Re: Ballon eval: planned? (also: installing PyClewn on Mac OS X)

  • Andrew Long
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
      On 9 Nov 2008, at 11:54, mb wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > On Nov 9, 10:29 am, Andrew Long <andrew.l...@...> wrote:
      >> PS - I've searched the help for how to type combining characters and
      >> couldn't find a hint. I was trying to type your name properly, and
      >> was
      >> reduced to yanking it from the start of the mail :(
      >
      > What you are looking for is maybe digraphs. In insert mode
      > <C-k>o: gives me an ö. :digraphs shows the combinations.

      That sounds like it... Grüß Gott! And it works.

      One of the things I find difficulty with in searching the Vim
      documentation is the many different ways the feature that you're looking
      for may be indexed under. I was searching for 'composing' wihcih led me
      onto 'combining'. There may have been a reference to 'digraphs' there...
      no there aren't, at least not directly in the part of mbyte.txt that you
      jump to with ':he composing'. I assume from the context that the term
      'composing' is mainly for use in oriental/pictographic type languages
      (although, thinking about it, it'd probably be useful in implementing
      languages like arabic, where the shape of a character is affected by
      it's position...)

      Thanks, Meikel

      regards, Andy
      --
      Andrew Long
      andrew dot long at mac dot com

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
        2008/11/9 Andrew Long <andrew.long@...>:

        >> It is on my todo list but lately I've kind of busy so it will be a
        >> while before I get a chance to look into it. As far as I understand,
        >> what is needed is to implement the Netbeans protocol so if somebody
        >> else is interested in working on this please let me know.
        >>
        > That was me, and Jigod was the one who put me out of my misery by
        > pointing out that ballooneval wasn't in Mac GUI code. Although he didn't
        > say that it required netbeans :(

        I was probably wrong -- balloon_eval does not seem to require
        netbeans. Nico has told me he is going to look into implementing the
        balloon_eval feature.

        > That also seems to mess me up in terms of getting pyclewn running on
        > macvim, as it DEFINITELY requires netbeans integration. and there was me
        > about to download the macvim source and build it with netbeans)

        Yes, so both netbeans and baloon_eval is needed. I don't think Nico
        intended to implement netbeans though (or did you Nico?) so there is
        still something to do to get pyclewn working.

        > Ok Björn. How much work do you think it'll be to implement netbeans
        > support in macvim? I've got a couple of weeks vacation coming up and
        > it'll give me something to do....

        Well, looking quickly at the netbeans code it seems fairly
        straightforward -- do some initialization e.g. open a socket to listen
        to incoming connections and then pass socket messages on to the
        netbeans code as the arrive. You should probably utilize the
        Cocoa/CoreFoundation run loop for incoming connection attempts and
        messages. Anyway, look at how the other platforms handle netbeans to
        get a better idea as to what is required.

        One thing I did notice that will be a little problematic is that
        netbeans seems to want to be notified when the window position changes
        -- maybe this can be skipped initially. There may be other problems
        as well, but all in all I don't think it would take more than a couple
        of days to get this working.

        Let me know if you do start working on this.

      • Andrew Long
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
          On 9 Nov 2008, at 14:11, björn wrote:

          > 2008/11/9 Andrew Long <andrew.long@...>:
          ><snip/>
          > Let me know if you do start working on this.

          Well, I've downloaded the netbeans installation and will have look at
          it,
          then I'll have a look at the vim code. I'll get back to you in a couple
          of days.

          Regards, Andy

          --
          Andrew Long
          andrew dot long at mac dot com

        • Nico Weber
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
            Hi,

            On 09.11.2008, at 06:11, björn wrote:

            > Yes, so both netbeans and baloon_eval is needed. I don't think Nico
            > intended to implement netbeans though (or did you Nico?)

            No, I'm just looking at balloon_eval for the moment.

            Andy, regarding combining characters: If you have an english keyboard,
            you can write a lot of characters using the ⌥ key: hit ⌥u followed
            by a, o, or u for ä, ö, ü and ⌥s for ß. You can open System
            Preferences->International->Input Menu and make sure "Keyboard Viewer"
            at the top and "Show input menu in menu bar" are checked, then click
            on the flag in the menu bar in the top left of your screen, and choose
            "Show Keyboard Viewer'. When you now hit ⌥, the keyboard viewer
            displays which characters you can write. ⌥⇧k is  for example.
            This has the advantage over vim's digraphs that it works in all mac
            applications (digraphs on the other hand work on all vims, no matter
            the os :-P).

            Nico
          • Nico Weber
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
              >> 2008/11/9 Andrew Long <andrew.long@...>:
              >> <snip/>
              >> Let me know if you do start working on this.
              >>

              > Well, I've downloaded the netbeans installation and will have look at
              > it,
              > then I'll have a look at the vim code. I'll get back to you in a
              > couple
              > of days.

              By the way, `:h netbeans-protocol` gives a good overview. You probably
              can reuse the protocol parsing and handling code for all those
              messages, but it' still a good read.

              Nico

            • Andrew Long
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 12, 2008
                On 9 Nov 2008, at 17:10, Nico Weber wrote:

                >>> 2008/11/9 Andrew Long <andrew.long@...>:
                >>> <snip/>
                >>> Let me know if you do start working on this.
                >>>

                >> Well, I've downloaded the netbeans installation and will have look at
                >> it,
                >> then I'll have a look at the vim code. I'll get back to you in a
                >> couple
                >> of days.
                >
                > By the way, `:h netbeans-protocol` gives a good overview. You probably
                > can reuse the protocol parsing and handling code for all those
                > messages, but it' still a good read.

                Yes, I've had a 'once over lightly' at the protocol commands. It looks
                to me like, rather than balloon-eval relying on netbeans, it's
                vice-versa... The NB protocol specifies a couple of ballon functions
                (some of which the :he says are 'not implemented') but it looks like I
                may be dependent on you rather than the other way around.

                I'll keep looking at it for a few more days and will make a decision
                then.

                Regards, Andy

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 16, 2008
                  On 9 Nov 2008, at 18:11, björn wrote:

                  > 2008/11/9 Andrew Long <andrew.long@...>:

                  <snip/>

                  > Let me know if you do start working on this.

                  Björn

                  I'm afraid that I'm going to dip out on this one, sorry. I'd like a
                  little more time to familiarise myself with the apple programming
                  environment before I jump into something this serious.

                  Having said that, I think it;ll be fairly straight forward for a
                  programmer already familiar with the OS X programming paradigms. I'll
                  try to become more familiar with the whole thing and maybe jump in
                  later.

                  regards, Andy