only used during build-time, so it's ok if it's built only
                                            > for the architecture of the mac running the build.

                                            Duh! Of course...why didn't I think of that?

                                            Thanks,