how to run multiple Vims from Finder

  • Evgenii Rudnyi
    Message 1 of 4 , May 14, 2003
      Hi,

      When I am working with several files, I prefer to run several Vim
      applications instead of working with Vim's windows.

      When I start Vim from the command like, I have it. Each Vim runs as a
      separate process and I have what I would like to have.

      How to reach the same behavior from Finder? Well, as far as I
      understand, this is more an Apple-related question, but it may be
      someone on this list already solved it.

      Best wishes,

      Evgenii Rudnyi
      --
      Institut fuer Mikrosystemtechnik IMTEK
      Mikrosystemsimulation
      Message 2 of 4 , May 14, 2003
        }
        } When I start Vim from the command like, I have it. Each Vim runs as a
        } separate process and I have what I would like to have.
        }
        } How to reach the same behavior from Finder? Well, as far as I
        } understand, this is more an Apple-related question, but it may be
        } someone on this list already solved it.

        The simplest and easiest way is to create a shell script with the .sh
        extension that calls vim as you would on the commandline. Make sure it is
        executable, and you should be able to double-click it.

        } Best wishes,
        } Evgenii Rudnyi
        --Greg
      • Evgenii Rudnyi
        Message 3 of 4 , May 18, 2003
          Thank you for replies. However, I was not clear enough in my original
          message.

          >The simplest and easiest way is to create a shell script with the .sh
          >extension that calls vim as you would on the commandline. Make sure it
          is
          >executable, and you should be able to double-click it.

          This works. Well, by default the extension should be .command. In order
          to make .sh working, one has to configure Finder in Open With.

          The question is how to open Vim as a separate process by
          double-clicking a document in Finder? You cannot place file.command to
          the program part of the Dock. Finder considers it as a document for
          Terminal and not as a program.

          I was able to achieve it in Midnight Commander by configuring EDITOR
          variable, but in addition it would be good to have it also in Finder.
          Apple's Terminal does not support mouse. One can run Midnight Commander
          in xterm but this is already too messy.

          Best wishes,

          Evgenii Rudnyi
          --
          Institut fuer Mikrosystemtechnik IMTEK
          Mikrosystemsimulation
          Universitaet Freiburg
          Georges-Koehler-Allee, Geb. 103
          D-79110 Freiburg
          Germany
          Tel. (+49 761) 203 7383
          Fax (+49 761) 203 7382
          http://www.imtek.de/simulation/
        • Rain Dog
          Message 4 of 4 , May 18, 2003
            On Sunday, May 18, 2003, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

            >> The simplest and easiest way is to create a shell script with the .sh
            >> extension that calls vim as you would on the commandline. Make sure
            >> it is executable, and you should be able to double-click it.
            >
            > The question is how to open Vim as a separate process by
            > double-clicking
            > a document in Finder?

            This can be done with DropScript
            <http://www.advogato.org/proj/DropScript/>
            and the aforementioned shell script, though it would be nicer, of
            course,
            if similar functionality could be incorporated into Vim.app itself.

            I can post or email a DropGVim.app (~25K) if you'd rather not tackle
            this yourself.

            Peter