Re: how to run multiple Vims from Finder

  • Evgenii Rudnyi
    Message 1 of 4 , May 18, 2003
      Thank you for replies. However, I was not clear enough in my original
      message.

      >The simplest and easiest way is to create a shell script with the .sh
      >extension that calls vim as you would on the commandline. Make sure it
      is
      >executable, and you should be able to double-click it.

      This works. Well, by default the extension should be .command. In order
      to make .sh working, one has to configure Finder in Open With.

      The question is how to open Vim as a separate process by
      double-clicking a document in Finder? You cannot place file.command to
      the program part of the Dock. Finder considers it as a document for
      Terminal and not as a program.

      I was able to achieve it in Midnight Commander by configuring EDITOR
      variable, but in addition it would be good to have it also in Finder.
      Apple's Terminal does not support mouse. One can run Midnight Commander
      in xterm but this is already too messy.

      Best wishes,

      Evgenii Rudnyi
      --
      Institut fuer Mikrosystemtechnik IMTEK
      Mikrosystemsimulation
      Message 2 of 4 , May 18, 2003
        On Sunday, May 18, 2003, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

        >> The simplest and easiest way is to create a shell script with the .sh
        >> extension that calls vim as you would on the commandline. Make sure
        >> it is executable, and you should be able to double-click it.
        >
        > The question is how to open Vim as a separate process by
        > double-clicking
        > a document in Finder?

        This can be done with DropScript
        <http://www.advogato.org/proj/DropScript/>
        and the aforementioned shell script, though it would be nicer, of
        course,
        if similar functionality could be incorporated into Vim.app itself.

        I can post or email a DropGVim.app (~25K) if you'd rather not tackle
        this yourself.

        Peter