Anybody tried the new Macbook/MBP?

  • 703designs
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 18, 2008
      Curious if you guys have some reviews. The 15" MBP is very tempting
      after being on my now-decrepit MacBook for the past 2½ years.
    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 18, 2008
        > Curious if you guys have some reviews. The 15" MBP is very tempting
        > after being on my now-decrepit MacBook for the past 2½ years.

        My girlfriend has the new Macbook. The new trackpad takes some getting
        used to (sometimes I right-click when I want to drag something, and
        the other way round), but apart from that, the new trackpad is very
        nice. Overall, it's a great machine. The trackpad supports using
        expose (all windows/show desktop) by dragging four fingers up/down
        (cool and useful), the battery lasts long, and the monitor is very
        bright (which makes the glossy screen a non-issue). I can recommend it.

        In my eyes, the only valid reason for getting the MBP is if you need a
        bigger screen and don't want to use an external monitor for that. The
        Macbook is cheaper and lighter, and it doesn't have a "which graphics
        card do you want to use?" setting ;-)

        Nico
      • PitPalme
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 19, 2008

          On 19 Nov., 05:41, 703designs <thomasmal...@...> wrote:
          > Curious if you guys have some reviews. The 15" MBP is very tempting
          > after being on my now-decrepit MacBook for the past 2½ years.

          I've got the new MB and am quite happy with it. Battery sadly doesn't
          lasts longer then with the white MB, but it's overal performance is
          good.

          It took me some time to get used to the new trackpad, but it's
          impressing!

          Me personally don't have a problem with the glossy display, but I
          don't have much dark backgrounds. But OTOH I have the impression it's
          *much* brighter than the one of my old, white, MB.

          I'm satisfied and I don't regret I bought it. All I need is my
          DisplayPort-adapter for being able to present using an ordinary
          beamer, but it should arrive the very next days.
          --
          Regards,
          Pit
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 19, 2008
            On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 8:41 PM, 703designs <thomasmallen@...> wrote:

            > Curious if you guys have some reviews. The 15" MBP is very tempting
            > after being on my now-decrepit MacBook for the past 2½ years.

            I'm typing this on a just over one-week old MBP. I moved up from my
            4-year old PowerBook G4 (which I loved) but I am completely blown away
            by this machine. It has one of the nicest (if glossy) displays I have
            ever seen anywhere.

            MacVim even scrolls through thousands of lines of code without
            stalling which has been a huge boost to my productivity. Hopefully it
            will last me for four years like the G4 did.

            --
            Stand Fast,
            tjg. [Timothy Grant]

          • 703designs
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 19, 2008
              I've seen the new laptops in person, and I may just buy my first non-
              Mac ever (and this is going way back). The exterior is gorgeous, but
              the black keys on silver and, more noticeably, the black screen frame,
              are pretty hideous to me. The real clincher is that these take battery
              life a step worse, and I've never been pleased with my Mac's battery
              over the past few years. The screens are definitely too reflective;
              I've never liked my Macbook's glossy screen because it always seems to
              give me trouble when working on comps.

              I really wish that Apple gave us more choice in this respect...I may
              end up running Linux on a ThinkPad (T) plus Windows virtualized for PS
              and Illustrator. But I hate to have to leave Mac OS, and one killer
              feature for Macs is font support.

              As you can see, I'm very conflicted.

              Thomas

              On Nov 19, 1:50 pm, "Timothy Grant" <timothy.gr...@...> wrote:
              > On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 8:41 PM, 703designs <thomasmal...@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Curious if you guys have some reviews. The 15" MBP is very tempting
              > > after being on my now-decrepit MacBook for the past 2½ years.
              >
              > I'm typing this on a just over one-week old MBP. I moved up from my
              > 4-year old PowerBook G4 (which I loved) but I am completely blown away
              > by this machine. It has one of the nicest (if glossy) displays I have
              > ever seen anywhere.
              >
              > MacVim even scrolls through thousands of lines of code without
              > stalling which has been a huge boost to my productivity. Hopefully it
              > will last me for four years like the G4 did.
              >
              > --
              > Stand Fast,
              > tjg.  [Timothy Grant]
            • Rick
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 1, 2008
                On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 1:59 PM, 703designs <thomasmallen@...> wrote:

                I really wish that Apple gave us more choice in this respect...I may
                end up running Linux on a ThinkPad (T) plus Windows virtualized for PS
                and Illustrator. But I hate to have to leave Mac OS, and one killer
                feature for Macs is font support.

                I've tried numerous times to stick to using Linux and always wind up feeling so much better when I switch back to OSX. Something just feels right when using my Mac. I can't even always put my finger on it, since I typically manage to get most things working how I like using Ubuntu or SuSE, it's just never the same though as how things 'feel' when using my mbp. OSX with Pathfinder installed (a must have finder replacement if you ask me http://cocoatech.com/ ) is the closest thing to a perfect OS. (Now that I've found Pathfinder my only beef with the Mac OS is  1) I can't stand how many applications, including some Mac specfic ones, like Safari will not maximize to full screen when the maximize button is hit and 2) It's silly that you can only drag one corner to resize windows. (Finder also sucked the big one compared to linux file managers, but pathfinder makes up for it.)

              • Jonathon Mah
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 1, 2008
                  On 2008-12-02, at 16:11, Rick wrote:

                  > (Now that I've found Pathfinder my only beef with the Mac OS is 1)
                  > I can't stand how many applications, including some Mac specfic
                  > ones, like Safari will not maximize to full screen when the maximize
                  > button is hit

                  (I don't understand why so many people like to maximize windows. The
                  message part of my Mail window is 400 pixels wide, and my compose
                  window is about the same. Most websites with hard-widths have them set
                  at 700-800 pixels, and fluid-width pages are terrible to read at much
                  greater. It's impossible to visually scan wide text. So why waste 55%
                  of my display on a web page's background? (I'm on 1440x900.))

                  > 2) It's silly that you can only drag one corner to resize windows.
                  > (Finder also sucked the big one compared to linux file managers, but
                  > pathfinder makes up for it.)

                  (I use <http://www.atomicbird.com/mondomouse>, there are others.)

                  Jonathon Mah
                  me@...

                • Rick
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008

                    On 2008-12-02, at 16:11, Rick wrote:

                    (I don't understand why so many people like to maximize windows. The
                    message part of my Mail window is 400 pixels wide, and my compose
                    window is about the same. Most websites with hard-widths have them set
                    at 700-800 pixels, and fluid-width pages are terrible to read at much
                    greater. It's impossible to visually scan wide text. So why waste 55%
                    of my display on a web page's background? (I'm on 1440x900.))

                    Plenty of web sites "DO" take advantage of the extra real estate. Also, you might have a side bar or bottom bar in firefox which takes up more width.

                    My question would be 'What good is the unused real-estate?' Not only does it look stupid having some background app showing off to the side, what good does it do not maximized? I don't think people use that extra app showing off to the side to click on it to get back to where they were (That's just a silly way to manage apps, since if you want to get back to the browser, you won't get back to it by following the same practice, so why try to get to the app 'behind' your browser by clicking off to the side. The point is the shrunk space is just wasted.). I could see if you wanted two windows open and you were doing work in one while looking at the other, but typically a 3/4 opened safari or web browser simply does nothing for you. You're just stuck with looking at 'junk' sticl off in the unused space.

                    I can see you occasionally wanting that extra 45% space (I use it sometimes like I said when I need to view windows side by side), but that unused space shouldn't be the 'norm' to display- or at least have maximize default to really maximizing then everyone gets what they want. (Yes I know about the javascript resize for browsers and I use that bookmarklet.)

                  • David Morel
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
                      Le 2 déc. 08 à 06:55, Jonathon Mah a écrit :

                      > On 2008-12-02, at 16:11, Rick wrote:
                      >
                      >> (Now that I've found Pathfinder my only beef with the Mac OS is 1)
                      >> I can't stand how many applications, including some Mac specfic
                      >> ones, like Safari will not maximize to full screen when the maximize
                      >> button is hit
                      >
                      > (I don't understand why so many people like to maximize windows. The
                      > message part of my Mail window is 400 pixels wide, and my compose
                      > window is about the same. Most websites with hard-widths have them set
                      > at 700-800 pixels, and fluid-width pages are terrible to read at much
                      > greater. It's impossible to visually scan wide text. So why waste 55%
                      > of my display on a web page's background? (I'm on 1440x900.))

                      simply because people don't use their display the way you do doesn't
                      mean there is no other way. I don't switch between applications the way
                      my wife does, but I quit trying to tell her the Best Way(r) because it
                      just doesn't work. I just try not to look at the screen while she uses
                      the mouse :-) And judging people's efficiency and productivity based on
                      assumptions gives you the same results as for optimizing software
                      without
                      benchmarking first: crap.

                      David
                    • Brian Wolven
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
                        On Dec 2, 12:41 am, Rick <ric...@...> wrote:
                        > On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 1:59 PM, 703designs <thomasmal...@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I really wish that Apple gave us more choice in this respect...I may
                        > > end up running Linux on a ThinkPad (T) plus Windows virtualized for PS
                        > > and Illustrator. But I hate to have to leave Mac OS, and one killer
                        > > feature for Macs is font support.
                        >
                        > I've tried numerous times to stick to using Linux and always wind up feeling
                        > so much better when I switch back to OSX. Something just feels right when
                        > using my Mac. I can't even always put my finger on it, since I typically
                        > manage to get most things working how I like using Ubuntu or SuSE, it's just
                        > never the same though as how things 'feel' when using my mbp. OSX with
                        > Pathfinder installed (a must have finder replacement if you ask mehttp://cocoatech.com/)
                        > is the closest thing to a perfect OS. (Now that I've
                        > found Pathfinder my only beef with the Mac OS is  1) I can't stand how many
                        > applications, including some Mac specfic ones, like Safari will not maximize
                        > to full screen when the maximize button is hit and 2) It's silly that you
                        > can only drag one corner to resize windows. (Finder also sucked the big one
                        > compared to linux file managers, but pathfinder makes up for it.)

                        I also use MondoMouse for resizing (and moving) windows from any
                        corner. For maximizing I just use an applescript and bind it to a
                        hotkey. Most apps play nice with that approach - although I haven't
                        got an intelligent approach for handling multiple monitors as of yet
                        (i.e., maximize only to the monitor the window is on...).

                      • Tobia Conforto
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
                          Brian Wolven wrote:
                          > I also use MondoMouse for resizing (and moving) windows from any
                          > corner. For maximizing I just use an applescript and bind it to a
                          > hotkey. Most apps play nice with that approach - although I haven't
                          > got an intelligent approach for handling multiple monitors as of yet
                          > (i.e., maximize only to the monitor the window is on...)

                          While we're on a OT thread :-) does anybody know a way to send the
                          current window to the back? Meaning behind all other windows. It's
                          the opposite of clicking on it, which will bring it to the front.

                          Some modifier + mouse click would be best, but a hotkey will do as well.

                          Tobia

                        • Zeba
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 3, 2008
                            For resizing you can also use Afloat (http://www.macupdate.com/
                            info.php/id/22237/afloat), which is even free.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 4, 2008
                              Never looked into it. Apple + ` is pretty close though.

                              Thomas