Re: Ballon eval: planned? (also: installing PyClewn on Mac OS X)

  • Andrew Long
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
      On 9 Nov 2008, at 14:11, björn wrote:

      > 2008/11/9 Andrew Long <andrew.long@...>:
      ><snip/>
      > Let me know if you do start working on this.

      Well, I've downloaded the netbeans installation and will have look at
      it,
      then I'll have a look at the vim code. I'll get back to you in a couple
      of days.

      Regards, Andy

      --
      Andrew Long
      andrew dot long at mac dot com

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008

        On 09.11.2008, at 06:11, björn wrote:

        > Yes, so both netbeans and baloon_eval is needed. I don't think Nico
        > intended to implement netbeans though (or did you Nico?)

        No, I'm just looking at balloon_eval for the moment.

        Andy, regarding combining characters: If you have an english keyboard,
        you can write a lot of characters using the ⌥ key: hit ⌥u followed
        by a, o, or u for ä, ö, ü and ⌥s for ß. You can open System
        Preferences->International->Input Menu and make sure "Keyboard Viewer"
        at the top and "Show input menu in menu bar" are checked, then click
        on the flag in the menu bar in the top left of your screen, and choose
        "Show Keyboard Viewer'. When you now hit ⌥, the keyboard viewer
        displays which characters you can write. ⌥⇧k is  for example.
        This has the advantage over vim's digraphs that it works in all mac
        applications (digraphs on the other hand work on all vims, no matter
        the os :-P).

        Nico
      • Nico Weber
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
          >> 2008/11/9 Andrew Long <andrew.long@...>:
          >> <snip/>
          >> Let me know if you do start working on this.
          >>

          > Well, I've downloaded the netbeans installation and will have look at
          > it,
          > then I'll have a look at the vim code. I'll get back to you in a
          > couple
          > of days.

          By the way, `:h netbeans-protocol` gives a good overview. You probably
          can reuse the protocol parsing and handling code for all those
          messages, but it' still a good read.

          Nico

        • Andrew Long
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 12, 2008
            On 9 Nov 2008, at 17:10, Nico Weber wrote:

            >>> 2008/11/9 Andrew Long <andrew.long@...>:
            >>> <snip/>
            >>> Let me know if you do start working on this.
            >>>

            >> Well, I've downloaded the netbeans installation and will have look at
            >> it,
            >> then I'll have a look at the vim code. I'll get back to you in a
            >> couple
            >> of days.
            >
            > By the way, `:h netbeans-protocol` gives a good overview. You probably
            > can reuse the protocol parsing and handling code for all those
            > messages, but it' still a good read.

            Yes, I've had a 'once over lightly' at the protocol commands. It looks
            to me like, rather than balloon-eval relying on netbeans, it's
            vice-versa... The NB protocol specifies a couple of ballon functions
            (some of which the :he says are 'not implemented') but it looks like I
            may be dependent on you rather than the other way around.

            I'll keep looking at it for a few more days and will make a decision
            then.

            Regards, Andy

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 16, 2008
              On 9 Nov 2008, at 18:11, björn wrote:

              > 2008/11/9 Andrew Long <andrew.long@...>:

              <snip/>

              > Let me know if you do start working on this.

              Björn

              I'm afraid that I'm going to dip out on this one, sorry. I'd like a
              little more time to familiarise myself with the apple programming
              environment before I jump into something this serious.

              Having said that, I think it;ll be fairly straight forward for a
              programmer already familiar with the OS X programming paradigms. I'll
              try to become more familiar with the whole thing and maybe jump in
              later.

              regards, Andy