Re: link errors: vim 6.2f on Mac OS X

  • MURAOKA Taro
    Message 1 of 19 , May 27, 2003
      Try attached file. I have placed same one at:
      http://www.kaoriya.net/testdir/osx_buildset-6.2f.006.tar.bz2

      Extract all files and set those in src directory and do:
      $ make -f Make_osx.mak

      I propose these files to be included in the release package, but is it
      too late?
      ----
      MURAOKA Taro <koron@...>
      Message 2 of 19 , May 27, 2003
        MURAOKA Taro wrote:
        > Try attached file. I have placed same one at:
        > http://www.kaoriya.net/testdir/osx_buildset-6.2f.006.tar.bz2
        >
        > Extract all files and set those in src directory and do:
        > $ make -f Make_osx.mak
        >
        > I propose these files to be included in the release package, but is it
        > too late?
        > ----
        > MURAOKA Taro <koron@...>

        Thanks to Muraoka Taro and Vince Negri. I am trying this solution first.
        I now get the errors below. If I read them correctly, the typedef for iconv_t
        has somehow been missed.

        If it makes a difference, I think I have upgraded my OS to 10.2.6 but am
        still using the Developer Tools from my original Jaguar CD (unless that also got
        updated by Software Update).

        --Benji Fisher

        os_macosx.c: At top level:
        os_macosx.c:273: parse error before "iconv_open"
        os_macosx.c:274: warning: return type defaults to `int'
        os_macosx.c: In function `iconv_open':
        os_macosx.c:276: `iconv_t' undeclared (first use in this function)
        os_macosx.c:276: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
        os_macosx.c:276: for each function it appears in.)
        os_macosx.c:276: parse error before "cd"
        os_macosx.c:286: `cd' undeclared (first use in this function)
        os_macosx.c:286: parse error before "alloc"
        os_macosx.c:324: warning: implicit declaration of function `iconv_close'
        os_macosx.c: At top level:
        os_macosx.c:335: parse error before "cd"
        os_macosx.c: In function `null_conv':
        os_macosx.c:338: `inbuf' undeclared (first use in this function)
        os_macosx.c:339: `outbuf' undeclared (first use in this function)
        os_macosx.c:343: `inbytesleft' undeclared (first use in this function)
        os_macosx.c:344: `outbytesleft' undeclared (first use in this function)
        os_macosx.c: At top level:
        os_macosx.c:372: parse error before "cd"
        os_macosx.c: In function `iconv':
        os_macosx.c:381: `cd' undeclared (first use in this function)
        os_macosx.c:387: `inbuf' undeclared (first use in this function)
        os_macosx.c:387: `inbytesleft' undeclared (first use in this function)
        os_macosx.c:387: `outbuf' undeclared (first use in this function)
        os_macosx.c:387: `outbytesleft' undeclared (first use in this function)
        os_macosx.c:497: `EILSEQ' undeclared (first use in this function)
        os_macosx.c: At top level:
        os_macosx.c:512: parse error before "cd"
        os_macosx.c: In function `iconv_close':
        os_macosx.c:514: `cd' undeclared (first use in this function)
        make: *** [ObjXU/os_macosx.o] Error 1
        [
      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 19 , May 27, 2003
          Taro Muraoka wrote:

          > Try attached file. I have placed same one at:
          > http://www.kaoriya.net/testdir/osx_buildset-6.2f.006.tar.bz2
          >
          > Extract all files and set those in src directory and do:
          > $ make -f Make_osx.mak
          >
          > I propose these files to be included in the release package, but is it
          > too late?

          It is quite late. Although including a few files probably won't hurt
          other systems, it seems we end up with an unorganized bunch of files for
          building the Mac versions. This is becoming a bit messy.

          At least the INSTALLmac.txt file would need to be updated to explain
          what all the files are for. For example, what make program is needed
          for this Make_osx.mak? And the file should give the casual user an idea
          of what version he will want to build.

          Perhaps it should be organized in sections for where you can run the
          produced Vim: OS 9, OS X native, OS X with X11, OS X in a terminal?
          Then make sub-sections for various compilers, if needed.

          --
          The acknowledged parents of reengineering are Michael Hammer and James Champy.
          When I say they're the "parents" I don't mean they had sex - and I apologize

        • Dany St-Amant
          Message 4 of 19 , May 27, 2003
            Oupsie, forgot to send a patch over os_mac.pbproj after I got Vim 6.2
            to compile.
            Here's the patch.

            Message 5 of 19 , May 27, 2003
              Dany St-Amant wrote:

              > Oupsie, forgot to send a patch over os_mac.pbproj after I got Vim 6.2 to
              > compile.
              > Here's the patch.

              I usually compile with Muraoka Taro's Make_osx.mak instead of Project
              Builder, so (unless I am confused) this patch does not affect me. Is it
              possible to get perl support and Aqua GUI compiling with pbxbuild?

              Can someone else test the compilation with Project Builder? We have to
              rewrite INSTALLmac.txt one of these days ...

              --Benji Fisher
            • Rain Dog
              Message 6 of 19 , May 27, 2003
                On Tuesday, May 27, 2003, at 08:49 AM, MURAOKA Taro wrote:

                > Try attached file. I have placed same one at:
                > http://www.kaoriya.net/testdir/osx_buildset-6.2f.006.tar.bz2

                Below is a tarball containing patches that address a few issues
                with these files:

                o infplist.diff patches infplist.xml to set CFBundleSignature
                to "VIM!" (instead of its current, default value of "????")

                o Make_osx.diff applies the following patches:
                - makes ICONV default to "no" (because os_macosx.c doesn't
                seem to compile with ICONV enabled)
                - adds a target that builds the Contents/Resources/gvim.rsrc
                file, which is needed for some of Vim.app's dialog boxes
                [Benji: It looks like your latest binary suffers from the
                inputdialog() crash because it lacks this file.]
                - changes the creator code in Contents/PkgInfo to "VIM!"
                - adds Python support, currently disabled (because if_python.c
                appears to be incompatible (?) with Python 2.2).

                Finally, unrelated to the above, os_mac_h.diff patches os_mac.h
                to prevent gcc from printing lots of "warning: trigraph ??' ignored"
                messages. (The patch replaces #define UNKNOWN_CREATOR '????' with
                #define UNKNOWN_CREATOR '\?\?\?\?'.)

                Peter

                ---------- 8< ---------- 8< ---------- 8< ---------- 8< ----------

                begin 644 patches.tgz
                M'XL(```````"`^U9^W/BR!'VK_9?T?9MSN!%Z,'+:.V]Q2![2<RC`#N^NKM2
                M"6D`E?4Z/5BXRA^?GM$#.<8DJ<VRJ839VF(>W3/=/3W?IQGWM&>BNL&J;)BS
                MV=&W*8(H"/5J]4C`TJC7V:\@Q6T!!RL5\8@.U(1JHRIB71"E6D4Z$H[V4*(@
                MU'Q<TB,A\7?(H=@W"]!W+!<7%]!+<\#6GH\G$<&.-4@-D`19JLJ5)E:$R@G'
                M<6]+2G)5E&M"+'GQLM`VB$));`!K`OQPW%%N'NZNUR0`UP=B>^$:"@:9:9$5
                MRG&[R.0>^MVG5,QQ<S+8%TL,E='];HEN3WE;X)0*M`?]Q]USW"F3B?(TV2W4
                M>[B?=.];_;MK2W/FXB\E^B/]5B[#WT"SK)R*XSHDU@%05IKM6220681IG"X!
                M:]Q>X_2>2OP\^3SH;Y5QW*\.93K%7B*Y+0.KM1(F*&O20%?KI9J4!KKW"-=@
                M+X&;8:,]:=V-L:V'VCS`-HV<JCPIV,5'@<]/38?WB&]AT$;*N#>ZHP,=LB26
                MB]W\Q'6M@!^1H$?\.?%Q`FK>?[3$$\*MI<W!B_[XPR);/6Y*I69CXW&S6A)%
                M,749X&G\<#,<JI.?ATJO-40GWA68JYWNJ,@KJ_`A--&1<.T16_-0@SC($=0=
                M3!88KL.%ZT#70=2<:3K!3G/FX+9`G$;8AJ2*,SLNMF-]*D=^AP+N=8FNR$2*
                MQ9R\BCETBT:D\;;,*>^QY:2RQ.NN,S/G3+RCW([A_35PG5AQV)I\OCX_DU]K
                M;>GB/4L+.4/SOYC.MF%L<>'S6R/&VK%<S=@V')@AX3Q-?];F)#@[!V;JX.;/
                MU-)WA<'#A,77G*FQ2MG-]7IK-?:O[#*U;K]]_]!18B^[;#'3T:W(()L%F>!]
                MY_:>9BV5NW\S:L!961=P$:BJ$=GVFE6'ZYZFJXKOXZ'D9KYFDR^N_PSC=1`2
                M.]_3=GTR)O[2U/$$Y_IOW<@QM-!TG=Q>TTS%)/&B$'H$5S9`,<P0ERC@:H,Q
                M/$$0>9[KAX#0`@4=#S<Q8#+N%?&<?]'6#`^2Q$()EK=4\IIBQ1M$(Y5$X3*E
                M&F;`O3DU,0)+1,S(8B:"I:V)#],U1('IS&&BM%^;1#M?6T$1#K$.XEIBR>9T
                MO,AN)E(L,K,WV=IKM0=C]4EEHTKO(09^L5X2I0R1]F`W'LJO,WMK^)N5DMB\
                MW*".)#1*$E)_XA=55CN#]N1IPA`G6!#$<W,&OP!'P'!U+ER%95-W`O@-/D"X
                M(`X0?>&^'/H`Q`I(//`!9F8QF7G,YM0,P_/)S%QA'1&:G:S4+;4U'!;3.MJ1
                MKZ--S&D*<`BO;4L+`E,'GP1NY&.V,^`;)2V8T:0OF`ZUD39L<&>@0=D/?!U-
                MLDB1]F:S/)HVVRG`K6HRPH7)P@R8)."O9@4N+O5[9/IX`J@FVU-4*U.B&8_:
                MS+?4GW<%=`1)J<C62TX:>3F98!9$7T*-2F2`P`2]/&3S89IG@^6<?6C9,D
                MW*>*E-LX9$BI5DLWC@(6DEY9E[/J*H`-.QPG[$%M0CMC<BD"Y_ENZ%(Q!(M$
                M.AM.N:>X&<I$KN`CO/NTV0WT,@>:U..ML"EGG)+22#$!/Z:#5K9QSSD$W4\[
                M)!%L7PWB"?C<>E18NWNG?L9V?Z#V6MW^)OK(FKX&!O'P6!%'7V/WQDHW4&U-
                MIU_/S,K!F!VH)[6C#)5^9ZPB#;ZY.=5+W(OL^SG>2<YT9CA3VC),'WZ--P)3
                M@ZW8=I&>G3#@A\_S+@K#EB':7_8L,PCIXJ?I;&G2R_GITW4Q3$&,4?D>.3E*
                MX^*+,?KI%B$7OIC)<_GL+N%9U&K=P$[X\4>@J06Y04Q`-PJI4KG,9P<`U\H^
                M$MEZ+&4;8DFZS##TOR%,F2`]I?\D9._SPG2(GOIBG%W[#>;6'*PC0#0J.6)]
                M.X+RBYOB%D%JY"<&WV=MGR"U(9<ENF<8W62,<^`,->]_PG*6X0'LWA_$)V?&
                M:N65;;TP9-NJ&\6S.(?PJUEJ7N9X>&]N/G9[I_MP<^ON-FIX='+WHXH@E"I"
                M\T4<4O+Y$V-A&>+?^#"U*:U>4=O?`P-GEKPRS".3PEY*4Z\,\_-\>A9#='RM
                M8O-Q1A!V`^C<QIB=W:8@N9S1'QDN$+(ORHL<,YT<'<J_4K(D^F[O?_0!4$C?
                M_RJU>HV]_]7%^N'];T_O?WD@^8?WOTH]>]6CH+!+LB$+E1WO?_@!4TVYX_CX
                MZIFL/[9O;QB)C1=X:WDD?H`7G''H(RI<\70\E@Q8ST>$0O51&5WQ27O+-.;<
                MT<+()XGV:4Z;,DA>];5V\H!C(\R.R!PMV6*#XLS1^\5F(G9Q8YXE,+E_SRAI
                M?`//#LCX_U'B2XFZ^)[X7Y52_*]4J]5Z\O>?Q@'_]U"Z>%%=R1"G07EQ<OWU
                MY634'K-G#1EX?1GXKAOR2]-F_^DM/EVKM#SQ"<(-6<;?@4N3PB2(9:EZ0K,1
                M.+R'^[2Y,8]22=HX%NLQ_R#G@(`,),F2"!Q-J6,V"47G3%BZS`E7962L:C,6
                MWLI7E4:C5+G,&.L'O-3/3(>`K2]4?8$7J$)0A+1"!;+7\5/@+Z`%]*F'7O%"
                MS0E!U^+GNJDY!\]WIQ:Q(70A6#NAMH*%.5]8^)]]#U_P]`\IR6H/_;_T!W_M
                MJ^V1TIH,1G!.>>P\1GF>V@47[*G((--H/D?U^-.=V9Y]NO^;MM,WPJ]P@*DG
                M<]`G+2V3IX;2M[(V3FM[F!^^C%;@A9:^=_FNG7K'=''R\U]_BO^=TY:V=$T#
                M,%WFON8MX(OF.[A:`(4:3_>TR-1VQBZ;;E?\#HQP*(=R*(=R*(=R*/_KY>_Z
                '_\#Z`"@``(OF
                `
                end
              • Bram Moolenaar
                Message 7 of 19 , May 28, 2003
                  Dany St-Amant wrote:

                  > Oupsie, forgot to send a patch over os_mac.pbproj after I got Vim 6.2
                  > to compile.
                  > Here's the patch.

                  No, it's not here...
                  Perhaps the maillist has a problem with the file. You can e-mail it
                  directly to me (and others), preferably uuencoded or something like
                  that.

                  --
                  Engineers understand that their appearance only bothers other people and
                  therefore it is not worth optimizing.

                  Message 8 of 19 , May 28, 2003
                    Rain Dog wrote:
                    > On Tuesday, May 27, 2003, at 08:49 AM, MURAOKA Taro wrote:
                    >
                    >> Try attached file. I have placed same one at:
                    >> http://www.kaoriya.net/testdir/osx_buildset-6.2f.006.tar.bz2
                    >

                    > Below is a tarball containing patches that address a few issues
                    > with these files:

                    Thanks for the patches. I have applied them and posted a new binary,
                    again with minimal testing.

                    > o infplist.diff patches infplist.xml to set CFBundleSignature
                    > to "VIM!" (instead of its current, default value of "????")

                    That is one of many things I did not test. I did a diff of the makefiles,
                    but they were too different for me to figure out what was missing.

                    > o Make_osx.diff applies the following patches:
                    > - makes ICONV default to "no" (because os_macosx.c doesn't
                    > seem to compile with ICONV enabled)

                    That is what I find, too. It also seems that gettext depends on iconv.

                    > - adds a target that builds the Contents/Resources/gvim.rsrc
                    > file, which is needed for some of Vim.app's dialog boxes
                    > [Benji: It looks like your latest binary suffers from the
                    > inputdialog() crash because it lacks this file.]

                    That is probably the best reason for me to update the binary.

                    > - changes the creator code in Contents/PkgInfo to "VIM!"
                    > - adds Python support, currently disabled (because if_python.c
                    > appears to be incompatible (?) with Python 2.2).

                    This does not work for me. I'll send you the error messages later (when I
                    find time).

                    > Finally, unrelated to the above, os_mac_h.diff patches os_mac.h
                    > to prevent gcc from printing lots of "warning: trigraph ??' ignored"
                    > messages. (The patch replaces #define UNKNOWN_CREATOR '????' with
                    > #define UNKNOWN_CREATOR '\?\?\?\?'.)

                    I noticed that warning, too. Can we make this little patch official?
                    (IMHO we do not need to make the extended comment a permanent part of the code:
                    just put that info in the patch description.)

                    I do not have time now to put all the files on my web site. For now,
                    anyone who wants to compile at home needs the extra files from Mraoka Taro, with
                    Peter Cucka's patches recommended.

                    Minor requests for make gurus:

                    1. I think there is still a "6.0" in infplist.xml . I changed it by hand to
                    "6.2f". IIUC, this file is processed by Make_osx.mak, so it should be possible
                    to do this automatically. Can anyone fix this?

                    2. The .rsrc file is distributed as a .hqx file. Can we add a rule for this?

                    --Benji Fisher
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 28, 2003
                      Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                      > Dany St-Amant wrote:
                      >

                      >>Oupsie, forgot to send a patch over os_mac.pbproj after I got Vim 6.2
                      >>to compile.
                      >>Here's the patch.
                      >

                      > No, it's not here...
                      > Perhaps the maillist has a problem with the file. You can e-mail it
                      > directly to me (and others), preferably uuencoded or something like
                      > that.

                      I put a copy on the web site. Here is the only link to it:

                      http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/files/project2.diff

                      I have still not tested it. Any volunteers?

                      --Benji Fisher
                    • MURAOKA Taro
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 28, 2003
                        Thanks for patches.
                        I'll include all, and propose those files again after 6.2 released.

                        > o infplist.diff patches infplist.xml to set CFBundleSignature
                        > to "VIM!" (instead of its current, default value of "????")

                        Thanks.

                        > o Make_osx.diff applies the following patches:
                        > - makes ICONV default to "no" (because os_macosx.c doesn't
                        > seem to compile with ICONV enabled)

                        I have a set of patches to enable and fix few bugs about ICONV.
                        I'll send those to list, later.

                        > - adds a target that builds the Contents/Resources/gvim.rsrc
                        > file, which is needed for some of Vim.app's dialog boxes
                        > [Benji: It looks like your latest binary suffers from the
                        > inputdialog() crash because it lacks this file.]
                        > - changes the creator code in Contents/PkgInfo to "VIM!"
                        > - adds Python support, currently disabled (because if_python.c
                        > appears to be incompatible (?) with Python 2.2).

                        Thanks lot!

                        > Finally, unrelated to the above, os_mac_h.diff patches os_mac.h
                        > to prevent gcc from printing lots of "warning: trigraph ??' ignored"
                        > messages. (The patch replaces #define UNKNOWN_CREATOR '????' with
                        > #define UNKNOWN_CREATOR '\?\?\?\?'.)

                        It seems good for me. But I'm afraid this change may cause trouble for
                        Classic Mac user when compile, may not?
                        ----
                        MURAOKA Taro <koron@...>
                      • MURAOKA Taro
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 28, 2003
                          > 1. I think there is still a "6.0" in infplist.xml . I changed it by hand to
                          > "6.2f". IIUC, this file is processed by Make_osx.mak, so it should be possible
                          > to do this automatically. Can anyone fix this?

                          Do you say about CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion? This 6.0 doesn't mean
                          Vim's version. It represents the version of this file format, and
                          shouldn't be changed. This is documented in here.
                          http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn2013.html
                          ----
                          MURAOKA Taro <koron@...>
                        • Rain Dog
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 28, 2003
                            On Wednesday, May 28, 2003, at 08:50 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

                            > Rain Dog wrote:
                            >> o Make_osx.diff applies the following patches:
                            >> - adds a target that builds the Contents/Resources/gvim.rsrc
                            >> file...
                            >
                            > The .rsrc file is distributed as a .hqx file. Can we add a rule for
                            > this?

                            I looked once but couldn't find a command-line tool (that ships with
                            OSX)
                            that processes BinHex files. StuffIt Expander would work ("open -a
                            StuffIt\ Expander os_mac.rsr.hqx"), but I'm not sure we want to be
                            invoking
                            it from a makefile.

                            >> - adds Python support, currently disabled (because if_python.c
                            >> appears to be incompatible (?) with Python 2.2).
                            >
                            > This does not work for me. I'll send you the error messages later

                            [Later that day...]
                            Thanks for the info! I think I've now fixed the problems with my
                            earlier
                            patch, as well as the if_python.c issues. However,

                            Patrick Curtain wrote:
                            > Any reason we don't compile with python support? The mac is shipping
                            > with it, fully supported.... does it pose difficulties that prevent
                            > including it everywhere?

                            Well, it appears that Apple neglected to ship a libpython library.
                            Unless that has changed in 10.2.6, which I haven't yet installed,
                            there can be no Python support in Vim, unfortunately, without custom
                            installation (via Fink, for example).

                            On Wednesday, May 28, 2003, at 10:26 AM, MURAOKA Taro wrote:

                            >> Finally, unrelated to the above, os_mac_h.diff patches os_mac.h
                            >> to prevent gcc from printing lots of "warning: trigraph ??' ignored"
                            >> messages. (The patch replaces #define UNKNOWN_CREATOR '????' with
                            >> #define UNKNOWN_CREATOR '\?\?\?\?'.)
                            >
                            > It seems good for me. But I'm afraid this change may cause trouble for
                            > Classic Mac user when compile, may not?

                            Hopefully, an OS 9 user can answer that question, but I'm pretty sure
                            that \? (backslash question-mark) is the ANSI C escape code for a
                            question mark, so I think it should be safe.

                            Peter
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 29, 2003
                              Rain Dog wrote:
                              > On Wednesday, May 28, 2003, at 08:50 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:
                              >
                              >> The .rsrc file is distributed as a .hqx file. Can we add a rule for
                              >> this?
                              >
                              > I looked once but couldn't find a command-line tool (that ships with OSX)
                              > that processes BinHex files. StuffIt Expander would work ("open -a
                              > StuffIt\ Expander os_mac.rsr.hqx"), but I'm not sure we want to be invoking
                              > it from a makefile.

                              I just "open os_mac.rsr.hqx". SE starts up, does its stuff (or unstuff ;)
                              and quits. Why not do it from the makefile?

                              >>> - adds Python support, currently disabled (because if_python.c
                              >>> appears to be incompatible (?) with Python 2.2).
                              >>
                              >> This does not work for me. I'll send you the error messages later
                              >
                              > [Later that day...]
                              > Thanks for the info! I think I've now fixed the problems with my earlier
                              > patch, as well as the if_python.c issues. However,

                              Glad to help!

                              > Well, it appears that Apple neglected to ship a libpython library.
                              > Unless that has changed in 10.2.6, which I haven't yet installed,
                              > there can be no Python support in Vim, unfortunately, without custom
                              > installation (via Fink, for example).

                              I have installed 10.2.6, and do not seem to have python installed under
                              /sw. Where do I look to see if libpython is installed?

                              --Benji Fisher
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 29, 2003
                                MURAOKA Taro wrote:
                                >>1. I think there is still a "6.0" in infplist.xml . I changed it by hand to
                                >>"6.2f". IIUC, this file is processed by Make_osx.mak, so it should be possible
                                >>to do this automatically. Can anyone fix this?
                                >

                                > Do you say about CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion? This 6.0 doesn't mean
                                > Vim's version. It represents the version of this file format, and
                                > shouldn't be changed. This is documented in here.
                                > http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn2013.html

                                I guess I goofed. Thanks for correcting me.

                                --Benji Fisher
                              • Emily Jackson
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 29, 2003
                                  On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 08:36 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

                                  > I just "open os_mac.rsr.hqx". SE starts up, does its stuff (or
                                  > unstuff ;) and quits. Why not do it from the makefile?

                                  Mac OS X launch services are so unpredictable, Expander *may* not start
                                  up using just "open filename". (The first time I tried to build Vim,
                                  "open os_mac.rsr.hqx" caused MacLink Plus to start up, not StuffIt
                                  Expander.) "open -a StuffIt\ Expander" would be much safer.

                                  Emily
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
                                    Rain Dog wrote:
                                    > Patrick Curtain wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> Any reason we don't compile with python support? The mac is shipping
                                    >> with it, fully supported.... does it pose difficulties that prevent
                                    >> including it everywhere?
                                    >
                                    > Well, it appears that Apple neglected to ship a libpython library.
                                    > Unless that has changed in 10.2.6, which I haven't yet installed,
                                    > there can be no Python support in Vim, unfortunately, without custom
                                    > installation (via Fink, for example).

                                    Is libpython required at run-time or only at link-time? I could install
                                    python from Fink, but I do not want to distribute a binary that fails to start
                                    up on standard OS X systems.

                                    --Benji Fisher
                                  • Rain Dog
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
                                      On Monday, June 2, 2003, at 06:16 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

                                      > Rain Dog wrote:
                                      >> Patrick Curtain wrote:
                                      >>> Any reason we don't compile with python support?
                                      >> it appears that Apple neglected to ship a libpython library.
                                      >
                                      > Is libpython required at run-time or only at link-time? I could
                                      > install python from Fink, but I do not want to distribute a binary
                                      > that fails to start up on standard OS X systems.

                                      It's statically linked, so that should work. Just make sure you build
                                      a version of libpython.a that's compatible with the runtime files (see
                                      /usr/lib/python2.2/) that ship with OSX. I think OSX's Python is v2.2,
                                      and Fink's is v2.2.2, which I guess is OK.

                                      Peter