Re: building in python2.5 support

  • Kevin Watters
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 11, 2008
      So my newly built macvim with

      ./configure \
      --enable-pythoninterp \
      --enable-cscope \
      --enable-multibyte \
      --enable-fontset \
      --enable-gui=macvim

      is up an running...I made sure to close my non-dev MacVim. But in the
      dev build the fonts are all wacky, and there's no items in the menubar
      other than the mac supplied "Window" and whatever. No "Preferences"
      option for instance. Then I noticed in Apple-Tab that there was
      another MacVim icon...when I select that one, there /is/ a menubar
      with items, but no windows.

      Then I followed the instructions on http://code.google.com/p/macvim/wiki/Building
      and changed CFBundleIdentifier in Info.plist to MacVimDevel and reran
      xcodebuild...but still the same result.

      Anyone have any ideas?

      On Nov 10, 8:08 pm, Kevin Watters <kevinwatt...@...> wrote:
      > kevins-macbook:vim7 kevin$ ./configure --enable-gui=macvim; make
      >
      > results in
      >
      > sh: /Users/kevin/src/vim7/src/auto/osdef.sh: No such file or directory
      > make[1]: *** [auto/osdef.h] Error 127
      > make: *** [first] Error 2
      >
      > "make reconfig" after that did work, though. Weird that that is
      > necessary.
      >
      > Thanks for the help guys.
      >
      > On Nov 10, 3:47 am, "björn" <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
      >
      > > 2008/11/10 Kevin Watters <kevinwatt...@...>:
      >
      > > > I'm interested in Python 2.5 support. These instructions don't work
      > > > for me on Leopard--
      >
      > > > /configure --enable-perlinterp --enable-pyttyhoninterp --enable-
      > > > rubyinterp --enable-cscope --enable-gui=macvim --with-mac-arch=intel --
      > > > with-features=huge
      >
      > > Another thing to try (apart from Ben's suggestions) is to do a minimal
      > > configure, i.e. start with
      >
      > > ./configure --enable-gui=macvim
      >
      > > and add flags one at a time to see which flag causes the error (or let
      > > us know if it appears even with that one flag only).  In particular,
      > > the --with-mac-arch=intel flag should be left out as I'm pretty sure
      > > it has caused problems in the past (the build is native by default, so
      > > unless you are building a universal binary or are cross-compiling you
      > > should not use that flag).
      >
      > > It has been reported on the Building wiki that it can be necessary to
      >
      > > make reconfig
      >
      > > before building as well.  Does that help?
      >
      > > Björn
    • Ches Martin
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 12, 2008
        > On Nov 10, 8:08 pm, Kevin Watters <kevinwatt...@...> wrote:
        > > sh: /Users/kevin/src/vim7/src/auto/osdef.sh: No such file or directory
        > > make[1]: *** [auto/osdef.h] Error 127
        > > make: *** [first] Error 2

        I got this error and then realized I was running configure and make
        from the vim7 root and not the src directory -- I'm guessing you
        realized the same since you posted further progress :-)

        On Nov 12, 12:19 am, Kevin Watters <kevinwatt...@...> wrote:
        > So my newly built macvim with
        >
        > ./configure \
        > --enable-pythoninterp \
        > --enable-cscope \
        > --enable-multibyte \
        > --enable-fontset \
        > --enable-gui=macvim
        >
        > is up an running...I made sure to close my non-dev MacVim. But in the
        > dev build the fonts are all wacky...

        I believe the official distro is built without the fontset option
        since it's not configured for X anyway, so maybe try omitting it?

        I had build problems similar to Kevin's, though, too. Trying to build
        for Python 2.5 support in Leopard, including ruby support seems to be
        the source of the trouble (and I need ruby too :-)). Building with a
        similar set of config options:

        ./configure --enable-gui=macvim \
        --enable-pythoninterp \
        --enable-rubyinterp \
        --enable-cscope \
        --enable-multibyte

        make runs fine until:

        gcc -L. -arch ppc -arch i386 -L/usr/local/lib -o Vim objects/
        buffer.o objects/charset.o objects/diff.o objects/digraph.o objects/
        edit.o objects/eval.o objects/ex_cmds.o objects/ex_cmds2.o objects/
        ex_docmd.o objects/ex_eval.o objects/ex_getln.o objects/fileio.o
        objects/fold.o objects/getchar.o objects/hardcopy.o objects/hashtab.o
        objects/if_cscope.o objects/if_xcmdsrv.o objects/main.o objects/mark.o
        objects/memfile.o objects/memline.o objects/menu.o objects/message.o
        objects/misc1.o objects/misc2.o objects/move.o objects/mbyte.o objects/
        normal.o objects/ops.o objects/option.o objects/os_unix.o objects/
        pathdef.o objects/popupmnu.o objects/quickfix.o objects/regexp.o
        objects/screen.o objects/search.o objects/spell.o objects/syntax.o
        objects/tag.o objects/term.o objects/ui.o objects/undo.o objects/
        window.o objects/gui.o objects/pty.o objects/gui_macvim.o objects/
        MMBackend.o objects/MacVim.o objects/if_python.o objects/if_ruby.o
        objects/os_macosx.o objects/os_mac_conv.o objects/netbeans.o objects/
        version.o -framework Cocoa -framework Carbon -lncurses -liconv -
        lacl -framework Python -lruby -lpthread -ldl -lm
        ld: warning in objects/buffer.o, file is not of required architecture
        ld: warning in objects/charset.o, file is not of required architecture
        <more snipped>
        Undefined symbols for architecture ppc:
        "_main", referenced from:
        start in crt1.10.5.o
        ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture ppc
        collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
        ld: warning in /usr/local/lib/libacl.dylib, file is not of required
        architecture
        lipo: can't open input file: /var/folders/XL/XLdLIuAPFbeQaJOa-6n-ME++
        +TI/-Tmp-//ccehNUjM.out (No such file or directory)
        make: *** [Vim] Error 1

        If I run the the gcc command manually, removing the '-arch ppc' flag
        that showed up there, it completes, and I can then run make again and
        end up with a successful build.

        By the way, I had the same issues as Kevin when '--with-mac-
        arch=intel' was specified when configuring: it would complain about
        not finding a terminal library. Adding '--with-tlib=ncurses' resulted
        in the next generic error Kevin listed (though including the option is
        not an issue if the arch one is omitted). It was tempting to try
        forcing the arch when something was creeping in trying to add ppc
        flags ;-)

        --
        Ches Martin

      • Kevin Watters
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 12, 2008
          > I believe the official distro is built without the fontset option
          > since it's not configured for X anyway, so maybe try omitting it?

          Actually I tried it without fontset first, and got the same result :/

          If you've got a working Py2.5 build Ches, are you willing to share? ;)
        • Jason Foreman
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 12, 2008
            On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 4:17 AM, Ches Martin <ches.martin@...> wrote:

            > Undefined symbols for architecture ppc:
            > "_main", referenced from:
            > start in crt1.10.5.o
            > ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture ppc

            > If I run the the gcc command manually, removing the '-arch ppc' flag
            > that showed up there, it completes, and I can then run make again and
            > end up with a successful build.

            You may need to:

            export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4

            I typically change the configure script to use the 10.5 SDK instead of
            10.4u when on Leopard.

            > By the way, I had the same issues as Kevin when '--with-mac-
            > arch=intel' was specified when configuring: it would complain about
            > not finding a terminal library. Adding '--with-tlib=ncurses' resulted
            > in the next generic error Kevin listed (though including the option is
            > not an issue if the arch one is omitted). It was tempting to try
            > forcing the arch when something was creeping in trying to add ppc
            > flags ;-)

            "--enable-rubyinterp" is the culprit here. The configure script runs
            Ruby to query the LDFLAGS with which it was built. It gets both
            arches in return and tries to use them. Either build a universal Vim
            (--with-mac-arch=both), or you'll have to edit the config (config.mk?)
            before building to remove the extraneous "--arch ppc".

            Long term, the Vim configure scripts need fixed for the Mac to remove
            the arch flags from Ruby's LDFLAGS. I believe this is already on the
            Vim todo list.

            Jason

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 12, 2008
              2008/11/12 Kevin Watters <kevinwatters@...>:

              > So my newly built macvim with
              >
              > --enable-multibyte \

              Mulitbyte is implied by --enable-gui=macvim so you can leave it out.

              > --enable-fontset \

              This is not supported so leave it out.

              > is up an running...I made sure to close my non-dev MacVim. But in the
              > dev build the fonts are all wacky, and there's no items in the menubar
              > other than the mac supplied "Window" and whatever. No "Preferences"
              > option for instance. Then I noticed in Apple-Tab that there was
              > another MacVim icon...when I select that one, there /is/ a menubar
              > with items, but no windows.
              >
              > Then I followed the instructions on http://code.google.com/p/macvim/wiki/Building
              > and changed CFBundleIdentifier in Info.plist to MacVimDevel and reran
              > xcodebuild...but still the same result.
              >
              > Anyone have any ideas?

              This sounds like some problem with the Vim binary. Try to rebuild
              first, i.e. in src/ type "make clean; make", then "cd MacVim" followed
              by "xcodebuild clean" and finally "xcodebuild". When it finishes
              building, type "open build/Release/MacVim.app".

              If that does not work, please do the following:

              1. After "make" (and still in the src/ directory), type "./Vim",
              you'll get a few errors which you can ignore, once in Vim type ":ver"
              and let me know what it says.

              2. Are there any errors logged to the console? Open up Console.app to find out.